diy solar

diy solar

I make battery cables

matt2006

DIY Solar since 2016
I help a lot with off grid installations and I don't have time to wait for battery cables.

I've been keeping all sizes of welding cable in stock.

So I can make any size cable/length you may basically need.
From 10 AWG to 4/0 AWG all 100% copper.
Lugs of different sizes and heatshrink;
Standards 5/16", 1/4" or 3/8"

If you'd rather I make cables for you and save the worry, send me a message I can quote prices very fast including shipping into the USA only.

That is great. Let me know when you have quality marine grade cable in stock.

2 AWG cables with 5/16" lugs

Attachments

• 2 awg cables full.jpg
    2 awg cables full.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 41
  • cropped 2 awg cables.jpg
    cropped 2 awg cables.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 41
I was asking if the cable was tinned copper fine strand wire.
Does the wire itself need to be tinned, even in a marine environment, given the tinned lug and the water proof heat shrink added to both ends? With everything sealed like that it seems that there shouldn't be a need. But I have no experience with this in a marine environment (which is why I ask).

There is no hard ABYC requirement for tinned wire but I have used it to replace a bunch of wire in my boat that was not tinned and had green conductor for 3-4 inches into the insulation.

There is no hard ABYC requirement for tinned wire but I have used it to replace a bunch of wire in my boat that was not tinned and had green conductor for 3-4 inches into the insulation.
Did these wires have good quality waterproof heat shrink covering the lugs and wire ends? If so, that's surprising.

I have been doing a bunch of reading on the tinned vs bare copper for ABCY and was surprised to find that they do not require the tinned wire. sealed terminals meet their standard. That will open up some more options. I have been using tinned wire with waterproof sealed terminals so double covered.

Did these wires have good quality waterproof heat shrink covering the lugs and wire ends? If so, that's surprising.
I don’t do saltwater. But in NH and VT we have salted winter roads (nasty!) and being that I’m rural, calcium chloride on the dirt roads in summer.

All my life it’s been a lesson in green creeping crud with wiring.

Heat shrink doesn’t always stop the green copper crud which then swells and more moisture gets in and then freezing weather? Ya, ABYC might not call for tinned but I’m a fan.

Nevertheless, all my battery cables are welding cable and not tinned. A lot of my 12VDC distribution wire is tinned however.

If someone’s paying me to install stuff almost always I’m using tinned in boats or RVs.

Back