diy solar

diy solar

I have Voltage loss only when Battleborn battery connected, not with a flooded?

I purchased a Victron 120v wall battery charger and pulled my BB battery out of the camper. I charged it fully using the li-ion charge profile on my workbench with no loads attached. After charge was complete measured the voltage in several scenarios via multimeter:

1. while charging - 13.9v
2. charging complete, nothing connected - 12.6v
3. charging complete, tiny load (1 led on a circuit board) - 10.9v
4. charging complete, car air compressor load - 9.2v

Correct me if I am wrong but I think this is not what it should be doing. I am going to see if I can return it.
What did the charge history report look like from the Victron after the cycle was complete?
That will tell you how much power was actually put into the battery, final voltage, elapsed time, etc.

The battery charger went through all the charge stages and then finished up in storage stage at the end. It may not of charged fully but I don't think it is the charger that is at fault.
I had quite good results with this 12V charger over the winter.

Although I have lead acid batteries what makes me think this would be a good choice for you is that it is fully knob adjustable for voltage so you can precisely target the voltage required. Amps are also knob adjustable but with a 10A charger you pretty much max it- it will attenuate as target voltage is satisfied.
Just a thought. I’ve been a fan of “fully automatic” battery chargers for years, but I’m not convinced that most of them know what to do with lithium batteries. Being human adjustable let’s you do exactly what is needed and not trust some unseen mysterious ‘automatic’ function to deal with high-buy-in batteries. My opinion. Ymmv

Damaging a BMS in a ready built sealed battery is unusual. For interest could you please explain how the damage was caused?

Damaging a BMS in a ready built sealed battery is unusual. For interest could you please explain how the damage was caused?
Wire attached to the negative battery terminal briefly directly touched the positive battery terminal when I was originally installing it into the camper. Not my greatest moment...

Wire attached to the negative battery terminal briefly directly touched the positive battery terminal when I was originally installing it into the camper. Not my greatest moment...

That's a short circuit. LFP batteries must have short circuit protection. You can watch Will test it in many of his battery review videos. Every cheap battery I can recall him testing passes this test without issue.

A short circuit shouldn't cause a BMS to fail. It should simply activate short circuit protection. You inadvertently discovered a defect in the battery you bought. You did not cause it. That's why they are replacing it. They shipped you a defective product.

That said, please try to avoid short circuits. :)

BB didn’t give me a hard time or make feel worse than I did about the situation. I was in a bad spot and they helped me out with no drama. I do recommend them.

Thanks for everyone who also commented on this to provide your guidance. This is a great site.

Back