diy solar

diy solar

I fear Magnum is done.

Yea rub it in.
Its a warning to others and a suggestion to you. Just move on! Buy once, cry once.

Before you buy anything, do this---> Go to google, type in XYZ-Product +Problems issues failure bad horrible etc
Also call tech support of that co and see how long it takes them to answer.

Call midnite solar and call samlex. Both will answer and help you. Both are in the americas.
Ask me what Im running with no issues.

Last edited:
Its a warning to others and a suggestion to you. Just move on! Buy once, cry once.

Before you buy anything, do this---> Go to google, type in XYZ-Product +Problems issues failure bad horrible etc
Also call tech support of that co and see how long it takes them to answer.

Call midnite solar and call samlex. Both will answer and help you. Both are in the americas.
Ask me what Im running with no issues.
What had happened was I owned a 4042pae at another property. It was 12 years old and still going and is stil going strong with now a third owner. I figured I had such good luck with it when I setup my new 48v system I would just stick with Magnum Since I knew how to work it. I didn’t know of all the problems they were having during the KungFlu. I just called up NAWS and ordered a 48v one on a mini Magnum panel prewired with charge controller shipped to my door.

Then found out of the problems with Magnum when I needed to warranty mine.

I just got another off eBay for a spare.

That sucks! My magnum is going on 15 years and I wanted a second one to replace it before it goes out. I hate to see it but it seems like the solar industry is suffering a quality spiral and migrating to China. I do NOT like relying on Chinese equipment. American sure, but not Chinese.

That sucks! My magnum is going on 15 years and I wanted a second one to replace it before it goes out. I hate to see it but it seems like the solar industry is suffering a quality spiral and migrating to China. I do NOT like relying on Chinese equipment. American sure, but not Chinese.
Get a Samlex EVO. Made in Taiwan, quality product with Canadian support on the first ring. I have one and its 100% quality.
Better quality than a Magnum and waaaaayyyyyyyyyy better support.

Get a Samlex EVO. Made in Taiwan, quality product with Canadian support on the first ring. I have one and its 100% quality.
Better quality than a Magnum and waaaaayyyyyyyyyy better support.
Maybe, at this point I might need to hedge my bets and wire for 120 only which helps with inverters. I am considering victron, best warranty I’ve seen yet.

Last edited:
Update from Magnum to me.

Today I got an email back from Magnum Energy after months of un answered emails and calls. I never expected a replay at this point. They have offered to replace my broken (non charging) 4448PAE under warranty. They explained that they don’t have a repair facility yet since they have moved. I gave them the information they requested and will wait and see what happens.

I’ve been on the phone all day long trying to find Answers as to why Magnum won’t return an email or phone call.

I now believe they are out of business. Ive spoke with several vendors with different stories but that last made it clear. This guy told me he has dealt with them for 20 years and believes they are out of business or in the process of going out of business. That he thinks they are not going to make it. He also told me that he was told by his vendor that they would be shipping new product in January 2023.

This is all speculation. I think what they are trying to do is move the Magnum energy production to ether China or Mexico. That was two more rumors I was told by vendors. But when the last guy said (I don’t think they are going to make it) leads me to believe it.

What was once a good American made brand that I wasted over $5k on. :(
Hi Jack, I actually work for a registered dealer for Magnum Energy (believe me or not) - and to put it lightly it has been an absolute nightmare. For myself and all customers. Magnum has been equally un-cooperative with their customers as they have been with their distributors. I've heard many different stories but we were given a maze of emails of who to contact for inverters that were late by almost 2 years. Supply issues is absolutely no excuse to treat your trusted consumers and distributors like garbage. Magnum has been around since the dinosaur ages, especially in north America. So unfortunately there's literally no one to fully fill-in their shoes with regards to meeting the electrical code as seamlessly as their product line.

So fortunately; they are not (yet) out of business. But I do hope they can reconcile an incredibly fractured relationship with their distributors (whom we have absolutely 0 trust in them or their word to deliver on promise.) They have severely damaged their reputation as a trusted brand with this charade of "supply issues". Regardless of whether genuinely true or not, how it was handled was utterly despicable. Constant lying, "shipment is on it's way" was something we heard too often. We opted to telling our customers the whole damn truth which was just that magnum is a liar. "we have no idea when they'll be available since magnum is a liar" effectively was the message.

The word on the street these days is Magnum was moving their manufacturing warehouses from America down more south towards Mexico. And apparently that has taken 2 years. This is seemingly true since they are slightly beginning to manufacture (trace amounts of inverters are whispering their way into the markets again). But again no way of confirming. They don't seem to give a crap and they're pulling back on servicing locations. (removing them entirely for some areas)

Hi Jack, I actually work for a registered dealer for Magnum Energy (believe me or not) - and to put it lightly it has been an absolute nightmare. For myself and all customers. Magnum has been equally un-cooperative with their customers as they have been with their distributors. I've heard many different stories but we were given a maze of emails of who to contact for inverters that were late by almost 2 years. Supply issues is absolutely no excuse to treat your trusted consumers and distributors like garbage. Magnum has been around since the dinosaur ages, especially in north America. So unfortunately there's literally no one to fully fill-in their shoes with regards to meeting the electrical code as seamlessly as their product line.

So fortunately; they are not (yet) out of business. But I do hope they can reconcile an incredibly fractured relationship with their distributors (whom we have absolutely 0 trust in them or their word to deliver on promise.) They have severely damaged their reputation as a trusted brand with this charade of "supply issues". Regardless of whether genuinely true or not, how it was handled was utterly despicable. Constant lying, "shipment is on it's way" was something we heard too often. We opted to telling our customers the whole damn truth which was just that magnum is a liar. "we have no idea when they'll be available since magnum is a liar" effectively was the message.

The word on the street these days is Magnum was moving their manufacturing warehouses from America down more south towards Mexico. And apparently that has taken 2 years. This is seemingly true since they are slightly beginning to manufacture (trace amounts of inverters are whispering their way into the markets again). But again no way of confirming. They don't seem to give a crap and they're pulling back on servicing locations. (removing them entirely for some areas)
Mexico wont work.
As an old IT guy I had a BIG customer that "attempted" to move their manufacturing plant to Mexico. After less than 1 year they moved it back with millions in losses.
They had to contend with crime cartels, extortion, employee extortion, bribes, workers demanding raises as they were forced to pay "protection" money out their paychecks etc etc etc.........

This has a a a copy&paste of the email I got yesterday.

Dave,

Sorry you haven’t gotten any response to calls and emails in Customer Support.

Who is the repair facility that did not want to repair the inverter?

I’m in Tech Support but can help you get a warranty claim started. At this time we are not doing repairs here as we’ve moved manufacturing and the new location is not ready for repairs yet.

If you will send me a mailing address and the model/serial number of the inverter I will start an RMA to get you a replacement.

Best Regards,

Jesse White.

Not only Mexico but Juárez Mexico of all places.

I worked on a farm with hundreds of Mexicans. None of them like to go there. Was told by them it was the most corrupt State in Mexico.

Not only Mexico but Juárez Mexico of all places.

I worked on a farm with hundreds of Mexicans. None of them like to go there. Was told by them it was the most corrupt State in Mexico.
Yikes. Yeah we'll see what happens from here. I'm just hoping for the best on people who are dependant and off the Grid. They need a brand they can trust and for a long time that was the case. Too bad.

Cheers,

Mexico wont work.
As an old IT guy I had a BIG customer that "attempted" to move their manufacturing plant to Mexico. After less than 1 year they moved it back with millions in losses.
They had to contend with crime cartels, extortion, employee extortion, bribes, workers demanding raises as they were forced to pay "protection" money out their paychecks etc etc etc.........
well done, edit your comment and then cry to whomever will listen.

Multiple calls and emails about a mysterious drop to 58.3Hz from 60Hz for several hours on some days unless he's pulling a heavy load on another inverter attached to the same bank running his well pump. On days he doesn't run his well pump, he loses 7-8 minutes on many of his clocks that are 60Hz dependent.
Most likely he is in "Custom" battery settings and it is frequency dithering. Magnums PAE inverters frequency dither to regulate the AC coupled inverters they used to sell. As the battery gets close to the setpoints the PAE wold alter the frequency to throttle the micro inverters

Most likely he is in "Custom" battery settings and it is frequency dithering.

Nope. Using defaults. No other hardware is Magnum, and he doesn't even have the control panel to change settings. Rarely uses it for charging.

Magnums PAE inverters frequency dither to regulate the AC coupled inverters they used to sell. As the battery gets close to the setpoints the PAE wold alter the frequency to throttle the micro inverters

Interesting.

Happy to hear something is coming down the pipeline, at least.
I just heard a story the other day of a user being screamed at by magnum tech support. tech support although never a fun thing to deal with... never an excuse to treat people badly :- ).

let me know how it concludes when you get your inverter. if there's delays etc..

Happy to hear something is coming down the pipeline, at least.
I just heard a story the other day of a user being screamed at by magnum tech support. tech support although never a fun thing to deal with... never an excuse to treat people badly :- ).

let me know how it concludes when you get your inverter. if there's delays etc..
The fact that somebody talked to magnum tech support at all is pretty shocking. They haven't answered their phones since 2016 at least, had their equipment fail (during warranty period) back then and they were just as useless and unresponsive.

I just purchased a MS4024 on eBay, mfg. date 7/22, so apparently they're not done yet. Made in Mexico, btw.

Back