diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid inverter charger MPPT range

BigGElmo

Hi, this is one of those questions where I think I know the answer but need it confirmed.
I'm installing an Iconica hybrid inverter charger in my van and the MPPT operating range is 30-150vdc.
I'm using 2 295w solar panels with a Vmp of 30.93vdc each.
So the question is . ....... If the panels are wired in parallel ( 30.93v 590w) is the Vmp only just over the MPPT 30vdc threshold ?
Would it be better to wire the panels in series to double the Vmp voltage ?

Yes, it would be better.

I believe the MPPT ‘range’ means that the charge controller resorts to PWM outside of that window. Since ypur panels can only make Vmp in good solar conditions, wiring them in series would allow the controller to operate in the more efficient MPPT mode, for much more of the time. The only time it would make ‘no difference’ is under near perfect solar conditions, and dont hold your breath on that.. And that’s IF you dont drop a volt in the wiring, and IF the controller does EXACTLY what the spec book says it does! So yes, series would be more forgiving and overall more efficient.

I'm in a similar situation. I have 6, 200w panels (20.4vmp/24.3voc each) wired in 2 parallel series of 3 for a total of 1200w, 61.2 vmp/72.9 voc.
I originally bought them as part of a 24v kit with 60a controller from Rich Solar but the components were recalled b/c of a design flaw.
They've offered to "upgrade" me to a 48v setup with their 3000w hybrid inverter (80A charge controller) but it has an operating range of 60- 115vdc which I will barely hit under ideal circumstances with my current panel configuration and stringing all 6 in series takes me we'll above the voltage range...
Short of buying two more panels and adding one to each of my series strings I can't think of a way to wire my panels to hit the sweet spot for this new inverter/charger. Any ideas? Or should I ask the company to ship it back?

There are many times when a single panel on series won’t make voltage. Cloudy/shady or sunny an hot weather .

Back