diy solar

diy solar

I am removing the Li-ion 48V Bigbattery.com pack from my recommendation list

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member
I'm removing the "48V li-ion unit from Bigbattery.com" from my main website after seeing the circuit breaker wiring. I am very disappointed considering how nice the LiFePO4 version is.

If someone wants a used, plug-n-play option, I'll tell them to use 2x LiFePO4 packs in series. (they will be back in stock soon)

I know some people had great luck with the li-ion pack with their systems, but I can't recommend such poor craftsmanship. Big battery.com promises to fix this problem, but the kWh cost is still pretty high. Not worth the weight and volumetric density savings.

I was expecting the same if not better craftsmanship quality as the LiFePO4 version. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Bigbattery.com is aiming to fix this problem ASAP but this shouldn't have occurred in the first place.

Screenshot (118).pngScreenshot (103).pngScreenshot (54).png

Hi,
The 24 volt system will be available soon? Can I charge this unit DC to DC? Is there a 24 volt charger for shore power?

Yes the LiFePO4 24V model will be in stock soon. That one is awesome. And sure, you can charge with a dc to dc converter. And any 24V LiFePO4 charger will do. Progressive dynamics sells one.

Thanks. So the DC to DC charger is ok? Because it will be DC 12v to DC 24v and that will work?

Drives me crazy that they could do a good job with the first lifepo4 model:
<snip>
And then screw it up by wiring it like the li-ion model.

If its the same folks doing both units it might be just the luck of draw.
I understand though that you have to call it like you see it.

I'm removing the "48V li-ion unit from Bigbattery.com" from my main website after seeing the circuit breaker wiring. I am very disappointed considering how nice the LiFePO4 version is.

If someone wants a used, plug-n-play option, I'll tell them to use 2x LiFePO4 packs in series. (they will be back in stock soon)

I know some people had great luck with the li-ion pack with their systems, but I can't recommend such poor craftsmanship. Big battery.com promises to fix this problem, but the kWh cost is still pretty high. Not worth the weight and volumetric density savings.

I was expecting the same if not better craftsmanship quality as the LiFePO4 version. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Bigbattery.com is aiming to fix this problem ASAP but this shouldn't have occurred in the first place.

View attachment 16678View attachment 16679View attachment 16680
Will I’m interested in the batteries for my nonprofit foodbank. I’d like to set up a portable chest cooler for when we do mobile foodbanks and drive thru foodbank distribution maybe you could reach out to me to learn more details.

View attachment 16678View attachment 16679View attachment 16680
I'm wondering about the breaker in general. Can you tell if it is polarized too me it looks like it could be

Just goes to show that when you are dealing with extremely high power and offshore manufacturing, it pays to open things up to make sure they are built correctly.... I once opened up a cheap TIG welder only to find that the way the PCBs were mounted meant they were all physical warped/curved.... It was an easy fix, but imagine running hundred of amps through a PCB under stress....

Just tiny length of heat shrink would have done the job, can't believe they (BB) neglected that. Someone should be blushing today....

I think the arrangement on the other battery - 90 degree bus bars - would be better. In this arrangement, there is a lot of strain pulling on the cable due to small diameter curve... But, yeah, it's an easy fix regardless.

I got a Big Battery 48V 3.8kwh Li-ion powerwall.
Mine does not look like the one in the video. I got mine 6/9/20 and it has #6 wire nice an neat out of the breaker.
The soldering on the BMS looks a little cool but they seem solid. I haven't hooked it up to the 3000W 48V Growatt yet or done any testing yet. It had 53V on the led right out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 100
I got a Big Battery 48V 3.8kwh Li-ion powerwall.
Mine does not look like the one in the video. I got mine 6/9/20 and it has #6 wire nice an neat out of the breaker.
The soldering on the BMS looks a little cool but they seem solid. I haven't hooked it up to the 3000W 48V Growatt yet or done any testing yet. It had 53V on the led right out of the box.

Yours look nicely build!
Congrats on the purchase and I hope if last many many years.

Do the Big Battery 48V powerwalls have a low temperature cut off in their BMS?

This mess arrived today:

First battery
Positive disconnected from switch.
Display wires e-taped together.
IMG_0556.jpg

Second battery
BMS wires are a mess of e-tape.
IMG_0561.jpg

Third battery
Display wires are e-taped together, and they couldn't even bother to cut them to length first.
That's a pile of wire cuttings in the top left corner. Who knows what is floating around inside this battery, waiting to short out some day.
IMG_0562.jpg

I've complained back to BigBattery. We'll see what they say. Even if they refund the batteries, I'm probably out $300 in shipping. And I'm guessing if I opt to fix the problems myself, I void the warranty.

This mess arrived today:

First battery
Positive disconnected from switch.
View attachment 17156

Second battery
BMS wires are a mess of e-tape.
View attachment 17158

Third battery
Display wires are e-taped together, and they couldn't even bother to cut them to length first.
That's a pile of wire cuttings in the top left corner. Who knows what is floating around inside this battery, waiting to short out some day.
View attachment 17159

I've complained back to BigBattery. We'll see what they say. Even if they refund the batteries, I'm probably out $300 in shipping. And I'm guessing if I opt to fix the problems myself, I void the warranty.
Wow! That does not look good. I popped the front cover off mine. I think it looks ok.
I didn't see any warranty for this battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 58
I would love to swap out my deep cycle battery bank and move it out to the green house on our property and put this to use in the shop. Would need to repair the wiring and check thoughly the soldering but love the challenge.

Back