diy solar

diy solar

I have the poor connection blues - help me

JaVid

I have (2) 280Ah 24V diy battery packs that I have had up and running for about a year now. I am off grid and these batteries have literally changed my life in so many ways, but I have had connection/corrosion issues that seem to crop up more and more and I am looking for a solution.

I am using the tinned busbars that came from Basen with my cells and when I initially put them together, I gave each connection (both the terminal and the busbar) a light sanding with 3M P320 sandpaper, wiped them down with isopropyl alcohol, and then a light coating of Ox-guard and tightened them up snug. This seems to work out fine for the short terms, but every month or two my BMS shows something strange on a cell and I need to take things apart near that cell and re-do them.

Do other folks who made a DIY battery have these issues? If you have had your batteries put together for longer than 6 months and aren't having any of these issues, can you tell me what you did to connect the batteries? Anybody see any issues with how I did the connections? Was it a mistake to lightly sand the tinned busbars? I am willing to invest in a new or better solution so any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

What kind of connectors do your cells have? Welded studs? Female threads? What size?

My 280Ah is holding up fine bouncing around in the trailer. Seems like you have the electrical side covered. Do you have the cells in compression to keep any physical stress off the terminal connections?

Buy a torque wrench.
When I bought these cells everyone warned how weak the threads were. So I put studs in them and used loctite to hold the studs. I still use allen wrench to back the stud when I at tightening. Not sure how I would use torque wrench in this set up. The batteries are stationary. You think the lack of torque is allowing oxidation?

My 280Ah is holding up fine bouncing around in the trailer. Seems like you have the electrical side covered. Do you have the cells in compression to keep any physical stress off the terminal connections?
My Batteries are stationary and they are not in compression. They are spaced apart so no physical stress on busbars.

Can you share a picture of your connection? If the loctite is in the current path you will have problems (IIRC).

Can you share a picture of your connection? If the loctite is in the current path you will have problems (IIRC).
I will get a picture tomorrow of my set up. The loctite is not in the current path - I was careful with it when installing the stud and any loctite that got on the terminal was sanded off - very small amount got on. The current path is the busbar/terminal connection.

Female threads that I have put studs into with Red Loctite. Not sure what size.

Red is complete and total overkill and will ensure the destruction of your terminals if you ever need to remove them. Use blue or purple.

When I bought these cells everyone warned how weak the threads were. So I put studs in them and used loctite to hold the studs. I still use allen wrench to back the stud when I at tightening. Not sure how I would use torque wrench in this set up.

Deep well socket.

1658277601973.png
This is what I used for my 588 5mm thd, 8mm hex nuts

The batteries are stationary. You think the lack of torque is allowing oxidation?

A lack of torque can cause all kinds of problems..

No idea. Lots of accounts of it's magical properties. I just used a bunch to attach 60 feet of Aluminum bus bars to nickel plated copper terminals.
I will pick some up. Thanks for recomendation. 60 feet of aluminum bus bars? That must be a big system! Where did you get your bus bars from?

Red is complete and total overkill and will ensure the destruction of your terminals if you ever need to remove them. Use blue or purple.

Deep well socket.

View attachment 103291
This is what I used for my 588 5mm thd, 8mm hex nuts

A lack of torque can cause all kinds of problems..
Well, I am not sure why I would want to remove the studs, but you are right - the red is supposed to be permanent (at least I hope - there might have been cutting oil in the threads which would change that). Its hard to bring those days back, but everyone was getting cells with terrible threads (not vertical and of varying depths and quality) and they were stripping out constantly. Lots of folks were using JB Weld rather than loctite red.

The studs I installed have a hex on top and I use those to keep the studs from moving and getting dislodged. Then I use open ended wrench for tightening the nut. That is why hard to use torque wrench...

I was impressed with this one when I received it.

I didn't need these but they are available. Called crowfoot wrench.
Thanks for the links - that crowfoot wrench is just what I need to also keep stud in place...

Just be aware that using a crowsfoot with a torque wrench can change the actual torque applied to the fastener. This is because the length of the lever can be longer or shorter depending on the angle of the crowsfoot in relation to the arm of the wrench. For accuracy, you should keep the crowsfoot at 90 degrees to the torque wrench.

Back