diy solar

diy solar

I might give up on LiFePo4

Ouch, a Kilovault 48V system would weigh 507 pounds total. I thought my Trojans were heavy at 378 pounds total.
Yes, I think the Kilovac are aimed at the stationary market. Victron are smaller and aimed at the marine market. They might not have the Ah you need.

I had Outback Power Nano-Carbon. They don't make it anymore. About the same cost as AGM $250 gc31.
More tolerant of Partial State of Charge. Found out it does not charge at float. At least it did not need a custom charge profile.

I'm in the Houston area so get lots of sun. The system was originally built for summer hurricane grid-down and I never expected this kind of cold weather. During the previous mid-40sF cold spell, in bright sun, I measured a peak 400W from the 400W panels.

Additionally I supplement the solar panels with the wall charger. The rolling blackouts were around 10 hours off and 16 hours on which gave me ample time to recharge. Running the usual lights, TV and computers would normally draw around 1000W, and cycling the furnace was around 2000W. With the combination of wall charging and solar panels the FLA easily lasted the required 10 hours. Mission accomplished.

Wouldn’t the BMS's on the Battle Born’s shutoff at 8F? Regardless four in series would not give me the needed 130+A to accelerate the cart.

Yeah, that all makes sense. Just wonder what would happen if you had a 10 hour blackout from the beginning of the evening where solar couldn't do anything, completely reliant on battery (full at start), and with reduced capacity from cold.

Not sure about the BMS on Battle Borns, I was talking about a DIY lifepo4 pack where you'd provide your own cells and BMS and still come in at under half the total cost of four battleborns (like 16 272/280ah cells and a 200a BMS). One of the smart BMS units that you can define your own charge and discharge temp limits. Have read that discharging is OK below freezing but not going wild. Not sure where the line is on that, if 0.5c is ok at (some temp nearing 0*F) or 0.25, or less, or more?

Talk to Michael on this forum. Lots of people had good luck through him.
What he said. I recently finished getting a very large 24-volt pack in service built from 24 272 Amp-hour cells purchased through Michael. . There was a LOT to learn, and the DIY route takes time, but the cost was amazingly reasonable, and the result has been great.

Your site lists no prices. ?

And the post got deleted. Also the member.

It appears to have legitimately been Lifelinebatteries, which like SunXtender AGM that I use, is part of Concorde Battery

Too bad he was summarily deleted, rather than being informed he ought to post in Corporate Corner.

They don't appear to sell retail, but by Googling the part number you'll find retailers, for example:

That one is 100 Ah, 12V, $924.99

Back