diy solar

diy solar

I am really struggling. Neutral and hot both are energized.

The lightbulb did NOT light up between neutral and ground. Showed 57v. Lightbulb did light up between hot/neutral. 120v.
Try this:

If that indicates bonding neutral to ground is OK, do that and ground to earth and pipes.

The light bulb did NOT light up between neutral and ground, and there was 57V between neutral and ground while light bulb was connected?

What kind of light bulb?

Only bulb I have. In another post they said this would be good for pre-charging the inverter.

Attachments

• BC413FDB-33E5-45DE-87AD-5834BC531A17.jpeg
    BC413FDB-33E5-45DE-87AD-5834BC531A17.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 5
Incandescent, good.

Can you confirm that with light bulb between N and G, the light did not even glow dimly, and there was still 57V while the bulb was connected?

Incandescent, good.

Can you confirm that with light bulb between N and G, the light did not even glow dimly, and there was still 57V while the bulb was connected?
Just confirmed. 65v now and NO light whatsoever. ?

Confirm continuity on the bulb.

Get a light switch and run a wire between n and g. Close switch with fire extinguisher handy. You have a classic floating neutral.

Just confirmed. 65v now and NO light whatsoever. ?

I don't get it. 65V applied to bulb, not enough current to make it glow.
I expected either the resistance would pull voltage to zero, or the applied voltage would light up bulb somewhat.

If you have ammeter, you could measure current through bulb. If current is flowing, that confirms you can't bond neutral to ground.

Have to get to the bottom of this before bonding, don't want to risk damage.

I expected either the resistance would pull voltage to zero, or the applied voltage would light up bulb somewhat.

If you have ammeter, you could measure current through bulb. If current is flowing, that confirms you can't bond neutral to ground.

First pic: lightbulb between Neutral and ground

Second pic: voltmeter between N and G

3rd pic: lightbulb between L and N

Attachments

• 581BB98B-FAD1-4977-855F-7ACF9AF80680.png
    581BB98B-FAD1-4977-855F-7ACF9AF80680.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 28
  • A27EA574-0025-4769-AA2C-CD259E25A9C9.png
    A27EA574-0025-4769-AA2C-CD259E25A9C9.png
    8 MB · Views: 27
  • 680B9B32-B9A4-4B97-8E5F-7D139D9C8A77.png
    680B9B32-B9A4-4B97-8E5F-7D139D9C8A77.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 28
First pic: lightbulb between Neutral and ground

Second pic: voltmeter between N and G

3rd pic: lightbulb between L and N

4th pic, lightbulb AND voltmeter between N and G?

Although, Tim has just posted that this model inverter is fine with N/G bonding. But first you might as well confirm with lightbulb AND voltmeter, to learn and post picture for new members.

Tim, so I should just run a wire between the ground bar and the neutral bar( in the panel) like the prior gentleman suggested?

Which takes care of bonding neutral and ground.

You should also run a wire to a ground rod, and bond it to any other metal things like pipes or foundation steel running through building.
Also run a ground wire to PV panel frames from inverter.

I do recommend using GFCI breakers, outlets, or portable where appropriate. Refrigerator circuit is one where you might not, but anything else you could come in contact with.

4th pic, lightbulb AND voltmeter between N and G?

Although, Tim has just posted that this model inverter is fine with N/G bonding. But first you might as well confirm with lightbulb AND voltmeter, to learn and post picture for new members.
I’ll try. I only have 2 hands. Haha

Which takes care of bonding neutral and ground.

You should also run a wire to a ground rod, and bond it to any other metal things like pipes or foundation steel running through building.
Also run a ground wire to PV panel frames from inverter.

I do recommend using GFCI breakers, outlets, or portable where appropriate. Refrigerator circuit is one where you might not, but anything else you could come in contact with.
I do have a #6 grounding wire attached to a ground rod. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything else metal to attach to. No plumbing, etc. Thank you again. I’ll let you know how this goes. Also, you said a #10 wire between N and G bars?

Back