diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid PIP-2424LV, Will these work as local Grid (house grid) Assist?

subarudrew82

I have a question about this inverter. With the "grid-tie (feedback to utility grid)" turned off will the inverter still work as a local grid (house grid) assist. ie. will it still feed power(or better said supplement power) to the load even with utility power present? Or is it only an off-grid inverter when not using the grid-tie feature.
Hope that is correct way to ask that question.
Thank you

PS An example of what i mean: If I have the inverter priority in Solar->Battery->Utility order and the grid-tie feature off and I have a 5000w load. Would if produce 2400w from solar/battery (assuming solar array would supply enough for the inverter to max) would it continue to supply 2400w to the load and the 2600w remaining needed from utility power to produce the 5000w needed for the load. Or would the inverter fault (or shutdown) because it could supply the 5000w from the inverter output?

Thank you for your reply. I apologize did not know that was bad etiquette to cross post was just trying to find the best venue to post in. The articles you referenced are not to my inverter. I have the Hybrid pip-2424lv as stated in title. I also have the manual(s) to my inverter and it does not has sufficient info to answer my question. This was the need for the thread post to begin with.

not to my inverter. I have the Hybrid pip-2424lv as stated
There are two 2424LV models: the 2424LV-HS which is a PWM with max PV of 1250Watts and the 2424LV-MSD which is a MPPT with 2000Watt max PV.

and you have???

Then there is the LV2424 (which is green) with 2000 watt max PV input.

Your question seems to indicate you have a LV2424 but you seem to identify it as a 2424LV, please clarify.

Last edited:
There are two 2424LV models: the 2424LV-HS which is a PWM with max PV of 1250Watts and the 2424LV-MSD which is a MPPT with 2000Watt max PV.

and you have???

Then there is the LV2424 (which is green) with 2000 watt max PV input.

Your question seems to indicate you have a LV2424 but you seem to identify it as a 2424LV, please clarify.

Correction: It is the Green Hybrid pip-2424lv...will correct example. Question still remains the same.

I have a question about this inverter. With the "grid-tie (feedback to utility grid)" turned off will the inverter still work as a local grid (house grid) assist. ie. will it still feed power(or better said supplement power) to the load even with utility power present? Or is it only an off-grid inverter when not using the grid-tie feature.
Hope that is correct way to ask that question.
Thank you

PS An example of what i mean: If I have the inverter priority in Solar->Battery->Utility order and the grid-tie feature off and I have a 5000w load. Would if produce 2400w from solar/battery (assuming solar array would supply enough for the inverter to max) would it continue to supply 2400w to the load and the 2600w remaining needed from utility power to produce the 5000w needed for the load. Or would the inverter fault (or shutdown) because it could supply the 5000w from the inverter output?
Correction 2000w from inverter and 3000w from utility in the above example (as the inverter only outputs 2000w.

I am sorry but I do not completely understand your question; maybe it will come to me.
I think the answer is NO, it will not produce the 5000 watts needed for the load; and YES the inverter would give warning code 07 "overload" and the LCD would display OVERLOAD on the right with the RED fault LED flashing.

The rated output power of the LV2424 is 2400 watts. A 40 amp maximum (separate) breaker on the AC input is recommended along with 10 AWG wiring.

I believe my difficulty in understanding your question is because you state " the grid-tie feature off " and then seem to expect 2600 watts from utility power. I think I'm missing something.

You can connect grid/utility power to this "box" or it can operate completely off-grid.

If you connect Utility Power, you can choose from these options as to what you would like to happen when:
A) The Inverter is overloaded - it will automatically switch the load over to grid/utility power
B) Pass though Utility power to the load, and keep the battery charged - if the Grid fails, the output will switch to the inverter, and power will be used from your batteries.
C) or.. If running on Solar and Battery, and the load is more than the battery and solar, it can supplement power from Grid/Utility (It does this via it internal Utility battery charger)
D) or of the battery is running low, switch the load over to utility/grid and charge the battery at the same time (if solar is present, this will also charge the battery at the same time).

Now if you wish to enable the grid/utility feedback option (Program number 09 in the manual and will operate within the parameters (120VAC @ 60Hz) set in settings 03 and 04), this function only operates when:
Battery is fully charged AND Solar Input is still generating power).
The excess Solar energy (Solar minus Load) will ONLY be fed into the grid if there is an incoming voltage from the Grid, in other words, if the grid/utility fails or drops below/above the regulation voltage (<65VAC or >140VAC), then ZERO power will be fed back into grid.

I hope this helps a bit; but then again maybe your question is something else, sorry.

look at at it like this. once you hook this thing up, there are two places to plug in your shit.

Plug your shit into the house wiring and plug the inverter into the house wiring too, using the grid-tie connection - everything youre running will be powered by your utility through the meter, MINUS what ever kind of wattage your solar is producing at the time.

or

you plug all of your shit into the inverter, and plug your inverter into the house- The max you can get out of it is 2500 watts. anything you cant generate through the sun being up or with your batteries will be supplemented by utility power to keep you running smooth. once the sun goes down, all of the power you are using comes from the utility and then through the inverter to power your shit.

hope that helps.

look at at it like this. once you hook this thing up, there are two places to plug in your shit.

Plug your shit into the house wiring and plug the inverter into the house wiring too, using the grid-tie connection - everything youre running will be powered by your utility through the meter, MINUS what ever kind of wattage your solar is producing at the time.

or

you plug all of your shit into the inverter, and plug your inverter into the house- The max you can get out of it is 2500 watts. anything you cant generate through the sun being up or with your batteries will be supplemented by utility power to keep you running smooth. once the sun goes down, all of the power you are using comes from the utility and then through the inverter to power your shit.

hope that helps.
... with proper configuration, it works that way. with my 3 LV2424 configured for 240vac split phase in usa, I note: # 6 "Overload bypass" must be enabled, plus worth studying and testing configs #1 & #10 & maybe #5 too; as I found test and see helping me know more as opposed to just reading the manual ... I have printed the manual on larger 8.5" 11" and highlighted stuff i want to test and learn more about ... and that has helped me understand more about all the many options for configurations :+)

Back