diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid Water Heater

Anyway, pricing aside, I may just bite down and spend the dough. I'm sure I can get beyond the noise issue, if there even is one. I just want to see the savings. And I'm switching away from natural gas spending around $50+/month estimate to heat water, with solar that's currently feeding more into the grid than I consume.

Interesting to note that NYLE will again enter the consumer market with the e8 external HPWH that you connect to any standard tank. We are scheduled to get #4 off the assembly line sometime in November for evaluation.

So just for fun I pretended I was shopping at a Eugene HD store ... price $1699.

Switched to a Corvallis store, same water heater $1149. Amazing.
I looked it up at the Carlisle PA store near me and it was $1699. Switched to a store in York PA, (about 30 miles away) and it's $1149!
By the way, was shipping to my home on both.

I like the one at Lowes hybrid and I get a Military Discount also.

A.O. Smith Signature 900 50-Gallon Tall 10-year Limited Warranty 4500-Watt Double Element Electric Water Heater with Hybrid Heat Pump

But with the Enphase Solar I have no need to spend money to save power for a water heater. Unless I wanted to cool my garage. But would this really cool a three car garage? Probably not. I would be better off to buy a split unit AC for that. LOL

This one gets some mixed reviews. They love them until the compressor goes out. Good Luck

Last edited:
Interesting to note that NYLE will again enter the consumer market with the e8 external HPWH that you connect to any standard tank. We are scheduled to get #4 off the assembly line sometime in November for evaluation.
That is an interesting approach. I could keep my existing tank since it is in good shape (I change the anode every 3-5 years) and use their unit to heat the water. I think I have plenty of room next to my existing tank to install an E8. Something to consider, maybe I'm a candidate to do an eval install. How do you get on that list?

DO NOT BUY AO SMITH!!

I have 2 of these. They're both AO Smith 50 gallon hybrid water heaters. The idea behind them is great, they really don't use much power, like 500 watts ish when running off the heat pump. My problem is AO Smith.

One of my heaters at about 1 year old the heat pump stopped working randomly and would only heat with the electric coils like a normal water heater. I called AO Smith and they sent a tech out. The tech said the problem was my tank was in too small of a space and that's why it wasn't working then proceeded to tell me since there's nothing "wrong" with my heater that I get charged the $170 for the service call and AO Smith won't pay. So, needless to say AO Smith can go to F!@king hell. NEVER BUY AO SMITH. They will tell you you have to have a minimum of 10ft clearance on all sides of the water heater or your warranty is void. To top all this off, about 3 weeks after we got stiffed with the service call bill, the heat pump randomly started working again and has been working fine for the last 3 weeks ish since then. I guess it decided it had room to breath? lol BS!!! I'll say again, NEVER BUY AO SMITH!!

NEVER EVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUT AO SMITH.

I like the one at Lowes hybrid and I get a Military Discount also.

A.O. Smith Signature 900 50-Gallon Tall 10-year Limited Warranty 4500-Watt Double Element Electric Water Heater with Hybrid Heat Pump

But with the Enphase Solar I have no need to spend money to save power for a water heater. Unless I wanted to cool my garage. But would this really cool a three car garage? Probably not. I would be better off to buy a split unit AC for that. LOL

This one gets some mixed reviews. They love them until the compressor goes out. Good Luck

Do not buy AO Smith and no, it will not cool a 3 car garage. I have one in my 4 car garage and it won't make a dent in the temperature unless it's already cold and when it gets around 55-50 degrees you can't really use the heat pump anyways and have to switch to the electric heat coils.

Back