I am always fantasizing about having a energy efficient air conditioner for van life, anyone seen any concepts in tech news or anything?

Moltensurf

Solar Enthusiast
We are not talking about a window unit here.

If you were to install that server unit inside a van, where, would the air to cool the condenser come from? And where would the hot air go?
you would have to pull fresh air from outside, maybe from a hole in the floor. you could make a duct that would supply air to the intake, and exaust heat out the top

Moltensurf

Solar Enthusiast
Sounds like trouble than it's worth. One thing you're missing is the hot moist air from outside will condense on cooler surfaces.

I know, I've worked in HVAC with a background of automotive for 27 years now.
my idea would be to save the condensate water, filter it; and use it for drinking water.

curiouscarbon

Science Penguin
my idea would be to save the condensate water, filter it; and use it for drinking water.
if you are keen on saving water,

please consider feeding the condensate water to plants instead,

like another person mentioned, the condensate water can start out with some very unfriendly materials, specifically metals from the coils/fins, and biological critters who got to the water before you.

if you REALLY want to drink water from the air, please be very careful. i’m very keen on extracting potable water from the air for self reliance. so i really want you to succeed.

there are one or two threads on this forum with some more discussion about atmospheric water generation. one is like “WILL i’m SORRY but”. one is like “wilderness hike water collection”. but basically

the safest options use HEPA filter on the incoming moist air before condensing the water onto the coils. the safest options use food safe material to condense onto, and both filter the water and expose it to UV radiation in a stainless steel holding tank.

be safe out there! water is precious but many other living beings like it too and contamination can be really yucky and ouchy.

jwelter99

Solar Addict
I wouldn't advise that. Even with filtering the condensation coming off copper and aluminum can be full of chemicals you can't filter out.

Maybe can be used for toilet or shower; but would not consume this. Not potable.