diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid Mini Split Air Conditioner

Tom McFadden

Has anyone had any experience with a YMGI Solar DC Inverter12000 btu mini split air conditioner/heat pump? The Model 56 I am installing hooks up to the grid with a 230 single phase connection and up to four 250 watt solar panels. The four 250 watt panels I installed connect directly to the outside unit, it has all the necessary circuitry internal for the control. The grid powers the compressor on startup then the dc power takes over. It is supposed to save as much as 80% on your electric costs to power the unit. I am using it to cool a well insulated wine cellar that I keep at 62 degrees F. We will see if can handle the load the way that a 24000 btu 230 single phase window unit has worked for the last 8 years. I can always add more insulation. Living in Central California has it's hot days in the summer to contend with but plenty of sun for the panels too. I've had a Vivint installed system since 2013 on the house and it's worked out well. They own the system on my roof and cover all the maintenance costs. So far the early Enphase micro inverters have failed and most have been replaced with new models that last a lot longer. I got in early and buy the power that the system produces at 13.5 cents a kwh. I do have a true up with PG&E between $1200 and $1400 a year for the power that I buy from them. I will be able to see just how much the YMGI unit saves me a year from now and determine how quickly the payback takes. The unit cost about $2,000, the electrical hookup parts about $400, four used Canadian Solar panels and the Iron Ridge mounting system $400, I did the labor myself but had to buy some special tools for flaring the copper line set etc. and borrowed the vacuum pump to purge the lines before releasing the R410A. I've got an electronics background and have worked on automotive HVAC systems and understand what is going on with the installation.

Has anyone had any experience with a YMGI Solar DC Inverter12000 btu mini split air conditioner/heat pump? The Model 56 I am installing hooks up to the grid with a 230 single phase connection and up to four 250 watt solar panels. The four 250 watt panels I installed connect directly to the outside unit, it has all the necessary circuitry internal for the control. The grid powers the compressor on startup then the dc power takes over. It is supposed to save as much as 80% on your electric costs to power the unit. I am using it to cool a well insulated wine cellar that I keep at 62 degrees F. We will see if can handle the load the way that a 24000 btu 230 single phase window unit has worked for the last 8 years. I can always add more insulation. Living in Central California has it's hot days in the summer to contend with but plenty of sun for the panels too. I've had a Vivint installed system since 2013 on the house and it's worked out well. They own the system on my roof and cover all the maintenance costs. So far the early Enphase micro inverters have failed and most have been replaced with new models that last a lot longer. I got in early and buy the power that the system produces at 13.5 cents a kwh. I do have a true up with PG&E between $1200 and $1400 a year for the power that I buy from them. I will be able to see just how much the YMGI unit saves me a year from now and determine how quickly the payback takes. The unit cost about $2,000, the electrical hookup parts about $400, four used Canadian Solar panels and the Iron Ridge mounting system $400, I did the labor myself but had to buy some special tools for flaring the copper line set etc. and borrowed the vacuum pump to purge the lines before releasing the R410A. I've got an electronics background and have worked on automotive HVAC systems and understand what is going on with the installation.
Interesting, I am just starting to research splits for two rental units. I was going to ask how the heaters work, but you don't use them. your name sounds familiar, are you friends with Steve Hanway?

Back