diy solar

diy solar

I caved, just ordered a Batrium for my BMS

Firstascent

Solar Enthusiast
I’ve been deciding on what to use as my BMS but still had some unknowns. For various reasons, I decided to order the Batrium watchmon4 with 16 blockmon-M8’s and their 500A shunt.

obviously it’s more expensive than some of the other currently popular items such as Chargery and the battery hookup and that sucks but I’m good with my decision.

i have 16, 280ah LiFePO4 3.2v cells on the way but I’m still unsure whether I’m going to run a48v or 24v setup. This one Batrium will allow me to do either 16s or 2p8s config without needing any extra components, has 2 inputs and 2 outputs, and allows for good integration with Victron which I’m planning on using eventually. Another plus is individual cell monitoring and I believe each cell has a temp sensor as well, and easy expansion options. Although I have no plans to ever grow this battery bank on this specific project (5th wheel).

also, not gonna lie, I like the layout and GUI aesthetically, that’s important to me. Don’t judge me :) I enjoy a clean setup on custom projects.

I still have at least a month before my batteries arrive, and the Batrium isn’t in stock right now either for a week or two. So let the wait begin!

I’ve been deciding on what to use as my BMS but still had some unknowns. For various reasons, I decided to order the Batrium watchmon4 with 16 blockmon-M8’s and their 500A shunt.

obviously it’s more expensive than some of the other currently popular items such as Chargery and the battery hookup and that sucks but I’m good with my decision.

i have 16, 280ah LiFePO4 3.2v cells on the way but I’m still unsure whether I’m going to run a48v or 24v setup. This one Batrium will allow me to do either 16s or 2p8s config without needing any extra components, has 2 inputs and 2 outputs, and allows for good integration with Victron which I’m planning on using eventually.

Cool. Not a BMS I know much about, mind if I ask what the cost is?

Also I'm curious in what ways does the Batrium integrate well with Victron, I'm planning on using a few victron components.

also, not gonna lie, I like the layout and GUI aesthetically, that’s important to me. Don’t judge me :) I enjoy a clean setup on custom projects.

I'm with you there, rational or not (personally I think its both), a clean, aesthetically pleasing, intuitive GUI matters! ?

Cool. Not a BMS I know much about, mind if I ask what the cost is?

Also I'm curious in what ways does the Batrium integrate well with Victron, I'm planning on using a few victron components.

I'm with you there, rational or not (personally I think its both), a clean, aesthetically pleasing, intuitive GUI matters! ?

it wasn’t cheap. They are an Australian company so after conversion it was about $700! This included a 500A shunt and 16 cell monitors. It would be cheaper if you didn’t have 16 cells, you can just buy 8 or 4 or however many cells you have.
Regarding Victron, it has CAN bus terminals For connecting up to Victron (and others that use CAN). They even have a little tutorial on how to connect it up to the CCGX, although I’m not going with the CCGX. Using the CAN bus does not use either of the 2 inputs and 2 outputs as well.
Hoping I don’t need too much (or any) support from them, but they do offer PAID support in 30 min increments and can do screen share etc to help troubleshoot any issues.

it wasn’t cheap. They are an Australian company so after conversion it was about $700! This included a 500A shunt and 16 cell monitors. It would be cheaper if you didn’t have 16 cells, you can just buy 8 or 4 or however many cells you have.
Regarding Victron, it has CAN bus terminals For connecting up to Victron (and others that use CAN). They even have a little tutorial on how to connect it up to the CCGX, although I’m not going with the CCGX. Using the CAN bus does not use either of the 2 inputs and 2 outputs as well.
Hoping I don’t need too much (or any) support from them, but they do offer PAID support in 30 min increments and can do screen share etc to help troubleshoot any issues.
Their free support via email is good as well, as long as you don't stalk them every day (obvious)

Their free support via email is good as well, as long as you don't stalk them every day (obvious)
Good to know! I’m sure I’ll have some questions and hoping I won’t have to pay and the support I’ll need will be minimal.

theyve been great so far answering general questions.

@Firstascent Did your BMS ship yet? I noticed the past few days that they have been out of stock on a number of items... Not sure if it is due to Covid or they always run their stock lean and only have stuff in stock in small batches. I am looking into the same BMS, WM4, and will be interested in how your setup goes... ;-)

@Firstascent Did your BMS ship yet? I noticed the past few days that they have been out of stock on a number of items... Not sure if it is due to Covid or they always run their stock lean and only have stuff in stock in small batches. I am looking into the same BMS, WM4, and will be interested in how your setup goes... ;-)
the blockmons are out of supply due to covid19. Halfway june they should recieve the new batch. Mine are ordered...

the blockmons are out of supply due to covid19. Halfway june they should recieve the new batch. Mine are ordered...
Correct. I have not received mine yet. I placed my order on 5/7 and was expecting it to be available by beginning to mid-June. This is what Batrium told me too. They said it won’t be months, but weeks. I’ll definitely post up more info once it arrives too! Also, the Batrium should arrive before my LiFePO4’s though so I’ll have to wait for that too ?

Let us know how your build goes. I am looking at the batrium for my 280AH build as well. The user interface is very attractive.

Have you recieved your batteries yet? Did you use sea transport or? How long from payment to delivery?

Let us know how your build goes. I am looking at the batrium for my 280AH build as well. The user interface is very attractive.

Have you recieved your batteries yet? Did you use sea transport or? How long from payment to delivery?

Hey, sorry for the delay! It's been crazy lately.

Yes, I did receive my batteries and all the Batrium Watchmon4 components, as well as a Victron Cerbo GX I've been waiting on I'll eventually be integrating in as well. The batteries I think were 4-5 weeks, they actually arrived over a month ago, I went with sea shipping to save costs and I wasn't in a hurry (shipping to Oregon).

I was out of town for almost a month for some family stuff, then broke my collarbone a couple weeks ago mtn biking, and now finally getting back to this project haha.

Just today I fully unboxed everything and am just now getting started on it. Laid out the 16 batteries connected in parallel right now. Since this is my first setup and it's been a couple months since I really started diving into this I need to go back and to some research on the best way to start this up (ie let them balance in parallel, use the Batrium to bottom balance, etc) but the end result will be a 24v setup (8s2p)

Initial impressions are very good though. The batteries appear to me to be brand spankin' new Grade A. Similar and in spec resistance in each cell and absolutely no sign of use. Packaging was very good as well with lots of padding, 2 cells per box.

Batrium initial impressions are very good as well. It's a small little package and the 3d printing is just clean and excellent. I loaded the software just now, updated the firmware, and either tonight or tomorrow (depending on my research) I'll probably be connecting the cells to the Batrium for some type of balancing and initial testing.

So hopefully I'll have some better real world updates here shortly.

Any updates here? I am looking to pull the trigger on Batrium too.
Quality BMS is worth the $ in my opinion.
I have a Cerbo GX on order too.
Can they talk to each other?
Jimmy

The Batrium is a good BMS, i used their system for five years or so and other than a couple of minor issues it worked well.

For fluent connectivity with SMA i moved to the REC-BMS. (Since then Batrium have improved their CAN comms - it didn’t exist at all when i first got their system)

Make sure to double check the cell voltages when the BMS is bypassing, a couple of mine were off.

Hey, sorry for the delay! It's been crazy lately.

Yes, I did receive my batteries and all the Batrium Watchmon4 components, as well as a Victron Cerbo GX I've been waiting on I'll eventually be integrating in as well. The batteries I think were 4-5 weeks, they actually arrived over a month ago, I went with sea shipping to save costs and I wasn't in a hurry (shipping to Oregon).

I was out of town for almost a month for some family stuff, then broke my collarbone a couple weeks ago mtn biking, and now finally getting back to this project haha.

Just today I fully unboxed everything and am just now getting started on it. Laid out the 16 batteries connected in parallel right now. Since this is my first setup and it's been a couple months since I really started diving into this I need to go back and to some research on the best way to start this up (ie let them balance in parallel, use the Batrium to bottom balance, etc) but the end result will be a 24v setup (8s2p)

Initial impressions are very good though. The batteries appear to me to be brand spankin' new Grade A. Similar and in spec resistance in each cell and absolutely no sign of use. Packaging was very good as well with lots of padding, 2 cells per box.

Batrium initial impressions are very good as well. It's a small little package and the 3d printing is just clean and excellent. I loaded the software just now, updated the firmware, and either tonight or tomorrow (depending on my research) I'll probably be connecting the cells to the Batrium for some type of balancing and initial testing.

So hopefully I'll have some better real world updates here shortly.

@Firstascent Are you up and running with your Batrium? Wondering how it is working out for you and if you think you would go the same direction again. Thanks

@Firstascent I'm also interested in your setup. Did you order the Blockmons or the Longmons? Based on your battery (280Ah) I would expect that the Longmons are a better fit because they're M6. The Blockmons are M8.

Do you have a schematic or an image of your setup?

In my setup I have a 8s3p setup with EVE cells 280Ah, watched by the Batrium Watchmon4. The system is then connected through CAN-BMS to a Cerbo GX which forwards the signal to a Quattro and a Skylla-i . No solar at this moment.

@Firstascent I'm also interested in your setup. Did you order the Blockmons or the Longmons? Based on your battery (280Ah) I would expect that the Longmons are a better fit because they're M6. The Blockmons are M8.

Do you have a schematic or an image of your setup?

In my setup I have a 8s3p setup with EVE cells 280Ah, watched by the Batrium Watchmon4. The system is then connected through CAN-BMS to a Cerbo GX which forwards the signal to a Quattro and a Skylla-i . No solar at this moment.
M8 is not a problem

i have 16, 280ah LiFePO4 3.2v cells on the way but I’m still unsure whether I’m going to run a48v or 24v setup. This one Batrium will allow me to do either 16s or 2p8s config without needing any extra components, has 2 inputs and 2 outputs, and allows for good integration with Victron which I’m planning on using eventually. Another plus is individual cell monitoring and I believe each cell has a temp sensor as well, and easy expansion options. Although I have no plans to ever grow this battery bank on this specific project (5th wheel).

I still have at least a month before my batteries arrive, and the Batrium isn’t in stock right now either for a week or two. So let the wait begin!
Hello,

I'm looking at the same setup but I have 48 CALB 100AH cell and will be running them in a 16S 3P config have you set up your system yet thanks

Back