diy solar

diy solar

I can't seem to charge my 2015 Nissan Leaf!

Tyler702

Desert dweller, quiet prepper
Not necessarily a solar issue, but I hope someone can help. Bought a used 2015 Nissan Leaf 2 days ago (Carvana with 7 days to try it out) The included L1 120V charging cable I plug it into my Giandel 2000/4000W PSW inverter, and I get a flashing green light on the cable brick. It will not charge. I plug it into my home outlet, and it begins the charging process as expected. I've gone back and forth...plugging it into all my home garage outlets, and all the outlets on my 2 identical inverters and It's pretty conclusive, it will NOT charge the car from my inverters. Now I'm stumped! What am I missing?

It is! Thank you. It helps me dial things in. My L1 charger does NOT like my inverters but is ok with shore power. I suspect there is some kind of grounding thing going on w the inverters. Not necessarily a failure, but rather that is how they are designed? And my leaf has some kinda safety feature built in to prevent damage or injury? I do not know at this point, just guessing. I do know this. At L1 shore charging, the car only pulls about 11 amps, so I know my inverters are more than capable of that.

BTW, what did you pay for the 2015 Nissan Leaf? Just curious what they're going for now.

Not all EVSE chargers require a ground. But I do know for certain that the one Nissan provides for the Leaf does. And I also know that the one Ford provides for the Fusion Energi does not. I have both.

BTW, what did you pay for the 2015 Nissan Leaf? Just curious what they're going for now.

Not all EVSE chargers require a ground. But I do know for certain that the one Nissan provides for the Leaf does. And I also know that the one Ford provides for the Fusion Energi does not. I have both.
Bought from Carvana. 2015 SV Hatchback 4dr with 50,348 miles -$16,990 list price. I bought an add'l 1yr extended plan for $1800, so out the door taxes, registration etc. just a hair over $20,000. I'm still on my 7 day trial where i can send it back for full refund though, so I've really gotta put it thru its trials and evaluate everything I can think of. After that its mine. And yes, it came with the Nissan charger. Solid heavy duty cable about 20ft long. And I think I've solved my issue. As noted above, bonding ground and neutral. I'm only L1 charging right now.

I haven't looked into how to bond ground and neutral. If you don't mind, can you detail how you did it on your inverter?

I used the EVSE from my 2015 Leaf on my 2019 Leaf SV+ plugged into my RV trailer that has a Victron Multiplus 12/3000. It worked great for three hours as a test of the inverter, battery and PV (no shore power). The Leaf was happy to take the charge. Since it was 110v AC it didn't do much, but it worked.

My 2015 Leaf was a great car. It rode like a go-cart but the battery was in decent shape. It would get a bit over 110 miles of range on a good charge from a Level 2 station. Unfortunately, I got rear ended and the insurance company totaled it.

I haven't looked into how to bond ground and neutral. If you don't mind, can you detail how you did it on your inverter?
I took a dummy plug and put a wire between one hot leg and the ground leg. That is how I did it. I doubt it is code or anything but it did trick the charger into working fine. Do at your own risk.

I used the EVSE from my 2015 Leaf on my 2019 Leaf SV+ plugged into my RV trailer that has a Victron Multiplus 12/3000. It worked great for three hours as a test of the inverter, battery and PV (no shore power). The Leaf was happy to take the charge. Since it was 110v AC it didn't do much, but it worked.

My 2015 Leaf was a great car. It rode like a go-cart but the battery was in decent shape. It would get a bit over 110 miles of range on a good charge from a Level 2 station. Unfortunately, I got rear ended and the insurance company totaled it.
After a full L1 charge overnight, mine reports only 74 miles @ 100% fully charged. How did you get 110 miles?! Even the literature for the 2015 says only 85 miles after fully charged. I'm guessing these things loose capacity after being cycled for years and years? Anyone know much is expected per year or mileage?

After a full L1 charge overnight, mine reports only 74 miles @ 100% fully charged. How did you get 110 miles?! Even the literature for the 2015 says only 85 miles after fully charged. I'm guessing these things loose capacity after being cycled for years and years? Anyone know much is expected per year or mileage?

Maybe there are two versions of the battery pack and mine had the more powerful battery? I can't find anything that indicates there were two battery sizes for 2015. I always got more miles from the level 2 charger than the level 1 charge at home. Frequent charging, without being at a low state of charge, isn't good for the battery.

For 2019 there definitely are two different battery sizes. 270 miles on a level 2 charge with my 2019 SV+.

Maybe there are two versions of the battery pack and mine had the more powerful battery? I can't find anything that indicates there were two battery sizes for 2015. I always got more miles from the level 2 charger than the level 1 charge at home. Frequent charging, without being at a low state of charge, isn't good for the battery.

For 2019 there definitely are two different battery sizes. 270 miles on a level 2 charge with my 2019 SV+.
Hmm.. so a faster (L2) charge to get the batteries to 100% SOC gives more mileage? More capacity? VS a slower but much longer charge? Odd. And good practice to run the battery down quite a bit before charging, as opposed to topping off every day?
Anyway, if there is a different battery for that year, it certainly isn't on the menu.

Attachments

• leaf trims.jpg
    leaf trims.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 6
I consistently get more range from the level 2 charge. I don't have an explanation for that. I have heard that frequent use of the fast charger (Chademo) is hard on the batteries. I rarely use that. Twice so far in 15,000 miles on my 2019.

I consistently get more range from the level 2 charge. I don't have an explanation for that. I have heard that frequent use of the fast charger (Chademo) is hard on the batteries. I rarely use that. Twice so far in 15,000 miles on my 2019.
How do you come to this conclusion.
When using L1 EVSE it is less than 85% efficient
When using L2 EVSE it is 93-95% efficient depending on the EV inverter and where in the world you are using it.

How do you come to this conclusion.
When using L1 EVSE it is less than 85% efficient
When using L2 EVSE it is 93-95% efficient depending on the EV inverter and where in the world you are using it.

What conclusion are you referring to? I simply posted my experience with level 1 and 2 chargers.

What conclusion are you referring to? I simply posted my experience with level 1 and 2 chargers.
By looking KWh delivered from the outlet is going to always be more with L1 than L2 charging. So if you using this as reference how far your EV can go then that is misleading.

By looking KWh delivered from the outlet is going to always be more with L1 than L2 charging. So if you using this as reference how far your EV can go then that is misleading.

I don't think the numbers you posted have anything to do with range. They may simply be how efficient the chargers are. 110 versus 220?

The estimated range on my 2012 Leaf has always been wildly inaccurate. Costco is about 20 miles from my house. I started out with a full charge and 71 miles on the estimate. After getting there, the estimate showed only 27. If this was actually accurate, I wouldn't be able to make it home. By the time I got home, the estimate showed 29 miles. So I gained 2 miles. Crazy huh? The estimate got more and more accurate as I got closer to home.

Btw, the road conditions were mostly flat, half the trip was on the highway driving at 65MPH. It was a hot day and I had the AC on the entire trip.

But anyway, if you are a new Leaf owner, there is an 80% SOC limiter unless you turn it off. If you're not getting the estimated miles that you are expecting, double check to see if that 80% limiter is on or off. I forgot what it's called because I turned that off many years ago. This is something that Nissan said in the book that if you don't need 100% every time, it's better to charge to 80% to reduce battery degradation.

Back