diy solar

diy solar

I keep blowing 400 amp t-fuses when charging at 240 amps

@JedTheFed, height matters. I'm getting ready to connect my Class T fuse holder to another device with a 1/4" copper bus bar (flat bar). The copper isn't going to bend one bit, especially not over the 4" length. If the two mating surfaces aren't on the exact same plane then the connection won't be good.

When using cables, there is a fair amount of give to them and you should be able to them to flex to match the mating surfaces. But if the distance is short, they'll flex only so much.

When I made connections with my 2/0 cables, I made sure to match the surface heights as close as I could and then rotate the lugs 180° on each end to give me more height difference if that was called for.

Go power 400 amp fuse. I blew 3 of them

Do you have the holder that is shown in data sheet?
If yes are you using it with fine strand wire without a ferrule?
I think that might be the cause of your heat problem.

@JedTheFed, height matters. I'm getting ready to connect my Class T fuse holder to another device with a 1/4" copper bus bar (flat bar). The copper isn't going to bend one bit, especially not over the 4" length. If the two mating surfaces aren't on the exact same plane then the connection won't be good.

When using cables, there is a fair amount of give to them and you should be able to them to flex to match the mating surfaces. But if the distance is short, they'll flex only so much.

When I made connections with my 2/0 cables, I made sure to match the surface heights as close as I could and then rotate the lugs 180° on each end to give me more height difference if that was called for.
Do you have the holder that is shown in data sheet?
If yes are you using it with fine strand wire without a ferrule?
I think that might be the cause of your heat problem.
Yes the holder is the one on the data sheet and I am using 4/0 weilding cable and noalox.

400A breakers are harder to find and a lot more expensive. Few have a suitable AIC rating equivalent to Type-T fuses.
I was looking at something like this

You made my point for me. That is a steaming pile of shit.
No need to be rude. I was just starting to research a breaker and thought if I showed you something and you would steer me in the right direction. That comment does not help at all.

No need to be rude.

We have different definitions of the word.

I was just starting to research a breaker and thought if I showed you something and you would steer me in the right direction. That comment does not help at all.

I already gave you guidance:

400A breakers are harder to find and a lot more expensive. Few have a suitable AIC rating equivalent to Type-T fuses.

A $25 breaker on ebay fits none of the 3 criteria above.

You came back with:

Cheaper than the Class-T fuse
Something easy to find on ebay
No Type-T equivalent AIC rating (No voltage rating either)

So basically, you ignored everything I said and came back with "what about this?" I'M the rude one?

It's people like you that make me question the time spent here.

Good luck.

Unsubbed.

No need to be rude. I was just starting to research a breaker and thought if I showed you something and you would steer me in the right direction. That comment does not help at all.
I agree with the waffle man's assessment of that breaker.
I don't know any quality breakers that are rated past ~200 amps and that breaker isn't quality at any ampacity.
To use 4/0 welding cable with that class t fuse and holder you should use a ferrule.
Put the wire in the ferrule and let the mechanical lug deform the ferrule to get a good connection.
Tighten the mechanical lug down good and tight.
Re-tighten the lug after a few days to make sure its still tight.

Realistically for 2 of those inverters you should have 2 4/0 wires in parallel each with a 400 amp fuse.
For 12 volts its not essential that they are class t.
ANL is likely fine.
Even more fine if your batteries are lead acid.

We have different definitions of the word.

I already gave you guidance:

A $25 breaker on ebay fits none of the 3 criteria above.

You came back with:

Cheaper than the Class-T fuse
Something easy to find on ebay
No Type-T equivalent AIC rating (No voltage rating either)

So basically, you ignored everything I said and came back with "what about this?" I'M the rude one?

It's people like you that make me question the time spent here.

Good luck.

Unsubbed.
This is a common issue I find in forums. If you are trying to learn something and ask the wrong question you are suddenly treated poorly. How am I supposed to learn if all my questions are not perfect? When I ran my own business and forum in a completely different topic, I never treated anyone like that. No loss that he unsubbed.

I agree with the waffle man's assessment of that breaker.
I don't know any quality breakers that are rated past ~200 amps and that breaker isn't quality at any ampacity.
To use 4/0 welding cable with that class t fuse and holder you should use a ferrule.
Put the wire in the ferrule and let the mechanical lug deform the ferrule to get a good connection.
Tighten the mechanical lug down good and tight.
Re-tighten the lug after a few days to make sure its still tight.

Realistically for 2 of those inverters you should have 2 4/0 wires in parallel each with a 400 amp fuse.
For 12 volts its not essential that they are class t.
ANL is likely fine.
Even more fine if your batteries are lead acid.
Thank you. That does make sense. So split the cable from the batteries on a bus bar to two 400 amp fuses, one to each inverter. Each connected using ferrules on each connection. I’ll have to research ANL fuses.

Thank you, I was hoping someone would show me something similar but more suitable. I guess I understand now that is not possible.

Gary

If it says it's for car audio, then there is a very high chance that it is not suitable for what we're doing here on this forum.

I am trying to wrap my head around how to wire this now. Currently my 4/0 cable comes off the batteries, through a switch, then the t-fuse and to a busbar. On that busbar, two cables come off and one goes to each inverter. Also on that busbar is a cable that connects to the original 12v system in my RV . My RV is a 45 ft class A coach with slideouts, hydraulic jacks, furnace etc. all on 12v. So one fuse was easy. Now it seems a bit challenging.

The original 12v system was not connected to the original batteries with a fuse. So maybe that part could become unfused and just the two 400 amp fuses going to the inverters should work. The changes required sound a lot easier to rewire than it will be considering where the wires run now. Back to the drawing board…

Thank you. That does make sense. So split the cable from the batteries on a bus bar to two 400 amp fuses, one to each inverter. Each connected using ferrules on each connection. I’ll have to research ANL fuses.
The fuses should be as close to the battery positive as possible.
With ANL fuses you should use compression lugs not mechanical lugs, especially with that much current.

For 8 batteries at that current you should be using either posts or busbars as described on page 18 of https://www.invertersupply.com/media/data/Go-Power_SPC_FBL_vB.pdf

Blue Sea Systems makes a Class T fuse holder that you would put a cable lug on. Go Power makes one like that also, but I haven't looked for it. The cable lug interface solves your problem, if the fuse holder/welding wire connection was the problem.

I don't know any quality breakers that are rated past ~200 amps
EATON HEINEMANN 250 amp GJ series breaker. A Canadian company. Very old school and very industrial quality. Maybe one each per inverter to bussbar and a seperate similar breaker for the Coach 12 volt system. The only thing lacking is the "cheap" part.

Blue Sea Systems makes a Class T fuse holder that you would put a cable lug on. Go Power makes one like that also, but I haven't looked for it. The cable lug interface solves your problem, if the fuse holder/welding wire connection was the problem.
I will look for that. I assume you mean I could still use one 400 amp t-fuse if it was a cable lug connection. this would simplify the rewiring.

Back