diy solar

diy solar

I did it!!! My upgrade works :) (2x5kw Quattros, 2-x150/70s, 3xLifePO4s, split phase)

AHTrimble

Solar Enthusiast
I got it done! Oh yeah...and it works :)

I started with version 3 of my off-grid system: 404ah LifePO Elite batteries, 1xVictron 150/70 MPPT, 1x Victron 48v/5kw/120v Quattro and kindof a mess that had been pieced together from versions 1 & 2)

I ended up with 634ah LifePO4 batteries (2xElites, 1xTrophy), 2xVictron 150/70 MPPTs, 2xVictron 48v/5kw/120 Quattros in split phase configuration. Much less of a mess and that should be cleaned up by the end of the week once I get the the wire ducts in.

In the build I used a Victron Lynx PowerIn as a busbar, added a Class-T fuse, then combined a Victron Lynx shut and another Victron Lynx PowerIn as a fused distributor. I even built 2 of my own busbars vs 4/0 cable connection. All of that made things much cleaned, much more organized and a lot more safe. Upgraded all my wiring and cabling. Added better circuit breakers, got rid of a weak fuse set-up, and balanced my 3 arrays between the 2 MPPTs.

The downside does exist:
  • While Victron equipment is Tier 1 gear, it can be complicated to work with. The MPPTs are Smart Networked which is nice, but they had to be programed individually via Bluetooth.
  • The Victron Quattro inverters are really great, very high quality, they were a pain to configure correctly. Eventually the process was: 1) upgrade the firmware on both units, 2) configure each inverter for its function, 3) then configure them together to work in split phase. Each step was a different computer program. That is a huge downside to otherwise great gear. Victron needs to get it together and have a single computer program that can do all the functions from that one program.
  • I am not 100% confident that the Lynx Shunt, inverters, and CCGX are working together correctly to give me an accurate SOC. I might have add back in my BMV 712 to accurately monitor the battery bank.
  • I am not sure how long it will take my batteries to balance with the addition of the 3rd battery. I am thinking at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month or two.
The upside:
  • I now have 240vAC vs 120vAC available to me.
  • I now have 10kw vs 5kw available to me.
  • I now have 57% more battery capacity available to me.
  • I now have more efficient PV charging for the system.
  • And it all works!!!!!!
Yeah, I know...I sound silly...but this has been 6 months in the planning stage and 8 days work in the shed...including 6 days running on generator. I am just thrilled!!

Once I get the wiring cleaned up I will post pictures.

Sounds amazing, would love to see pictures when you can. Did you use an Autotransformer when you only had one Quattro to step up from 120 to 120/240 split-phase?

Sounds amazing, would love to see pictures when you can. Did you use an Autotransformer when you only had one Quattro to step up from 120 to 120/240 split-phase?

With only the single Quattro running for two years we only had 120vAC. The new Quattro is L2 adding the 180degree offset for split phase 240vAC. And yes, I will put up pictures...and probably an updated schematic as well.

I got it done! Oh yeah...and it works :)

I started with version 3 of my off-grid system: 404ah LifePO Elite batteries, 1xVictron 150/70 MPPT, 1x Victron 48v/5kw/120v Quattro and kindof a mess that had been pieced together from versions 1 & 2)

I ended up with 634ah LifePO4 batteries (2xElites, 1xTrophy), 2xVictron 150/70 MPPTs, 2xVictron 48v/5kw/120 Quattros in split phase configuration. Much less of a mess and that should be cleaned up by the end of the week once I get the the wire ducts in.

In the build I used a Victron Lynx PowerIn as a busbar, added a Class-T fuse, then combined a Victron Lynx shut and another Victron Lynx PowerIn as a fused distributor. I even built 2 of my own busbars vs 4/0 cable connection. All of that made things much cleaned, much more organized and a lot more safe. Upgraded all my wiring and cabling. Added better circuit breakers, got rid of a weak fuse set-up, and balanced my 3 arrays between the 2 MPPTs.

The downside does exist:
  • While Victron equipment is Tier 1 gear, it can be complicated to work with. The MPPTs are Smart Networked which is nice, but they had to be programed individually via Bluetooth.
  • The Victron Quattro inverters are really great, very high quality, they were a pain to configure correctly. Eventually the process was: 1) upgrade the firmware on both units, 2) configure each inverter for its function, 3) then configure them together to work in split phase. Each step was a different computer program. That is a huge downside to otherwise great gear. Victron needs to get it together and have a single computer program that can do all the functions from that one program.
  • I am not 100% confident that the Lynx Shunt, inverters, and CCGX are working together correctly to give me an accurate SOC. I might have add back in my BMV 712 to accurately monitor the battery bank.
  • I am not sure how long it will take my batteries to balance with the addition of the 3rd battery. I am thinking at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month or two.
The upside:
  • I now have 240vAC vs 120vAC available to me.
  • I now have 10kw vs 5kw available to me.
  • I now have 57% more battery capacity available to me.
  • I now have more efficient PV charging for the system.
  • And it all works!!!!!!
Yeah, I know...I sound silly...but this has been 6 months in the planning stage and 8 days work in the shed...including 6 days running on generator. I am just thrilled!!

Once I get the wiring cleaned up I will post pictures.

Fantastic! Well done!

Can't wait to see some pictures.

Back