diy solar

diy solar

I have 61" front to back and 55" rain gutter to rain gutter on the roof of my Sprinter RV. What is the most Solar I can fit there?

Here is the 200 Watt panel that Will links to. Anyone found anything that would give me more watts in my 61" front to back space on my Sprinter roof?

I would put the mount near the gutter and if you dont worry about what it looks like take the panel so that it goes out as far as the side panels do. More shade if its hot and maximum solar. I know a guy who covered His toyota coaster with panels - he only had 200 amp hours of storage but he could run ovens and aircon and induction stove and coffee machine in the day. Once you have a few up there its about the same wind drag if they are all level.

Many people here have fold out panels that you sit on the ground and face directly at the sun - move it a couple of times a day while you are stationary. Could have security probs. Lots of people use them here. Doesn't matter what I drive -now solar is so cheap I would put up as much as possible.

I would put the mount near the gutter and if you dont worry about what it looks like take the panel so that it goes out as far as the side panels do. More shade if its hot and maximum solar. I know a guy who covered His toyota coaster with panels - he only had 200 amp hours of storage but he could run ovens and aircon and induction stove and coffee machine in the day. Once you have a few up there its about the same wind drag if they are all level.

Many people here have fold out panels that you sit on the ground and face directly at the sun - move it a couple of times a day while you are stationary. Could have security probs. Lots of people use them here. Doesn't matter what I drive -now solar is so cheap I would put up as much as possible.
My Sprinter is an RV,....I only have the 61" front to back and 55" rain gutter to rain gutter due to roof top AC and power vents,...would prefer not to go to the rain gutter if possible. Fold out panels seem over priced to me,...may try just carrying another loose glass panel and just putting it out.

If you run a rail mount parallel to the rain gutters you could push the panel edges out as far as you dare, tree branches may become a concern if you really push the limits.
I've seen documentation of installations that used drawer type slides to store a second set of panels below the primary set. The lower set is paralleled so its darkness does not affect the primary array while traveling. Once parked extend the lower panels to double capacity.

If you run a rail mount parallel to the rain gutters you could push the panel edges out as far as you dare, tree branches may become a concern if you really push the limits.
I've seen documentation of installations that used drawer type slides to store a second set of panels below the primary set. The lower set is paralleled so its darkness does not affect the primary array while traveling. Once parked extend the lower panels to double capacity.
Sounds like a clever solution. Thanks for the idea

From the factory Sprinter Leisure Way (LTV) offers (2 x 100W =) 200W & (4 X 100W =) 400 W Flexible ? Solar Panels. I’ve opted not to use FlexPanels (they don’t last long... maybe 2-5 years) instead put 4 X 120W Monocrystalline Rigid Panels (last 25+ years) which cost ~$100 each.
Yes, I did add a 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller and 3.6 KWH of LifePo4 batteries. Did keep the 2 X 6 volt AGM ((280ah @ 12v)/(2)) = 1.68 KWH Batteries by adding 45A Diodes to separate (isolate) the AGM & LifePo4 batteries. The AGM is for all 12 VDC needs, LifePo4 is for the 2KW Inverter (120 VAC) for everything else. Total cost for everything was under $2K...
When the AGM batteries die (3-4 years) will replace them with LifePo4 batteries that should last 20+ years.

Last edited:
I hope you buy top quality batteries and look after them to get your twenty years (Jake). If fold out panels are too pricey just make your own at any size. Its only two hinges and a catch - there are some 50 watt plus panels that have smaller and much lighter aluminium frames.

Last edited:
Will, All,
Anyone found a more powerful solar panel that I can fit 2 of in my 61 x 55 roof space?
Here is the biggest one I have found (suggested by Will),

Brian in San Antonio

I have 2X 200 watt panels on my motorhome roof. -I get about 17 amps best. On rainy days about 3-4 amps which is enough to keep my freezer happy.

Last edited:
I am currently building a Sprinter 170 Van conversion and I went with 2x 400W Jinko Solar Panels for an 800W solar system. I used 15 series 80/20 to make custom roof rails and then I'm mounting them on lengthwise down the van with simple cross rails. The rear is actually elevated about 8 inches on a custom box I built that provides storage and also allows me to run an A/C unit and a Fantastic Fan under the panels. I have 2 more panels for sale as well, since you have to buy a minimum of 4.

My setup look similar to the TinyWatts walkable solar panels that they offer, however I looked and there setup costs ~15k. Mine all in after build cost was only about 4k. Their setup is 1000W however, mine is only 800W.

As you lay this out remember that they can hang over the roof a couple of inches. You are pretty much limited to putting them cross ways if you want more than one panel. 2 of them with as high a wattage rating as you can find and afford is about it on that roof.

I am currently building a Sprinter 170 Van conversion and I went with 2x 400W Jinko Solar Panels for an 800W solar system. I used 15 series 80/20 to make custom roof rails and then I'm mounting them on lengthwise down the van with simple cross rails. The rear is actually elevated about 8 inches on a custom box I built that provides storage and also allows me to run an A/C unit and a Fantastic Fan under the panels. I have 2 more panels for sale as well, since you have to buy a minimum of 4.

My setup look similar to the TinyWatts walkable solar panels that they offer, however I looked and there setup costs ~15k. Mine all in after build cost was only about 4k. Their setup is 1000W however, mine is only 800W.
Is there a link for your Jinko brand?

I would opt for 2 of these

It doesnt look too hard to build a rack with 2 large panels on top of each other with the upper or lower panel able to move out and act as an awning with a linear actuator.

Kind of similar to this just make another stationary upper layer

Last edited:
Back