diy solar

diy solar

I made big sparks! :O

BroomJM

So, I have my 60280 cells configured in an 8S, 24v arrangement. Long story short...I created a short...for a short period of time. It arced quite spectacularly, but I quickly broke the connection. I tested the individual cell voltages (3.3v) and the full pack voltage (26.4) and both were still fine. Is it likely that I have damaged one, or both, of the cells where the arc occurred? Will I not know for sure until I put it under load?

Is it likely that I have damaged one, or both, of the cells where the arc occurred? Will I not know for sure until I put it under load?
You are probably OK, but yes, you can't be sure till they are capacity tested.

It's cool to have THE MAN respond to my post, and very reassuring to know even he has made this mistake.

I now have the BMS wired up. I tested each lead on the BMS, ensuring it was adding ~3.5 volts with each successive tab on the cable end before I plugged it in. I then ran the B- wire to the first cell negative on the 8S pack, ran the C- (P-?) to one side of an XT90 connector and another wire from the main positive post of the battery to the other side of the XT90. I have 24 (26.4) volts at the connector, but when I hook up my benchtop charger, set to 26 volts, it's not putting in any amps. Do I need to increase the voltage, because the pack is already at 26.4 volts?

(It wasn't until I wrote out that question that I realized how dumb that sounds...)

I turned up the voltage on my benchtop charger and it started delivering 8 amps at 27.5 volts. The max I could get, with both dials turned up all the way, was 27.0 volts and 10 amps. Given that this is a 55AH battery, and I think it's mostly charged, it wouldn't take long to top off at that level, but I'm worried about the individual cell voltages. 27 divided by 8 is only 3.375 and I'd like to charge each cell to around 3.55 volts. I guess I'll have to wait until my dedicated 24v charger gets here. :)

Thanks for all of the help you provided through great instructional videos.

Back