diy solar

diy solar

Huawei Powecube 1000 ESM-B02 and GroWatt SPF5000

rfaust88

Hey Guys!

I have some Second Life telecom Lithium Batteries "Powercube 1000 ESM-B02" from Huawei.
They run with 48V and have 100Ah. I want to connect those with our GroWatt Inverter, but haven't
success so far.
1. I tried to connect the batteries' BMS with the Inverter via a RJ45-cable, but they would not comunicate.
I don't know which of the more than 50 protocols to choose and even don't now if the GroWatt does support the
Huaweis Protocol. Does anybody now where to find a list of the supported protocols by Huawei?

2. My seccond attemp was to connect the batteries like "generic" ones without data cable comunication.
So I would start the batterie by connecting its PWR-Port directly to + and - pol of the battery by opening the batteries case.
The batterie would but and after aprox. 3 Minutes the batteries BMS would switch the internal relais to ON and I could use batteries for discharging and charging.
BUT after a couple of hours the relais would switch to OFF again. If I am restarting the batterie again the SOC is indicating 0% even so the volmeter shows fully charged batteries! The relais does not switch to ON again either. That already happend to 3 batteries and realy don't now what to do anymore.

Can anybody help me please?

Curious if you ever figured this one out? I'm about to start working with some PowerCube components as well.

Hi. Do you have any updates with the communication between growatt and the Huawei batterie? I have the Huawei 48v EMS-48100U2
i have a not found away way to make them communicate and the growatt app is very inaccurate for battery level. I would like to find some way to connect a separate battery monitor so I have a more accurate information. If there is a simple way to connect directly to the batteries to monitor them I would love to know what, how and where. Thanks

I am interested in this too. I have a pair of ESM-48150B1 and I am trying to hve them communicate with the growatt 5000es

I have a system using 2x ESM48100B3 bats in parallel. In the past I used them with growatt 5000W inverters, but with now RS485 / modbus connection. The Huawei bats use Modbus RU protocol but it's implemented a little out-side of the Modbus spec so I wouldn't expect any non Huawei equipment to be able to communicate with it. After hours of searching I ran into this support article describing a Huawei maintenance tool that can communicate with the batteries, read internal cell voltages etc. from a PC over a custom rs485 cable. (pdf attached in case they take the link down)

Sadly access to the tool is quite restricted, and Huawei support just spun me round and round when I asked for it.
Long story short I found someone with the tool, and was able to finally connect from my pc and read out the voltages while doing a serial log/sniff.
As I have an EPEver XTRA charge controller & NP2000 inverter that work with the batteries now, I decided to give a go at creating a little c# app that let's me pull data out of the charge controller and the Huawei Batteries...

The code is available here on Github: https://github.com/TruthData/SimpleModbusCommander

I use a stock EPEver USB-RS485 cable for communications with their charge controller, and followed the instructions on the support article above for building a custom usb-rs485 cable for the Huawei using a $3.50 USB to RS485 Converter FT232 RS-485 Max485 Adapter FTDI FT232RL

I hope the above is a blessing to folks...

Attachments

• Collect the Li-battery running log with Maintenance tools by RS485 port.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 37
I have a system using 2x ESM48100B3 bats in parallel. In the past I used them with growatt 5000W inverters, but with now RS485 / modbus connection. The Huawei bats use Modbus RU protocol but it's implemented a little out-side of the Modbus spec so I wouldn't expect any non Huawei equipment to be able to communicate with it. After hours of searching I ran into this support article describing a Huawei maintenance tool that can communicate with the batteries, read internal cell voltages etc. from a PC over a custom rs485 cable. (pdf attached in case they take the link down)

Sadly access to the tool is quite restricted, and Huawei support just spun me round and round when I asked for it.
Long story short I found someone with the tool, and was able to finally connect from my pc and read out the voltages while doing a serial log/sniff.
As I have an EPEver XTRA charge controller & NP2000 inverter that work with the batteries now, I decided to give a go at creating a little c# app that let's me pull data out of the charge controller and the Huawei Batteries...

The code is available here on Github: https://github.com/TruthData/SimpleModbusCommander

I use a stock EPEver USB-RS485 cable for communications with their charge controller, and followed the instructions on the support article above for building a custom usb-rs485 cable for the Huawei using a $3.50 USB to RS485 Converter FT232 RS-485 Max485 Adapter FTDI FT232RL

Last edited:

You mentioned that you connected the battery to the growat sp5000 inverter via the RS485 Moudbus protocol Did the BMS communicate with the adapter and how was the way to connect the BMS with the inverter

Last edited:
You mentioned that you connected the battery to the growat sp5000 inverter via the RS485 Moudbus protocol Did the BMS communicate with the adapter and how was the way to connect the BMS with the inverter
PC <--RS485--> Huawei ESM battery
The growatt or other inverters cannot speak "Huawei-eese" - (the odd/custom Huawei implementation of ModbusRU)

Could someone provide the Modbus RS485 executable for the monitoring of the Huawei ESM-48100U2. I don't know how to program or compile the code.

Last edited:
Back