diy solar

diy solar

I maybe the dumbest person I know

In a second, a power supply applied to lithium cells probably wouldn't damage them. The cells would damage the supply if backwards.
I think resistance through incorrectly biased transistors and capacitors would be high enough the cells wouldn't see a direct short, rather would deliver a tolerable couple hundred amps at most.

New supply connected correctly, if it charged cells higher than 3.6V and stayed for days, that would cause damage.
If only applying 3.3V indefinitely, shouldn't be any damage. Still 3.3V would indicate hasn't hit knee of curve.
"Swelled" - as has been asked, swelled how much? Some swelling reportedly occurs during charging.
People often clamp to prevent slight welling, because vendors indicate that extends life.

How much current was flowing during charging?
What voltage was supply set to?
5 amps...3.65 volts

The BMS should function to disconnect charging of a series-connected pack, if any cell goes over-voltage.
With the pack assembled, your supply could deliver 6A at 12 to 14V or so, which charges 4x faster than in parallel.
Once the first cell reaches 3.65V or whatever target, you can top each cell individually or all four in parallel.

Almost no chance the reverse polarity damaged cells. Dead short might, but the power supply would have had too much resistance to carry excessive (for the cells) current.

How is the battery doing now?

Back