diy solar

diy solar

I am really struggling. Neutral and hot both are energized.

You could put in the green ground screw to bond neutral/ground bar to box, move all ground wires to that bar, remove the extra ground bar.
Technically I think a wire between the bars should be sufficient to trip largest (or all?) breaker, but your will never see more than inverter can drive.

The deal is, we don't want to rely on current through steel box to protect branch circuits. Only good conductors. Bonding box protects for short to box.

Better to get things wired somehow so you keep your hands off. The moment you use two hands, it is more dangerous (ask me how I know!)

If no plumbing, no hazard. The risk is plumbing grounded by being in the dirt, and it is a different potential than the appliance you touch. Want all bonded together.

The green panel bonding screw is rated for the full possible fault current available from the panel.
(If you still have it) otherwise a wire will do.

The green panel bonding screw is rated for the full possible fault current available from the panel.
What’s weird is I had the ground screw in yesterday and was still getting all the weird electrical problems. I removed it and still was messed up. Only now I put the ground wire between G and N and it seemed to fix the issue.

One size screw fits all panels.
It is a lot smaller than the required ground wire for 100A or 200A circuit. But just a short jump between busbar and box.
It does have places to sink its heat, but if it was carrying hundred or so amps and not tripping breaker (e.g. fault from a resistive element contacting enclosure, or other really bad connections), I'd expect it to glow red.

I figure it can fast-trip a breaker, but I want copper from the fault back to where neutral is bonded. In equipment we design with ground interconnections between modules, sheet metal is not allowed to be part of the circuit daisy chained to other places.

If OP was going to use both the dedicated ground bar and the combined neutral/ground bar, I'd recommend a wire between them regardless of the screw. Avoid relying on rusted steel for safety ground of appliances.

It's rated and listed for the purpose.
There are of course other acceptable options. And some could be considered preferable.

I am nowhere near grid power. Unless I pay them to run the nearest electric 5 miles to my house through the wilderness. I don’t have over a million bucks in my bank account. ?
What part of the country is the grid this far away?

Found this very informative, thank you.
I am new to solar.20230728_163502.jpg

Attachments

• 20230729_104443.jpg
    20230729_104443.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 6
Back