diy solar

diy solar

I love the Learning, but, SO Many Questions?

PeteW

I have so many questions, where to begin?

I’m doing my best to research and learn this stuff on my own, but as I’m sure many of you will agree, it’s a lot to track down and absorb. I'm super thankful for this forum and all of you.

A little about me. I’m an older DIYer who loves learning and challenging himself. I’m a former business owner and general contractor. My business involved Water Damage and Mold Issue restoration. I have extensive single phase AC electrical experience (120V and 240V), but limited 12V experience, limited to RVing. I do believe in safety above all else and I'm always open to advice. My wife and I are avid RVers, but currently I’m rebuilding our 1992 29’ Airstream. Among other things my intention is to add 800Watts of solar to the roof and a 24V, 310 AH battery bank. I'm still undecided about 2K or 3K inverter, but certain I want it to be a hybrid.

Here are several of my questions. I understand that this is a lot of questions. I’ll appreciate any answers to any of these questions. Thanks in advance.

1. What equipment should I invest in to do cell capacity tests, bottom balancing and top balancing and charging? (dependable resource suggestions welcomed)
  2. Is there recommended reading on LiFePO4 batteries and cells? (I’ve watched videos, read wikipedia, etc., but looking for good sources)
  3. I’m also looking for good reading material on BMSs? (I understand their functions, but I would like to have a better understanding, such as, is a 100A BMS limited to working on a 100AH battery or less?, Would a 100A BMS work on a 310AH battery?)
  4. What’s your experience with the OverKill BMS.
  5. Does anyone have any experience with the 3.2V 310AH LFP cells?
  6. Do you have any experience using Will’s recommended sources on AliExpress?
  7. Using Will’s recommended sources on AliExpress, etc. What are normal shipping times like?

Last edited:
Dear @PeteW thanks for posting

I’m learning too. Please season my answers with grain of salt.

1. Need capacity tester and charger. The resources section has a good one about top balancing conceptually and practically. CBA IV tester good capacity tester (i have one) be sure to check power rating. RC car battery chargers can be pretty good deal.
  2. Nordkyn design has a blog with lots of info like that, perhaps that is a good spot to check
  3. Not sure best reading material but yes 100 Ampere rated BMS can absolutely work with >100 Ampere hour battery. The units are distinct. Read about C rate charging and discharging. Big Ampere Hour battery 1C can overwhelm a BMS.
  4. Extremely good. I use the bluetooth unit and phone together to change the settings and it never heats up with the low current I run through it (120A BMS 50A load spike). Good luck purchasing one easily right now.
  5. No experience with 310Ah 3.2V LiFePO4 cells.
  6. No experience using recommended ali express sources.
  7. No experience with this.
Cheers, and good luck with your continuing studies.

Back