diy solar

diy solar

I fear Magnum is done.

Jack Rabbit Off Grid

Solar Enthusiast
I’ve been on the phone all day long trying to find Answers as to why Magnum won’t return an email or phone call.

I now believe they are out of business. Ive spoke with several vendors with different stories but that last made it clear. This guy told me he has dealt with them for 20 years and believes they are out of business or in the process of going out of business. That he thinks they are not going to make it. He also told me that he was told by his vendor that they would be shipping new product in January 2023.

This is all speculation. I think what they are trying to do is move the Magnum energy production to ether China or Mexico. That was two more rumors I was told by vendors. But when the last guy said (I don’t think they are going to make it) leads me to believe it.

What was once a good American made brand that I wasted over $5k on. :(

I’ve been on the phone all day long trying to find Answers as to why Magnum won’t return an email or phone call.

I now believe they are out of business. Ive spoke with several vendors with different stories but that last made it clear. This guy told me he has dealt with them for 20 years and believes they are out of business or in the process of going out of business. That he thinks they are not going to make it. He also told me that he was told by his vendor that they would be shipping new product in January 2023.

This is all speculation. I think what they are trying to do is move the Magnum energy production to ether China or Mexico. That was two more rumors I was told by vendors. But when the last guy said (I don’t think they are going to make it) leads me to believe it.

Just saw an article about Mitsubishi and Magnum development starting some kind of 300GWH underground storage in Utah??

Maybe they are dropping inverter line in favor of more profitable products considering the Chinese primary and Grey Market.

Last edited:
There are a number of dinosaur solar people around the forums that have continued to recommend Magnum suggesting that it is superior to newer AIO products. I'm sure the brand will be bought up and repackaged to china manufactured equipment hoping to market on the name.

There are a number of dinosar solar people around the forums that have continued to recommend Magnum suggesting that it is superior to newer AIO products.
I would consider myself a dinosaur maybe (I have owned a midnite classic for most of a decade, owned Magnum inverters, etc).

The problem is that Magnum was legitimately Tier 1 in every way until they started having failures and not responding to equipment repair requests, and there are a lot of people who haven't heard yet about these support issues apparently (or have personal experience with their equipment running great).

And the random AIO's released by a new company, a new model that has been out for a few months that people buy because they saw it on a youtube video? They are definitely garbage when compared to Tier 1 equipment.

You have some pretty interesting timing for posting this thread. I emailed Magnum again on July 17, to again point out to them that they owe me a repair under warranty. Just because they didn't want to pick up their phone shouldn't get them out of supporting their product.

Yesterday, weeks later, they responded and sent me a link to www.magnum-dimensions.com/distributor-locator for authorized service centers. I've responded and explained that they owe me the repair under warranty.

Also "Please be aware that we are currently experiencing supply chain issues that are resulting in some boards not being available to our service centers, so depending on what needs to be repaired with your inverter, it may be a quick fix, it may require waiting for parts."

EDIT: WTF I just noticed one of the local solar techs is an "authorized distributor", surprising, I'm on a rural island... Let's see if he'll admit to being associated with them and see if he wants a repair job.

Last edited:
You have some pretty interesting timing for posting this thread. I emailed Magnum again on July 17, to again point out to them that they owe me a repair under warranty. Just because they didn't want to pick up their phone shouldn't get them out of supporting their product.

Yesterday, weeks later, they responded and sent me a link to www.magnum-dimensions.com/distributor-locator for authorized service centers. I've responded and explained that they owe me the repair under warranty.

Also "Please be aware that we are currently experiencing supply chain issues that are resulting in some boards not being available to our service centers, so depending on what needs to be repaired with your inverter, it may be a quick fix, it may require waiting for parts."

EDIT: WTF I just noticed one of the local solar techs is an "authorized distributor", surprising, I'm on a rural island... Let's see if he'll admit to being associated with them and see if he wants a repair job.
I have contacted the closest authorized repair technician for Magnum To me. I was told they will no longer deal with Magnum. They said it takes way to long to get paid for their services.

Based on all the negative comments I've heard over poor communication and service recently, I suspect you're correct. Something has certainly changed over the last year or so. Too bad, historically they had a good rep and seemed to make solid tier 1 products.

There are a number of dinosaur solar people around the forums that have continued to recommend Magnum suggesting that it is superior to newer AIO products. I'm sure the brand will be bought up and repackaged to china manufactured equipment hoping to market on the name.
What you call a dinosaur is really just a group of folks who have had these products and worked with them for decades.
When you have gear that works well for decades, you tend to stick with it.
I don't recall following any threads on here where people were recommending Magnum over a comparable Victron, etc.
When/if my current units fail, I'll probably go Victron. Not because I don't like Magnum, but because I really like what Victron has done with the line and features.

I don't try to call Magnum, I've just emailed when I needed something and it has taken them a few days to get back to me. I have no doubt they are struggling on that front.

What you call a dinosaur is really just a group of folks who have had these products and worked with them for decades.
When you have gear that works well for decades, you tend to stick with it.
I don't recall following any threads on here where people were recommending Magnum over a comparable Victron, etc.
When/if my current units fail, I'll probably go Victron. Not because I don't like Magnum, but because I really like what Victron has done with the line and features.

If UL 1741 is important, Victron isn't much of an option.

I don't try to call Magnum, I've just emailed when I needed something and it has taken them a few days to get back to me. I have no doubt they are struggling on that front.

My neighbor has about a dozen unanswered/unacknowledged emails starting at the end of last year.

My neighbor has about a dozen unanswered/unacknowledged emails starting at the end of last year.
I got one call into them in January. It was the tech line helping me troubleshoot the charger problem. Hindsight I should have dealt with the charger then Instead of kicking the can.

I got one call into them in January. It was the tech line helping me troubleshoot the charger problem. Hindsight I should have dealt with the charger then Instead of kicking the can.

Multiple calls and emails about a mysterious drop to 58.3Hz from 60Hz for several hours on some days unless he's pulling a heavy load on another inverter attached to the same bank running his well pump. On days he doesn't run his well pump, he loses 7-8 minutes on many of his clocks that are 60Hz dependent.

It's not just Magnum. SMA has been terrible lately. And SolarEdge just took a month to get me replacement 11.4 inverter. It's a scary time to be thinking about which equipment to purchase that's you stand a chance on getting supported if it fails.

Victron does have Multiplus 12v 3kva 120v and 24v 3kva 120v models that are certified to UL1741, CSA 22.2 and UL 458 for north America.

The hardware is different than the non-certified units, so it's important to make sure to spec that it needs UL when ordering.

https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...20-50-120V-&-MultiPlus-24-3000-70-50-120V.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-UL458-MultiPlus-12-24-3kVA-120V.pdf

1661518901522.png

Update. After weeks of calling Magnum dealers nationwide I found the part needed to repair my unit. $330.00 and I now own it. Now I just have to get the courage to take my inverter apart and install it. I was hoping to find a spare inverter but good luck.

Dude you almost gave me a heart attack. Be more specific next time!
Thank God they are still being made.
Magnum.jpg
:p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::whistle:

Last edited:
This will most likely happen to all of the vendors, the world is on fire and almost all the semiconductors are made in Asia. China is just licking their chops on Taiwan..it's just a matter of time.

No issues getting Tier 1 Samlex Evos and or repairs. Wide open and answering calls and emails same day.

Ive been running a low freq samlex evo for 5 years and not one issue. Built like a tank and not chinese garbage hi freq.

Back