diy solar

diy solar

I have a 270Ah Battleborn battery. What do I do next?

Haskie

Hi everybody! I hope this hasn’t been discussed already because I couldn’t find a specific thread, but I need some guidance.

I have a 270 amp hour 12 volt GC3 Battleborn battery. I got it to build a 12v system while living in a vehicle. My main concern right now is the inverter I can/could/should use. 4000 watts would do everything of course, but the battery is only 270Ah and I only want the one since it’s large. I loosely know that batteries dictate what inverter you can use because they have to be able to power them as well as the loads you add, so what is my best option? I’m not getting another battery but I wouldn’t mind a solar generator to handle my high surge appliances like my water kettle separately. And frankly, is the model of the battery a hindrance at all??

My daily/frequent uses for the battery and inverter would be 12v lights, 12v water pump, 120v water heater once a day, charging small electronics once a day, a 12v fridge, a 110v TV, video game consoles every few days (PS4, original Xbox, GameCube, etc.), 80 watt gaming laptop, Mac Mini computer, charging console controllers, and two small thermoelectric fridges (one 12v DC the other 110v AC).

I’m open to any and all advice/expertise! Please remember that I cannot buy another 270Ah battery for series or parallel and am past the return window to simply get 2 or more 100Ah batteries. I would also like to stay with the simple 12v system for now. I am also open to purchasing one of those “all in one” systems if a 1000 watt inverter can work well for what I described above. I’m just struggling to figure it all out on my own. Thank you!

Hi everybody! I hope this hasn’t been discussed already because I couldn’t find a specific thread, but I need some guidance.

I have a 270 amp hour 12 volt GC3 Battleborn battery. I got it to build a 12v system while living in a vehicle. My main concern right now is the inverter I can/could/should use. 4000 watts would do everything of course, but the battery is only 270Ah and I only want the one since it’s large.

300A max discharge.

300A * 12 * .85 (inverter inefficiencies) = 3060W - the max Watts the battery can handle.

I loosely know that batteries dictate what inverter you can use because they have to be able to power them as well as the loads you add, so what is my best option? I’m not getting another battery but I wouldn’t mind a solar generator to handle my high surge appliances

"solar generator" - not likely to be good for "surge" appliances.

like my water kettle separately. And frankly, is the model of the battery a hindrance at all??

Water kettle is not a "surge" appliance. Anything with an electric motor is.

My daily/frequent uses for the battery and inverter would be 12v lights, 12v water pump, 120v water heater once a day, charging small electronics once a day, a 12v fridge, a 110v TV, video game consoles every few days (PS4, original Xbox, GameCube, etc.), 80 watt gaming laptop, Mac Mini computer, charging console controllers, and two small thermoelectric fridges (one 12v DC the other 110v AC).

For each item listed, you need to determine the power consumption. There's an Energy Audit spreadsheet in Resources.

I’m open to any and all advice/expertise! Please remember that I cannot buy another 270Ah battery for series or parallel and am past the return window to simply get 2 or more 100Ah batteries. I would also like to stay with the simple 12v system for now. I am also open to purchasing one of those “all in one” systems if a 1000 watt inverter can work well for what I described above. I’m just struggling to figure it all out on my own. Thank you!

Without more info about your loads, it's difficult to provide any meaningful guidance.

Do you plan to use solar? If so, your daily load utilization and energy consumption are a critical need-to-know.

300A max discharge.

300A * 12 * .85 (inverter inefficiencies) = 3060W - the max Watts the battery can handle.

"solar generator" - not likely to be good for "surge" appliances.

Water kettle is not a "surge" appliance. Anything with an electric motor is.

For each item listed, you need to determine the power consumption. There's an Energy Audit spreadsheet in Resources.

Without more info about your loads, it's difficult to provide any meaningful guidance.

Do you plan to use solar? If so, your daily load utilization and energy consumption are a critical need-to-know.
Sorry, I meant my microwave. Water kettle is 1500 continuous. So would you not recommend the Bluetti 2000 watt generator for any surges? I can get a more efficient microwave I’m sure, I’m just anticipating usage with the one I already have. I’m not against using solar at all depending on how much it may cost total but I have a second alternator I was wanting to use since it’s already there.

So I’m reading that a 3000 watt inverter is the most I can handle, correct? That would mean I should get a 2000 watt, or is it impossible to tell without knowing my power consumption first? Thank you for replying.

Sorry, I meant my microwave.

The surge associated with a microwave is pretty violent, but it's only for one cycle. Most inverters don't even sense it. My 2kW WZRELB inverter handled our 1000W microwave with no problem.

Continuous consumption is the bigger concern. 1000W microwave burns 1600W. 700W burns about 1100W, so plan accordingly, i.e., assume any microwave you purchase uses 1.6X the rating of the microwave.

Water kettle is 1500 continuous. So would you not recommend the Bluetti 2000 watt generator for any surges?

I don't recommend the Bluetti. Ever. Very low value vs. DIY. Your single battery can accommodate up to 3kW. So far, nothing seems to need more than 2kW.

I can get a more efficient microwave I’m sure, I’m just anticipating usage with the one I already have. I’m not against using solar at all depending on how much it may cost total but I have a second alternator I was wanting to use since it’s already there.

Would encourage Solar. You don't have to run a big engine to charge your battery.

So I’m reading that a 3000 watt inverter is the most I can handle, correct?

yes.

That would mean I should get a 2000 watt, or is it impossible to tell without knowing my power consumption first?

I included a 0.85 factor. That should cover the inefficiencies of most inverters on the market, so it's a pretty safe bet that 3kW is do-able.

A couple things to consider on inverter sizing:
  1. Size for your known loads and desired operating scenario. Are you okay with running multiple high-drain items, or are you okay with running one at a time.
  2. Bigger inverters use more power just being on, i.e., even if you have no loads, a 3kW inverter will typically consume about 50% more idle power than a 2kW inverter. Some inverters are quite hungry. The 3kW Growatt inverter burns about 45W... any time it's on. That's 1080Wh/day if left on 24/7. That's about 28% of your total battery capacity.

Back