I finally bought it! Fronius 10.0-1 Primo with 12.7kw Jinko

jgriffin

Alright, Black Friday got the best of me:

Fronius Primo 10.0-1 Inverter
Fronius Quattro Rapid ShutDown
Kinetic Racking & Hardware
12.7 kw Jinko 455 watt bifacials(28)
300' of both Black & Red PV wire,

Time to Grid Tie! My electrician has never done a grid-tie before, and I have a good enough relationship with him to opt in and be the guinnea pig. We're adhering to 2018 Electrical Code in New Brunswick.

I'm going to be building a rather large "pergola," so that's definitely what needs to happen first. The rapid Shutdown come with the "kit" so I may as well make use of it, even though I'm sitll not sure if a pergola is considered roof, or ground mount really. Figured this would cover me either way. But, this brings a problem. Primo can handle 1000vdc, so 2 strings of 14 would have been perfect.

However, Quattro can only handle 600vdc, so I have to change my setup a bit. 2 strings of 9 panels brought together at a combiner, then another string of 10 going straight into the quattro. Figured it was the best way to keep my voltage up enough.
I think it's best to have the Quattro close to the array, run the 2 wire contact to the inverter in the same duct as the 2 PV strings coming in (3 strings going into the Quattro, 2 exiting), maybe in a 2" PVC? I'm not up on ducting requirements, will confirm with electrician.

Now, where Quattro Rapid Shutdown brings PV voltage down to 30v, does this negate the need for a DC Disconnect entirely? I get that it's still live after being activated, just didn't know if it was redundant to do so. I also get that it's acting like my combiner box as well, so that's one thing going for me.

Also, PV wire coming in around 450Voc, should that be metal clad once it enters the home? I'm working on One-Line Diagram now, kind of want to understand this as much as possible before submitting. I have a Powerline Technician background, so electrician stuff i'm really relying on my electrician helper. I don't want to bug him with 1000 questions, especially on something he's never taken on before. Small Island, not a lot of people, make the best of it kinda thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I will post one line diagram so it can be critiqued/laughed at before sending to utility. I really do encourage laughter.

what NEC standards (year) are you required to adhere to? The Quattro RSD is 2014....most authorities want either 2017 or 2020

I actually just received this equipment last week. Had some hiccups along the way and i've not yet been able to install anything (our concrete plant is a bit troublesome in colder temps, hardly starting it all up for 1/2 yard.
I ended up not going with an RSD at all. Where I am going with a ground mount, It wasn't absolutely required to meet New Brunswick code, which I believe are still using 14. I know i wrote 18 in the previous post, so i'll get some clarification on NEC standards. I've had to tweak my setup when factoring in cold weather, I would have been over the rated 600VOC if I used 10 on the last string. So 8 should work. No combiners required, I've even asked some installers and they're not even requiring any additional pv disconnects or fusing on a ground mount, which is actually kind of hard to find CSA approved from factory equipment that isn't an absurd amount of money.
If you're going roof mount, SolarPowerStore was suggesting AP systems. Pricey, think it was around 1500'ish with the transmitter as well. I actually still wanted it, but it would have added a TON of connections to the install. I live on a remote island in the Bay of Fundy, so the more connections, the more chances for salt to do it's thing.

We're using 2018 CEC, I just breezed over the section on Rapid Shutdown Systems, it does a little blurb on labelling properly in the field, but nothing really stating the Quattro wouldn't be admissible. However, on the e-mail from SolarPowerStore they did say string level rapid shutdown will no longer be accepted by ESA. You're probably on to something there.

Back