diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid inverter options for a holiday home

StartledP

So Im looking for some advice on picking up a smallish hybrid inverter for a holiday home in Europe and would very much appreciate some assistance. Here are the prereqs:

• PV power from 1200-2000 watts but could be more, AC inverter power around 3000 watts, offering both grid tie (supplementing existing grid supply would be very handy as we are limited to 220v/30amps from the grid) and off grid modes with a user definable battery option.
  • Will be running lights/fridges etc so needs to run 24/7, peeing in the dark isnt really an option for the misses.
  • The old mechanical electricity meter on the property runs backwards so I don't want a limiter. The inverter will run when we are not there tro offset our power bill.
  • Max Budget is around 400 euros/450 dollars,
  • Im fairly technical and experienced in solar setups so ease of use isnt really a factor.

So far Ive considered the following options:

• WIFI Solar Inverter 230Vac 24Vdc 500VDC 80A MPPT Solar Charger Support Mobile Monitoring USB LCD Controlller

Pros - Does exactly what I need, works with a large PV array, ships from the EU (BIG plus).

Cons - Im worried this has the standard issue of a 50-80w vampire power draw, making it pretty much useless with a small PV array.

Next up the ubiquitous Sunhome GTIL, although this is supposedly the "1200w" model:

Pros - Cheap, supposedly reliable, stackable (very handy as I might well run a seperate mobile array).

Cons - From what I read, horribly inefficient (Ive read around 75% or so on this forum) which means not only poor production but that its also going to run hot. Crappy AC inverter, only 700 watts or so.

If anyone has any info to share, other models I should look at or even alternative strategies that dont use a hybrid (because they seem to be a poor choice for this use case) please let me know. Id very much appreciate the input.

are you saying you want to grid tie (back feed the meter)? I don't believe either of these are an option

are you saying you want to grid tie (back feed the meter)? I don't believe either of these are an option
Yes, I would like to feed back into the grid and I was reasonably sure its a configurable option on both units. In Europe its a must have in many countries as we get paid by the provider for feeding back power.

yes the 1200w did say grid tie... keep this posted on what you end up with

So far Ive considered the following options:

• WIFI Solar Inverter 230Vac 24Vdc 500VDC 80A MPPT Solar Charger Support Mobile Monitoring USB LCD Controlller

Pros - Does exactly what I need, works with a large PV array, ships from the EU (BIG plus).

Cons - Im worried this has the standard issue of a 50-80w vampire power draw, making it pretty much useless with a small PV array.
Hi StartledP,

Looks like I have the same system, but rebranded as SunD. Check my setup Here. I have added the user manual for that system there as an attachment. I did not see any grid-tie / backfeed options in the manual though.

I do have some issues with that system, one being that it keeps feeding the battery with a (trickle)-charge as it does not have a LifePo charging profile. It looks great on paper.

Also: The minimum PV input voltage is 120V for this system. So this might pose a minimum to your amount of PV panels.

Back