diy solar

diy solar

HS10048D and Air Conditioning

Cduck28z

Hey guys, I've been looking for a NEMA3x or IP65 rated inverter for a while now and thought I found the perfect unit. After writing to their engineering department, I regret to inform you that "the HS10048D inverter is transformerless, it is not designedt to power inductive loads with motors."

I have a 5ton ac unit for my house and it is not recommended to use this inverter to power such a large motor. It's frustrating that nowhere in their description or documentation does it mention this but I'm glad I reached out to them. Just thought I would share in case someone out there is thinking about running their house or shop with a larger motor.

Also, any suggestion on a split phase outdoor rated inverter. I need an absolute minimum of 6kW but really 8kW would be safer. Honestly I was hoping for 10-12kW in case I wanted to expand in the future.

I need an absolute minimum of 6kW but really 8kW would be safer. Honestly I was hoping for 10-12kW in case I wanted to expand in the future.
A quality Low Frequency Inverter should have no problem running a 5 ton AC. I would highly recommend installing a soft starter on the compressor. I've had good luck with a HyperEnginneering Brand on a 4 ton Goodman. A Schneider XW Pro 6848 would be a good choice but it does not have the outdoor rating you are looking for.

Have you checked the LRA of your 5 ton unit? Unless it's inverter-type, you're going to have a mega-surge.
127a starting current. I am absolutely planning on running a soft start for my ac unit. I've got the Micro-Air 368 Advanced Soft Starter (ASY-368-X72) in my cart right now. Seems to get good reviews, just need to pull the trigger.

A quality Low Frequency Inverter should have no problem running a 5 ton AC.
From our email chain:

"The problem is, the HS10048D is high frequency inverter, it is less reliable in powering up inductive loads."

127a starting current. I am absolutely planning on running a soft start for my ac unit. I've got the Micro-Air 368 Advanced Soft Starter (ASY-368-X72) in my cart right now. Seems to get good reviews, just need to pull the trigger.
Have the same one installed, dropped my start current to around 45a. Running my whole house on two LV6548s

With a soft starter, two Sol-Ark 12K or a 15K may start it if you have a big battery bank.

Have the same one installed, dropped my start current to around 45a. Running my whole house on two LV6548s
You serious? I'm consuming 16kW of my two SolArk 18K output at certain times. All electric home.

Just hit the buy button. 3 weeks to ship unfortunately. Seems like it would help the life of your compressor from what I've seen online; significantly less violent than a standard startup.
I don’t have experience with it, but have a look at the LVX6048WP from MPP Solar. They are waitlist with Ian at Watts247, but it might do what you need.

Just hit the buy button. 3 weeks to ship unfortunately. Seems like it would help the life of your compressor from what I've seen online; significantly less violent than a standard startup.
I replaced mine with a 20 SEER American Standard HP system. All inverter or variable speed motors. Very gentle on inverters, 26%~100%.

I'm using a Micro-air soft start on a 3.5 ton a/c. I ran it before I ordered inverters. No problem staring it with other loads, pool, window unit, evap with two 6500EG's. It comes one when needed. I think it was pulling around 19 amps per leg on start, it's been a while since I checked. I have a 2 ton ton my garage with no soft start and I have to shut every large load off or it trips the inverters, It will run it though once going. The soft starts make a huge difference.

Back