diy solar

diy solar

I can't seem to charge my 2015 Nissan Leaf!

Cool, ill swing by there and have a look see. So, your 2012 DOES have chademo. My 2015 SV does not! Only J1772. I wonder if that means my onboard charger is the 3.3kw or the 6.6kw just without the optional chademo connector?
Looking at other posts online, SV and SL trims all have 6.6kW chargers, just not all have QC ports.

I think you can look up the VIN on your car and there are websites that will show you the new car sticker for your vehicle. With that, you can find what on board charger you really have as well.

Yes, my 2012 Leaf does have CHAdeMO. I’ve never used it though. None of the ones I’ve looked up were free. With the abundance of free L2 chargers all around town, I have never paid for charging in all the years I’ve owned my Leaf.

Attached is a photo I just took of my 2012 Leaf with both types of connectors.

Attachments

• 83C2C49B-8E9A-4708-8348-8580B1CD4EE7.jpeg
    83C2C49B-8E9A-4708-8348-8580B1CD4EE7.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 9
I used a small powerstrip to plug into the inverter for convenience, but basically, I used one of those male extension cord repair ends, jumpered the ground and neutral, plugged it into the strip, then plugged my charger into the strip, and all was good.
When you charge a nissan leaf with the supplied L1 block on 120 volt with eg a generator (eg honda EU2000i) I had the same problem.
I fixed it with an extra plug with 2 100KOhm 1/2 watt resistors:
2x100k_resistors_half_watt_in_plug.jpg
Much safer than creating the ground loop with all the possible dangers of copper melting currents.

Maybe there are two versions of the battery pack and mine had the more powerful battery? I can't find anything that indicates there were two battery sizes for 2015. I always got more miles from the level 2 charger than the level 1 charge at home. Frequent charging, without being at a low state of charge, isn't good for the battery.

For 2019 there definitely are two different battery sizes. 270 miles on a level 2 charge with my 2019 SV+.
There are two versions of the battery pack for the 2015 Nissan LEAF. A 24kV and 30kV. Took me forever to figure out why I was getting 104 miles initially whereas everything I read mentioned about 85 miles. I can't remember exactly where it does show the pack size but seems it was on one of those metal plates that have all the other info on it, maybe in the door.

After a full L1 charge overnight, mine reports only 74 miles @ 100% fully charged. How did you get 110 miles?! Even the literature for the 2015 says only 85 miles after fully charged. I'm guessing these things loose capacity after being cycled for years and years? Anyone know much is expected per year or mileage?
I’ve a 2016 30kwh leaf from new, with 240,000 km on it. Battery is down 3 bars but still gives over 100 miles on a full charge. Love the car. Absolutely trouble free

I reprogrammed my L1EVSE to 7kw as I got the bigger charger. That was a good idea.

The estimated range on my 2012 Leaf has always been wildly inaccurate. Costco is about 20 miles from my house. I started out with a full charge and 71 miles on the estimate. After getting there, the estimate showed only 27. If this was actually accurate, I wouldn't be able to make it home. By the time I got home, the estimate showed 29 miles. So I gained 2 miles. Crazy huh? The estimate got more and more accurate as I got closer to home.

Btw, the road conditions were mostly flat, half the trip was on the highway driving at 65MPH. It was a hot day and I had the AC on the entire trip.

But anyway, if you are a new Leaf owner, there is an 80% SOC limiter unless you turn it off. If you're not getting the estimated miles that you are expecting, double check to see if that 80% limiter is on or off. I forgot what it's called because I turned that off many years ago. This is something that Nissan said in the book that if you don't need 100% every time, it's better to charge to 80% to reduce battery degradation.
The later leafs 30kwj onwards doesn’t have the 80% limit anymore.

There are two versions of the battery pack for the 2015 Nissan LEAF. A 24kV and 30kV. Took me forever to figure out why I was getting 104 miles initially whereas everything I read mentioned about 85 miles. I can't remember exactly where it does show the pack size but seems it was on one of those metal plates that have all the other info on it, maybe in the door.
You mean 24 kWh and 30 kWh.

The estimated range on my 2012 Leaf has always been wildly inaccurate. Costco is about 20 miles from my house. I started out with a full charge and 71 miles on the estimate. After getting there, the estimate showed only 27. If this was actually accurate, I wouldn't be able to make it home. By the time I got home, the estimate showed 29 miles. So I gained 2 miles. Crazy huh? The estimate got more and more accurate as I got closer to home.

Btw, the road conditions were mostly flat, half the trip was on the highway driving at 65MPH. It was a hot day and I had the AC on the entire trip.

But anyway, if you are a new Leaf owner, there is an 80% SOC limiter unless you turn it off. If you're not getting the estimated miles that you are expecting, double check to see if that 80% limiter is on or off. I forgot what it's called because I turned that off many years ago. This is something that Nissan said in the book that if you don't need 100% every time, it's better to charge to 80% to reduce battery degradation.
The head of Nissan Ireland engineering said “ forget the 80% nonsense “ “ it’s gone from the 30kwh. Charge and drive the car as you need

We charged to 100% every night for 5 years.

Bought from Carvana. 2015 SV Hatchback 4dr with 50,348 miles -$16,990 list price. I bought an add'l 1yr extended plan for $1800, so out the door taxes, registration etc. just a hair over $20,000. I'm still on my 7 day trial where i can send it back for full refund though, so I've really gotta put it thru its trials and evaluate everything I can think of. After that its mine. And yes, it came with the Nissan charger. Solid heavy duty cable about 20ft long. And I think I've solved my issue. As noted above, bonding ground and neutral. I'm only L1 charging right now.
Hope you are enjoying your new LEAF. I have the same model with all the options and I paid $17,000 for it on Carvana over 4 years ago and paid it off. I can sell it for the exact $17K I paid for it now on Carvana. AWEsome car!!! Not any problems. Got a CyberTruck reserved, so just waiting on that, but fully enjoining my LEAF.(I can verify the charger that comes with the car from Nissan, does require a Ground.)

The head of Nissan Ireland engineering said “ forget the 80% nonsense “ “ it’s gone from the 30kwh. Charge and drive the car as you need

We charged to 100% every night for 5 years.
Yeah, I never went by that and always charged till 100% was reached. I have almost 50,000 miles on my 2015 Nissan LEAF and I have only lost 1 bar back around 38K or so. I keep it 100% all the time just in case in need the mileage.

Yeah, I never went by that and always charged till 100% was reached. I have almost 50,000 miles on my 2015 Nissan LEAF and I have only lost 1 bar back around 38K or so. I keep it 100% all the time just in case in need the mileage.
Yup 250,000km after 5 years 100% 6 days week

3rd bar went at 220000km. Still 160 km range ( I had the capacity software update done )

Back