diy solar

diy solar

I found a battery on ebay, free shipping, 100Ah $299... im going to do a load test on it... should i post a video here?

I don't see any need to top balance. I never take my cells above 3.45 volts anyway.
The problem with that is we're not charging the individual cells. If it's anything like the 2 Global Power batteries I have like this, and it looks like it is, you'll have 1 cell hitting the BMS cutoff (way over 3.45), and the others undercharged. For a goal of 3.45, charge to 13.8. 3.65 + 3.65 + 3.25 + 3.25=13.8
Both of my batts had 1 cell high and 1 cell low, as much as 30 AH. Davey, It looks like you might have 2 high & 2 low, maybe not as bad as mine. Maybe do a load test before you start a top balance? How fast can your BMS balance?

If you Slam Charge these through a solor charge controller70-80% soc is what you will see. Slam Charging is like .5c. I Slam Charge my Packs all the time. 12 volt 30 Ah Lifepo4 Packs charge rate15 amps through a solar charge controller. That's how we roll. Maybe your missing something.

The problem with that is we're not charging the individual cells. If it's anything like the 2 Global Power batteries I have like this, and it looks like it is, you'll have 1 cell hitting the BMS cutoff (way over 3.45), and the others undercharged. For a goal of 3.45, charge to 13.8. 3.65 + 3.65 + 3.25 + 3.25=13.8
You are correct. I misread the voltages as all being within 0.001 volts of each other, with the highest being 3.56 volts. That would have put them all well into the upper knee if my observation was correct. As it was, one cell was 3.355 volts which is in the flat section of the charge curve.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards doing a top balance. @papab did you have to disassemble everything (remove cell shrink-wrap etc.) to do your top balance?

I'm leaning towards doing a top balance. @papab did you have to disassemble everything (remove cell shrink-wrap etc.) to do your top balance?
No, just unplugged BMS, and went thru the little wires. One at a time. Very Slow. I'll post up more information tomorrow. I just finished the balance & I'll do discharge test tomorrow.

I left the battery alone with the JDB BMS balancing all day and it might have done the job. 0B50128F-4AC4-487A-BE42-5A240D058B50.png

This is probably too much information, but here it is anyway :)
I received Battery #1 in early Dec. It tested out at around 70 AH. I contacted Jim at GlobalPower and he sent out another one. Kudos to Jim for good customer service. This one tested at about 80 ah. I didn't want to open them up and void the warranty so I contacted Jim & he said go ahead. I balanced #2 and got it up to 95 ah & I don't think I did a perfect job of balancing so I thought that was good enough.
Now I had some time to tackle #1. Here's a summary:

All the balancing is done through the BMS connector, so no big cable, low voltage drop connection like what is recommended. Since the juice is going thru the little BMS wires & no access to the cell, I didn't really know what the voltage was at the cell when there is current flowing.
The BMS started cutting out (over volt cutoff) at about 13.64V
The cells measured:
There was a delay from disconnecting power to measuring so the high cell wasn't at 3.65 anymore. I've probed the pins while at the limit and it does look like the BMS cuts out at 3.65.

Discharge #2
Since it took so long to balance batt #1 I decided to bleed some off from the high cell this time, thinking maybe that would go quicker. Not sure it it helped.
I found a long section of wire that measured about 0.5 ohms. I tried to run the current thru my DVM, but the internal resistance of that was too much, I only had a trickle of current. I managed to kluge together something that gave me about a 2.7 amp load (measured with a clamp meter). I discharged that cell until the voltage was down to about 3.0 V with the load (probably not very accurate due to the voltage drop). I put it back together and charged it up, but it still cut out at about the same. Did the same thing again, improved my kluge and ran it longer and pulled about 10 ah out.

I put it back together and charged it up (~5ah) & now got it to go to 13.75 before it started cutting out.
Cell voltages: 3.348 3.352 3.360 3.610

So it looks like I took too much out of Cell#2 and now #4 is the high one.

Charge #1
Starting with the lowest, #1, I slowly brought it up. I added about 32.3 AH, with the final measurement at 3.60V, 0.18 amps. There was quite a bit of voltage drop in my leads from the power supply to the clips near the BMS connector so during the day I would set the power supply to 3.68 - 3.75, and monitor the volts near the BMS connector and keep it less than 3.65. It took about 24 hours and I moved on to the next one. It was still taking about 0.25 amps at 3.65.
3.60 3.35 3.30 3.35

Charge #3
A half of a day and overnight brought #3 up to 3.60 & 0.043 amps
3.379 3.351 3.60 3.364
Put the charger on the whole battery until cutoff at 14.0
3.39 3.344 3.645 3.63

Topping off #2
About 3 hrs, 3.3 ah, brought it to 0.02 amps at 3.61
Top off #1 (again)
About 1 hr, 0.53 ah

After sitting for a couple of hours the cell voltages were:
3.443 3.526 3.446 3.373
It seems curious that C#4 is so low.

A discharge test showed a little over 100 ah. I didn't have a shunt or battery monitor, the capacity was estimated with lots of amp measurements, and a pretty consistent load.
After the discharge I was able to charge it up to 14.2 V before it would cutout.
Cell volts: 3.493 3.639 3.633 3.464
Not perfect, but good enough.

Last edited:
I'm shooting for 13.6v max charge, and with victron shunt I'm getting 104Ah.
Yes, the cells don't charge equally above 3.4v, but aside from balancing, 3.4v is a full bank.
To get perfect 100%full battery, disassembly and top balancing of each pack is needed.
I'm fine with packs stopping at 3.4v

Well my 2 replacement batteries have shipped, but he wants me to return the two bad ones, so I won't be able to conduct a post mortem. I retested them today and they will discharge, but won't charge and the discharge voltage seems low. (On battery meter reads 13.1 but I only get 12.6 at the posts)

After spending some time trying to safely cut away the silicone adhesive to remove the cell packs, I decided to cut bait, and not try to open things up to top balance. I was happy with the 120A JBD BMS in on the first battery after a few charge/discharge cycles so I did the same on a second battery. The BMS swap is much easier the second time and everything is reversable.
For now, I'm happy with setting conservative over-voltage and under-voltage cutoff and have them "live on the plateau" where these batteries seem to stay balanced. I have the BMS set to start balancing at 3350mV at a delta of 10mV with "Bal. only when charging" turned off.
Having the ability to monitor and config via Bluetooth is a gamechanger for these batteries as it opens up the ability to be more or less conservative with the settings....the bad thing is that I'm constantly monitoring both batteries. ;)

After spending some time trying to safely cut away the silicone adhesive to remove the cell packs, I decided to cut bait, and not try to open things up to top balance. I was happy with the 120A JBD BMS in on the first battery after a few charge/discharge cycles so I did the same on a second battery. The BMS swap is much easier the second time and everything is reversable.
For now, I'm happy with setting conservative over-voltage and under-voltage cutoff and have them "live on the plateau" where these batteries seem to stay balanced. I have the BMS set to start balancing at 3350mV at a delta of 10mV with "Bal. only when charging" turned off.
Having the ability to monitor and config via Bluetooth is a gamechanger for these batteries as it opens up the ability to be more or less conservative with the settings....the bad thing is that I'm constantly monitoring both batteries. ;)
Yes, Bluetooth bms is much more powerful than no smart ones because the ability to change parameters. And that help to reach balance much easier. Many of the non adjustable bms won’t balance until cell volt reach 3.6v. At 3.6v, cell capacity is near full so voltage will shoot up very quickly. The tiny balance current won’t be able to slow down so bms cutoff happens very quickly too.

Last edited:
Back