diy solar

diy solar

I don't want to buy a gas generator!

The easiest and most cost effective back up would be a diesel generator. Kubota makes a nice little 10kw model that sells for under $6k. I have one and it burns about a quart of diesel an hour at 50% load. Much more economical to run than propane or gas, are designed for continuous operation, and are rated for 20,000 hours of use. The only drawback is that you need to have a way to get the diesel fuel delivered, but a 55 gallon drum fuel tank will give you over a week of continuous operation.

diesel generators are great and I have one. The problem with them is when you don't keep them loaded they are prone to wet stack. So if you go diesel make sure you size in correctly to avoid situations like this. Sometimes bigger is not better, don't let diesl gens run long periods with little or no load. Diesel likes to work and they are very efficient and long lasting if used correctly and cared for.

the hydram I inspected was built in 1840 and was more of a hum, not quite a rattle. It kept a roof top tank full of water from a 2 foot fall in a small stream.

Back