diy solar

diy solar

I can't even express the right words....

i ran a bulletin board for the commodore we were linked to europe and all that there the phone line. one person on the board at a time . you waited your turn. to log in . exciting times commodore ruled ..
sx64.jpg

I had one of those, just finally tossed it in the electronics recycling bin a few years ago.

i ran a bulletin board for the commodore we were linked to europe and all that there the phone line. one person on the board at a time . you waited your turn. to log in . exciting times commodore ruled ..
sx64.jpg

I had one of those, just finally tossed it in the electronics recycling bin a few years ago.

I had the TRS model 3. Learned to program in Basic. Basic was too slow for graphics, so had to use Assembly Lannguage with hexadecimal to get the full speed.

7C4B2863-4291-49FA-9594-A93E97B5AC5B.jpeg
Does anyone use any slow equipment still? We have an antiquated piece we keep around for data communications. 1200 baud. Never gets used.

220px-ZX80.jpg

My first computer, 1K of RAM, used an audio cassette player/recorder to store/retrieve programs. Expansion bus on the back made it easy to wire up some static memory chips and expand the RAM.

Was it the "hard card" that installed in an XT bus slot? My buddy got the hard card. The storage was amazing, but it performed little better than the floppy speed wise. A year later, I learned about interleaving on my first Seagate drive. Turned out that turd needed to be interleaved at 4:1 instead of 2:1. Performance improved dramatically.
I never bought the hard drive, I was stationed in Germany at the time and didn't want to spend the money. Remember the "Computer Shopper" monthly magazine, which weighed about 6 pounds! I used to read that thing from front to back, even though 80% of it was ads.s-l1600.jpg

About 4 years to download. 4GB movie at 300baud

But yeah I remember those days, use to sell people 1GB 5.25" disk drives for $1000 for their BBS

110 baud teletype in my garage back in the 1980's
My first remote connection method was 110baud acoustic coupler. I brought a Decwriter home from work so I could dial in to fix system problems rather than make the 2 hr round trip on weekends or nights. I stilled charged 4hrs work time though :)

My first remote connection method was 110baud acoustic coupler. I brought a Decwriter home from work so I could dial in to fix system problems rather than make the 2 hr round trip on weekends or nights. I stilled charged 4hrs work time though :)
You were probably, quite literally, one of the first "telecommuters" in history.

About 4 years to download. 4GB movie at 300baud

But yeah I remember those days, use to sell people 1GB 5.25" disk drives for $1000 for their BBS

110 baud teletype in my garage back in the 1980's

You sure about that? 1GB in the 80's would be a drum disk about the size of a washing machine.
Perhaps you meant 1MB.

I never bought the hard drive, I was stationed in Germany at the time and didn't want to spend the money. Remember the "Computer Shopper" monthly magazine, which weighed about 6 pounds! I used to read that thing from front to back, even though 80% of it was ads.

The ads were the best parts of Computer Shopper!

You sure about that? 1GB in the 80's would be a drum disk about the size of a washing machine.
Perhaps you meant 1MB.
not saying I sold the disk drives at the same time as I had the teletype, probably early 90's for those drives.

I did Basic, Fortran and Pascal while I was in high school. Pascal was at the community college. In college I was the first student to turn in accounting homework that was done on a spreadsheet. Lotus 1-2-3! Microsoft = Borg. You will be assimilated.

Programming class in high school was my first exposure to the idea that some people simply didn't have a logical mind. My best friend was one of those, no matter how much I tried to help him.

Had to boot a PDP8 with the front panel toggles......................
I lived and breathed PDP-8 the last couple years of college. I could toggle in the RIM loader in 10 to 15 seconds from memory. When the odo on the car was at 17777 I expected it to roll to 20000. Later switching from octal to hex was pretty darn difficult. I sometimes still think that 5+5=12.

I did Basic, Fortran and Pascal while I was in high school. Pascal was at the community college. In college I was the first student to turn in accounting homework that was done on a spreadsheet. Lotus 1-2-3! Microsoft = Borg. You will be assimilated.

Programming class in high school was my first exposure to the idea that some people simply didn't have a logical mind. My best friend was one of those, no matter how much I tried to help him.
machine code, is a low-level language comprised of binary digits (ones and zeros.. and this is what i learned it was all eight bit.. processors

Attachments

• indexf.jpg
    indexf.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
machine code, is a low-level language comprised of binary digits (ones and zeros.. and this is what i learned it was all eight bit.. processors
I wonder how much coding is actually done in machine language now.

I also wonder about other things like a tri-state logic. Taught abotu that in the 80s and was told with more states besides just on and off computing could go quicker.

I wonder how much coding is actually done in machine language now.
You probably mean assembly language. Very few people ever actually coded in machine language. Assembly is compiled into machine language. Machine language is what the computer actually understands and runs.

I dabbled with 6502 assembly language in the early 80s on my Atari but haven't written any since. All higher level languages since.

I'm sure a little assembly is still written. The Linux kernel probably still has some. Folks at AMD probably have some for their GPUs, etc. But modern compilers are so efficient that some good C code can be compiled into machine code as efficient as any assembly could.

Another thing I did on the TRS-80 was gaming.

THere’s got to be others that spent a bit of time with Zork on her?

Someone has got to remember this:

FCF691E2-BAE0-45D0-9329-E8CE96790FAF.jpeg

Zork! What a memory jog. I had Zork I, II, and III on my Atari. I could never get anywhere with those text adventure games. I could code just about anything but I've always sucked at playing games.

Did you ever play Wumpus? It was a BASIC game you could type in from a book. I really miss those early days.

Back