diy solar

diy solar

I Just Bought 30 435w Commercial Solar Panels...Now What

Because you are off-grid and don't need UL-1741-SA, you can also look for old model Sunny Boy. If they are second hand you will need grid-guard code to put them in off-grid mode. I've been able to buy 10000TLUS-12 (don't get the 208V only model) and 5000US for about $0.10/W, so cheaper than the new -40 or -41 models. See SMA's list of compatible models for off-grid.
Would model SB6000TL-US-22 work? Base on this document, I'm not so sure. What say you?

Would model SB6000TL-US-22 work? Base on this document, I'm not so sure. What say you?

According to that document, it no longer works for off-grid "not supported since 2016", but works for grid backup
Which makes us wonder, with SB6000TL-US-22 dated prior to 2016, and SI-6048US dated prior to 2016, why not?

Look into how that Sunny Boy could be configured for on-grid use. Does it require say RS-485 card in SB and SI to enable backup mode?
If so, you ought to be able to do that, and run "grid backup" with the grid never present.

Just my guess.
For it to have previously worked off-grid and not now suggests firmware change. If it no longer worked on-grid or grid-backup, that could alternatively be regulatory change or discovered non-compliance.

SB 10000TLUS-12 which I told SMA about is simply listed as "not compatible" with grid-backup. They didn't say previously compatible. It was listed as compatible in a previous version of the document, before I discovered the incompatibility.

According to that document, it no longer works for off-grid "not supported since 2016", but works for grid backup
Which makes us wonder, with SB6000TL-US-22 dated prior to 2016, and SI-6048US dated prior to 2016, why not?

Look into how that Sunny Boy could be configured for on-grid use. Does it require say RS-485 card in SB and SI to enable backup mode?
If so, you ought to be able to do that, and run "grid backup" with the grid never present.

Just my guess.
For it to have previously worked off-grid and not now suggests firmware change. If it no longer worked on-grid or grid-backup, that could alternatively be regulatory change or discovered non-compliance.

SB 10000TLUS-12 which I told SMA about is simply listed as "not compatible" with grid-backup. They didn't say previously compatible. It was listed as compatible in a previous version of the document, before I discovered the incompatibility.
Too iffy for me. I think I’ll just get the latest version. They are only $1200 each. That’s a lot less than what I should be able to get for my extra SI 6048’s. I have 4 but will only be using two.

The solar panels were delivered today, and I got a quote of $1200 for all the racking I’m going to need. I was expecting that to be higher as well. But I’m still going to be out $10k for everything, including renting a lift for a week to install the panels. I hope everything goes well.

Attachments

• 5E2E9C3E-596D-4775-BF08-6A98D783E145.jpeg
    5E2E9C3E-596D-4775-BF08-6A98D783E145.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 10
I suggest keeping the extra SI as spares, or maybe a future system.

I found the 6000TL-US-22 you would have bought.
The 10000TLUS-10 available is unfortunately is the 208V version (unlike -12 which supports several voltages.)

I see other older ones, price high enough not a bargain compared to the new model, at price you're saying. Although I see more like $1500.

The manual for -22 does mention RS-485 interface. But I don't have details on what makes it work or not with SI.

There are people using those two, though we don't know they are playing nice together.

I suggest keeping the extra SI as spares, or maybe a future system.

I found the 6000TL-US-22 you would have bought.
The 10000TLUS-10 available is unfortunately is the 208V version (unlike -12 which supports several voltages.)

I see other older ones, price high enough not a bargain compared to the new model, at price you're saying. Although I see more like $1500.

The manual for -22 does mention RS-485 interface. But I don't have details on what makes it work or not with SI.

There are people using those two, though we don't know they are playing nice together.

I thought about keeping them as spares, but I'd also like to recoup some of my expenses. Having two gives me one as a spare, and if I have to buy another one in 5 years, maybe they will be cheaper.

Last edited:
Sunny Boy GT PV would backfeed through SI AC output to AC input, if SI thinks grid is connected and backfeed is enabled.
"Grid Charge" would tell it not to backfeed.
"Gen" would tell it not to backfeed.
If both grid and generator present, a digital input is used to tell SI which is connected.
Hedges, I see in the manual that you configure the SI to either Grid, Gen, or both during initial setup. How can I tell how mine is set and how can I change it to GEN only (so it never backfeeds)?

Also, is the SB set to Off Grid or Standalone out of the box, or do I have to set that during initial setup...and how? I think it's set to Standalone out of the box, but I haven't been able to confirm that in all the documentation I've found.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You may be able to cycle through menus while SI is running to see what settings.
Or, when you first turn on main breaker, you should be able to go through QuickStart without changing anything, just note the settings.
Likely "Gen", 2Phase2, 1200 Ah 48V (or whatever battery capacity), etc.

SB would normally come ready for grid connection. If it is a new -41 model, it might be UL-1741SA. But I think frequency-watts is an optional setting of on-grid. "Offgrid" a.k.a "Island" would be a setting you have to select. I'm not sure how responsiveness differs from UL-1451-SA frequency-watts.

What SMA did later on earlier models was enable backup mode. But I think that was for RS-485 connected SB.

Is there anyway to use these 480v 3-phase inverters in my system?

Is there anyway to use these 480v 3-phase inverters in my system?

Sure why not? You planning to start a power company?

I wonder what the idle draw is on those? I don't see a spec sheet there...

My guess is they are grid tie inverters for commercial buildings to feed to the grid…
Not very useful otherwise.

Well I have my new Sun Power panels and Sunny Boy String Inverters hooked up to my Sunny Island Inverters and batteries. Today I saw the panel product 110% of their rated power. And my north facing array's are producting 85% of the south facing arrays. And early in the morning when the sun is still behind the trees, the north facing arrays actually product more power than the south facing arrays. I still haven't figured out how that is possible but that's what's happening.

Now I'd like to get lfp batteries to replace my lead acid forklift batteries. I think I'm going to sell my second trailer whole to buy new batteries.

Here is the readings from the one Sunny Boy with only 2 strings. The other one with 3 strings maxes out so I'm going to split up string 5 in two and divid the panels between the two inverters. Then I should get better yields in direct sunlight.

Each string has 6 - 435w panels which equals 2610 watts. As you can see, string A was putting out 2824 watts, 10% over the rated output.

String B is a north facing array, and it's putting out 85% of what string A is putting out (string A is south facing). I am very happy with the performance of these Sun Power E20-435-COM panels. They are well worth the $.38 per watt that I paid for them.

1647628757603.png

Here's is a shot from the inverter with 3 - 6 panel strings. It maxes out in direct sunlight. I will need to divide string 5 into 2 string of 3 panels each. That way I won't overload either 6.0kw inverter.

1647629515222.png

Last edited:
What is the reason for replacing batteries at this time?
If the forklift batteries are in good shape, they could live to be about 20. Given their large capacity, gentle use.

What is the reason for replacing batteries at this time?
If the forklift batteries are in good shape, they could live to be about 20. Given their large capacity, gentle use.
Well, I wouldn’t say they are in good shape. I’ve already had to replace a weak cell which would go negative in voltage, and replacing it revealed at least two more. When I had it tested, the guy said I had 5 more weak cells.

I finally have enough power to equalize the batteries, but it takes over 9kW to get the batteries up to 63 volts which is the maximum that the Sunny Islands will put out. However, they are still not fully equalized as the new cell I installed reaches a much higher voltage than the other cells (2.88 volts) which means some other cell(s) is lagging. It’s just a hot mess to have to deal with these lead acid batteries, especially in their condition. I’d feel much more comfortable with new LFP batteries that don’t require massive amounts of power to be equalized and specific gravity test and water replenishing. The only thing I like about that FLA batteries is that they are difficult to steal.

Although it’s starting to warm up here in Louisiana, I’m going to go ahead and install electric heating coils in my furnace. I may get able to put these batteries to the test before summer. Those coil pull 5.5kW but I hate buying propane twice a week when it’s cold. If I could get thru two cloudy days days with these batteries using full heating or cooling, I’d be surprised. But it’s not uncommon for us to get 3~5 cloudy days in a row here.

I guess the forklift batteries DC solar put on the trailers they didn't actually sell/lease weren't maintained. PV could have kept them floating, but without watering they could dry out over the years. No cycling, should have held up longer than being used. PV panels in parked position might not have been enough for these big batteries. 50 kWh or so of battery probably want 6kW charge, only had 2.4kW of PV hanging vertical, half facing each direction.

If you had two batteries with enough good cells to make one, might work out.

For Lithium with sunny Island, REC is one brand of BMS it can talk to. That will allow better control of charge voltage and current.

Are your Sunny Boys responding to frequency shift and smoothly adjusting watts produced? Or cycling on and off line?

I guess the forklift batteries DC solar put on the trailers they didn't actually sell/lease weren't maintained. PV could have kept them floating, but without watering they could dry out over the years. No cycling, should have held up longer than being used. PV panels in parked position might not have been enough for these big batteries. 50 kWh or so of battery probably want 6kW charge, only had 2.4kW of PV hanging vertical, half facing each direction.
They dried out. I had to add a gallon of water to each cell on the batteries I'm having a problem with. The other trailer only required about a quart per cell. Those batteries are performing better.
If you had two batteries with enough good cells to make one, might work out.
Then I'd have even less battery capacity.

For Lithium with sunny Island, REC is one brand of BMS it can talk to. That will allow better control of charge voltage and current.
Good to know.
Are your Sunny Boys responding to frequency shift and smoothly adjusting watts produced? Or cycling on and off line?
The Sunny Boys are responding to frequency shifting. I've been watching them very closely and I'm impressed with how they perform. The inverter that's closes to being maxed out is the one that downshifts first. I've seen the 3 string inverter reduce it's power output to match the 2 string inverter when the extra power wasn't needed. Then, when I stopped the equalization, they both dropped to just enough to run the house and the SI output was zero. Pretty slick how well they work together.

I am only using the batteries from one trailer at this time because I'm seriously considering selling the other trailer intact. But seeing how much power it takes to recharge and equalize just these two batteries, I think I would have to added the original panels back into the mix to get a full recharge in a day, especially this summer when I'll also be running the air conditioners. 12kW still ain't enough, but maybe adding 4kw more will do the trick. But it's clear that there still will be times when I have to run the generator. Looks like there's no escaping that.

Look how close they get during frequency shifting. They are 2kw apart when not derated.

The one on the right has 3 string while the one on the left only has two. But the one on the left was setup 1 day earlier than the one on the right, so the lifetime total is currently more. But that should change soon.

1647802001006.png

Look at the graph at the bottom. Notice how fast the one on the right drops compared to the left when the frequency shifts. Getting it away from max load.

1647803188119.png

Last edited:
Back