diy solar

diy solar

I found an Aliexpress HVDC MPPT for HVDC Battery, anyone tried?

I'd like an off-grid system that runs HVDC (200V+, not trying to be technical) to avoid fat wires and parallel 48v batteries. I haven't found much from the common manufacturers, but I did stumble across this on Aliexpress:

MPPT LCD Display 50A 192V/216V/240V Auto Solar Charge Controller PV Home Battery

It can take 450-500v array voltage to charge an 192V/50A, 216V/50A, 240V/50A, or 384V/50A battery.

Has anyone here seen another version of this or tried one of these?

I don't think many have. These tend to be a lot more difficult to work with and you really need to know what you're doing since you're working with lethal voltages. I've done high voltage set-ups, but I'm not familiar with that MPPT.

Yeah, it's definitely more dangerous to play with, but the reduction in cable costs, wiring complexity and avoiding potential parallel battery balance issues seem like it might be worth it. With all of the automotive traction batteries using high voltages, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in a HVDC MPPT + Inverter combo.

p.s. Cool blogs! Need more graphs! More data!

Yeah, it's definitely more dangerous to play with, but the reduction in cable costs, wiring complexity and avoiding potential parallel battery balance issues seem like it might be worth it. With all of the automotive traction batteries using high voltages, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in a HVDC MPPT + Inverter combo.

High voltage solar is pretty common, for the reasons you mention. However, high voltage battery isn't because it's much easier to find suitable inverters and other equipment (BMS etc.) designed to work with 48V. Cable losses etc. are much less of a problem from battery to inverter and between battery and MPPT than it is from panel to MPPT, and MPPTs that connect to a 48V battery but can take a high solar voltage are pretty common.

p.s. Cool blogs! Need more graphs! More data!

Thanks! I'm working on graphing/data, just lack time... Too many other things to do.

Back