diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid Solar Inverter options with 12V batteries and max wattage on boat

wsteelenyc

I found this forum after watching many of Will's youtube videos. Awesome videos! I recently upgraded the solar panels on my boat from 4x100w to 3 strings of 4x100w panels (1200w total) with my existing 30amp EPEVER MPPT and 1000w Sungrid grid tie inverter with a limiter for when I'm on shorepower so I an offset my use from the grid. I currently have 3x100ah AGMS which is part of my house and starter bank for my tow engines. Now my charge controller and 120v inverter are undersized for the new panels. Instead of replacing both I'm considering purchasing a hybrid inverter that works on 12V batteries.

One thing that I have noticed however is that all of the 12V hybrid solar inverter/chargers seem to be limited to 1000w and are also limited to 30-50amps of charging. Because of this I am considering switching to a 24 bank by putting two of my AGM's in series and leaving the other AGM for starting and powering my 12V only devices such as lights, co detectors, radios, navigation, etc. Some of my devices like my two DC fridges and stereo will work on 24V leaving my 12V to mostly power the low power draw devices.

So finally to my questions... First, are there any 12V MPPT hybrid solar inverters greater than 1000w? This would make upgrading simpler. My second questions is about these hybrid inverters such as the MPP solar and Growatt hybrid inverters. Do they essentially accomplish what my grid tie with a limiter does, meaning that they only pull from the gird what the solar doesn't satisfy for the required load? If so, that would allow my to simplify my system by removing the grid tie inverter with limiter from my configuration. Any additional thought or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Back