diy solar

diy solar

I am up and running. How do I best prevent shock when adjusting panel positions?

AWD

Can I just shut off the panel breakers going to charge controller and inverter? This is easiest but don’t know if it prevents a shock,

Or must I cover each panel with a blanket?

What do you mean "adjusting panel positions"?

Are you simply moving the panels and not touching the wiring? If so, the panels are safe to touch but not the wires.

When doing anything with the panel wiring, do it at night or with a blanket over the panels. Many panels produce lethal volts/amps when in the sun.

Reactions: AWD
The wires will be live from the panels to the breaker you turn off.

Should be dead from there onwards.

As I recall, MC4 connectors aren't supposed to be disconnected when under load. If you turn off the breaker, there shouldn't be any current running through and you're safe to disconnect the MC4 connectors.

From Wikipedia (not always an authoritative source!)
Interruption requires a special DC circuit breaker which allows opening the circuit without arc damage.

The exterior frame should not be energized. Just move the panels. Is there something special here?

I’ve moved a set of portable solar panels for my RV three times a day for several trips with no issues. I have four 100 watt panels I do this for.

I do not flip the circuit breaker. Those things onlyhave a limited number of uses, and if I did that three times a day for five years, that’s about 6000 activations. My circuit breakers are designed for constant load interruptions, so even though they say that you can use them, I’m not sure the label means hundreds or thousands of activations.

I also do not cover them . I just pick them up and move them. The panels are also not grounded.

Thanks everyone. By adjusting I just mean the panel positions.

Some background- Each of the panels are 305 watts. They are wired in 3 series of 2 panels. Each series has a proper 15a breaker. Panels are grounded. They use MC4 connectors. It’s a 48v system. Obviously the wires are well sheathed/shielded so I wouldn’t think touching them would shock me? However I know wires sometimes get accidentally exposed so I won’t ever test touching them under a load which could be potentially lethal.

So from this, I have gathered that I can leave breakers on, but batteries and controller/inverter should always be shut off before adjusting panels. I won’t cover them but will only touch panel frames, not wires.

So from this, I have gathered that I can leave breakers on, but batteries and controller/inverter should always be shut off before adjusting panels. I won’t cover them but will only touch panel frames, not wires.
Mostly curious. Are these adjustments daily, or are they seasonal?

I gave up on tilting my RV roof panels each time I go out in part because the hour it takes to set them up and the hour it takes to tear them down.

We also have wires at work for portable systems that have been out for decades, and some have not held up so well to the sun. I wonder how a PV rated cable will hold up over time. I've wrapped most of my PV rated cable in split loom, despite the cable being UV rated.

Even with the charge controller pushing power to the batteries, it is no problem to touch, hold, lift, or turn the panels by the frames to aim them at the sun. It is no different than pushing around a plugging in and running vacuum cleaner. But it is a good idea to look over the wires from time to time and make sure noting is scraped or frayed before touching. Your 3 series wiring of 305 watt panels is running at about 120 volts with 2 groups in parallel bringing the power to about 1800 watts. Ok maybe a large power saw. And the thing with solar panels, if you do turn off the load, the voltage actually goes up and would increase the shock hazard if there was an exposed wire.

Mostly curious. Are these adjustments daily, or are they seasonal?

I gave up on tilting my RV roof panels each time I go out in part because the hour it takes to set them up and the hour it takes to tear them down.

We also have wires at work for portable systems that have been out for decades, and some have not held up so well to the sun. I wonder how a PV rated cable will hold up over time. I've wrapped most of my PV rated cable in split loom, despite the cable being UV rated.
Just taking about adjusting to more direct sun once in a while. System is new so I am testing. Its ground mounted. might just find best placement and rarely if ever touch them.

Even with the charge controller pushing power to the batteries, it is no problem to touch, hold, lift, or turn the panels by the frames to aim them at the sun. It is no different than pushing around a plugging in and running vacuum cleaner. But it is a good idea to look over the wires from time to time and make sure noting is scraped or frayed before touching. Your 3 series wiring of 305 watt panels is running at about 120 volts with 2 groups in parallel bringing the power to about 1800 watts. Ok maybe a large power saw. And the thing with solar panels, if you do turn off the load, the voltage actually goes up and would increase the shock hazard if there was an exposed wire.
Wow I am very surprised that shock would increase with batteries and controller off! Are you sure about that? My other question if you or anyone knows is, what is considered a good pv input voltage to see on my real time controller display in direct sunlight? I have above average efficient panels, they are older Sunpowers. Right now it’s fluctuating around 70v and it’s overcast.

what is considered a good pv input voltage to see on my real time controller display in direct sunlight?
Great video from the SolarQueen:

I wash my solar panels in full sun without turning ANYTHING off. My hair may stand up straight, but that's due to the haircut, not a close encounter with current.

I find it is best practice to UNDERSTAND and RESPECT voltage potential.
Being afraid of wiring is understandable, I mean, some solar systems put out over 200V!
Keep in mind, solar has no off switch.
but if nothing is drawing current, there won’t be an arc if wiring is disconnected, and mc4 connectors shield the conductors from contact.
don’t handle if you are dripping with sweat... or if it is raining... voltage will travel on wet surfaces.
If your wiring is frayed... shut everything down, and disconnect and replace the damaged wiring. Inspect things to prevent injury.

If the wiring is inspected and intact, moving the panels is not a shock hazard. If damaged wiring is in contact with a panel, it ALL could be at lethal voltage potential.
inspect before making contact.
And NEVER use a voltage wand/light/buzzer to check for voltage with DC voltage...

Wow I am very surprised that shock would increase with batteries and controller off! Are you sure about that? My other question if you or anyone knows is, what is considered a good pv input voltage to see on my real time controller display in direct sunlight? I have above average efficient panels, they are older Sunpowers. Right now it’s fluctuating around 70v and it’s overcast.
Voltage will depend on the ratings on the panels and the configuration of the wiring.

Truth be told, it is not a big difference, but under load, the panels will be at Vmp (voltage at maximum power) which on my 300 watt panels is 32.8 volts each. When you turn off the load, the panels will go up to the Voc (voltage open circuit) which is 39.85 volts. If I ran 3 of these in series, the voltage is then 119.55 volts open, but it drops to 98.4 volts with the load on. Still a voltage you need to be careful about, but it is less. And if you had disconnected a lead, you have a much more likely contact point compared to a system that is all connected. An open disconnect switch should be well protected, but disconnecting an MC4 connector is not a good idea. The terminals are recessed inside plastic, but still not a good idea when the sun is on the panels.

Wearing gloves is not a bad idea. Even if there is no voltage on the frames, there could be a sharp edge.

And Supervstech makes a very good point. Those voltage detector wands they sell at home improvement stores only work on AC power. If you use that and get no beep, it does not mean a thing. AC current is easily picked up through an air gap, but DC current is not.

Just taking about adjusting to more direct sun once in a while. System is new so I am testing. Its ground mounted. might just find best placement and rarely if ever touch them.

I believe the easiest solution is to place at an angle equal to your latitude and worry about other stuff in your life.

For example if you live at 45 deg latitude place them at a 45 deg angle.

Back