diy solar

diy solar

HQST vs Renogy?

Lewi

Is there a good reason to purchase Renogy solar panels when HQST panels are coming from Renogy? I ask because I ordered HQST and Renogy customer service sent me the shipping label. Also going to both company's website shows that they are at the same physical address. Are the HQST panels just Renogy cells that didn't the higher efficiency?

Well... Renogy panels cost alot more than HQST so it doesn't seem to make any sense to get the Renogy.

My 100 watt Renogy have put out as much as 96 watts. Not typical, but peak.

I’m upgrading my small system and based on Will’s test of the 4 most popular solar panels on Amazon I ordered a 100w HQST panel to connect to my existing Renogy 100w panel (less than 2 years old).
I plan to connect the new panel in series with my less than 2 year old Renogy panel. Does anyone see that being a problem?

I’m upgrading my small system and based on Will’s test of the 4 most popular solar panels on Amazon I ordered a 100w HQST panel to connect to my existing Renogy 100w panel (less than 2 years old).
I plan to connect the new panel in series with my less than 2 year old Renogy panel. Does anyone see that being a problem?
Please post the specs for each. Thanks.

Listed on their respective websites are
open circuit Renogy- 22.5 HQST - 21.4
max voltage Renogy - 600v HQST - 600v
optimum Volt Renogy - 18.9 HQST - 18.2
optimum amp Renogy - 5.29 HQST - 5.5
Is that enough information?

I forgot to ask what you have for a solar charge controller (SCC). PWM style or MPPT? Make and model will help so we can figure out what the max PV input voltage is as well. If you've got a PWM SCC, you'll want to connect those panels in parallel.

From the forum FAQ:

Below is a reference for understanding the impact of combining panels with different specs:

Thanks for the linked information.
I‘m upgrading my controller as well.
Epever MPPT 30amp 150v PV

After reading the mixing solar panels article I feel like it’s ok to connect these in series. I was more concerned about safety and equipment issues. If I’m interpreting this article correctly, I will be limited by the lowest rated of these two panels. At least on paper they are so similar I think the benefit of a series connection outweighs the efficiency issues.

My system is a small backyard off grid system that is more of a hobby system than a critical need system. I want it to be as efficient as possible but that’s not critical. The cheaper HQST was the driving factor for me in this system upgrade.

Are there safety and/or equipment concerns that I’m missing?

I'm not an expert on mismatched panels (all of mine used together currently match) so I don't want to give you bad safety advice, or ignore your question. I've seen various threads on here discussing mixing and matching that have additional info that may assist you. Here are some that I was able to locate quickly:

Bob142 I appreciate the information and you responding to my question. Additional research material is always welcome. I’m certainly not an expert so the more information I can gather to help me learn is a good thing.

Back