diy solar

diy solar

hybrid inverter without solar

batterydoctor

Planning to make a large battery, like 20-30kWh and charge that at cheap hours, and use/discharge at expensive hours. Making the battery is not an issue for me as I design and assemble those at my job, but the inverter and home installation part is new for me.

My first thought was to have a bidirectional DC-AC grid tied inverter and control that with a raspberry, but those inverters seem only available as very expensive industrial units.

So a consumer hybrid inverter seems to be a more cost effective solution, however they all have the solar option which I'm not going to use (yet). I did some homework, and the only inverters I could find are Deye inverters which seem to be able to charge from the grid and discharge to the grid independent from solar. Its possible to program some timeslots to (dis)charge the battery. Thinking to use the 1phase 5kW SUN-5K-SG04-LP1EU unit as I'm not going to use more then 5kW, and if I do the grid can deliver the extra required amount.

Does that make sense or are there more sensible options? Searched a lot but couldnt find it. Input appreciated!

Last edited:
sunsynk = deye = sol-ark
and there are more options, like mpp, but most hybrid inverter support charging and discharging from the Grid without solar...

sunsynk = deye = sol-ark
and there are more options, like mpp, but most hybrid inverter support charging and discharging from the Grid without solar...
ah ok thanks! Couldnt find other then deye (alike) hybrid inverters which can be programmed to (dis)charge at certain time. They all seem to charge from solar and discharge to grid. So without solar how would they charge? Or maybe they do but the manual is not clear to me.

they would charge from the grid, and Time of Use are the sunsynk/deye settings your looking for.
keith (sunsynk) has released a full traner course on the deye/sunsynk/sol-ark inverter on tge sunsynk youtube channel ..
this may help you understand the workings of it

SMA has moderately expensive residential/commercial AC coupled battery inverters. Some are intended for time-of-use situations, some for zero export PV system. Grid tied, or with internal or external relays to provide backup as well.
For lithium batteries, certain models are listed. You might have to make a protocol converter if using a different BMS.

Sunny Boy Storage and Sunny Island, around $2500 to $6000.

Back