diy solar

diy solar

I might have screwed up. Newb question on using what I bought.

Visionguild

So I've been watching Will's channel a bunch, looking to build a 48v system with Lipo batteries and I kind of impulsively bought the Growatt 3000LVM all in one inverters after watching his video. Bought 2 to run in split phase for a 6kw system. I also bought 4 100ah 12v SOK batteries after seeing another of Will's videos on them. What can I say, his videos work. Lol!! Anyways, the panels I have are 315watt, 9.5amp panels. I have 6 of them. These I bought awhile ago from a local store here.
Can I use these panels with the two Growatts? I saw a post in the beginners section in here that made me doubt I can. I'm kind of feeling like I might have jumped in the deep end here and may be in over my head. The place I got the panels from will let me build out a board at their shop, they have all the breaker boxes, fuses, wires etc. So I can get some help from them, but they won't touch the Growatt themselves due to liability issues, etc.
I'm wondering if, with the parts I have, maybe the Growatt's weren't the greatest route, or maybe I should have waited for these newer 48v batteries that Will recently mentioned he's going to review soon. I want to power my Tesla as well and some other things. I'm totally off grid.
Should I buy more SOK's and plow ahead or am I just adding to my mistakes. So much to learn. Geez.
Thanks for taking the time to read all that. Stoked this forum is here.

Yes you can
So I've been watching Will's channel a bunch, looking to build a 48v system with Lipo batteries and I kind of impulsively bought the Growatt 3000LVM all in one inverters after watching his video. Bought 2 to run in split phase for a 6kw system. I also bought 4 100ah 12v SOK batteries after seeing another of Will's videos on them. What can I say, his videos work. Lol!! Anyways, the panels I have are 315watt, 9.5amp panels. I have 6 of them. These I bought awhile ago from a local store here.
Can I use these panels with the two Growatts? I saw a post in the beginners section in here that made me doubt I can. I'm kind of feeling like I might have jumped in the deep end here and may be in over my head. The place I got the panels from will let me build out a board at their shop, they have all the breaker boxes, fuses, wires etc. So I can get some help from them, but they won't touch the Growatt themselves due to liability issues, etc.
I'm wondering if, with the parts I have, maybe the Growatt's weren't the greatest route, or maybe I should have waited for these newer 48v batteries that Will recently mentioned he's going to review soon. I want to power my Tesla as well and some other things. I'm totally off grid.
Should I buy more SOK's and plow ahead or am I just adding to my mistakes. So much to learn. Geez.
Thanks for taking the time to read all that. Stoked this forum is here.

The SOKs will get you moving and will run the system. However I recommend a 48v battery as a single unit over the 4x 12v or 2x 24v. So if spending money consider going right to a 48v battery for expansion.

Not sure about the solar connection but I would be thinking three panels in series connected to each inverter.

The SOKs will get you moving and will run the system. However I recommend a 48v battery as a single unit over the 4x 12v or 2x 24v. So if spending money consider going right to a 48v battery for expansion.

Not sure about the solar connection but I would be thinking three panels in series connected to each inverter.
Thank you! So I think the Growatt's controller is an 80amp max. Does that seem right? I'm trying to find out where I saw that. The manual that comes with it doesn't seem to have that bit of info. I think Will mentions it. Total open circuit voltage max for panels is 250V. These panels have a Voc of 41v and a Vmp of 33. 9.5amps. So If I wire them 3 in series to each, then I'm sending them 120Voc at 9.5 amps, is that correct? I'm trying to learn more on panels right now online. Reading the stuff in the beginners section.

Yes I believe you are on the correct path. Get it connected for an initial proof of concept.
Then you can contemplate best method of expansion of the battery and-or the solar.

You can make a 48V battery from the 4 SOK 12V 100Ah batteries. But you need to do it correctly. Start by getting a LiFePO4 friendly (not LiPo) 12V battery charger. Charge each of the four batteries, one at a time, to full. Then wire up the four batteries in parallel (this will still be 12V). Then connect the charger to the set of batteries. Put the positive charger cable on the positive terminal of the first battery and put the negative charger cable on the negative terminal of the last battery. Do not connect the both charger cables to the same battery. Fully charge the whole battery bank together. When the charger is done, disconnect the charger but leave the batteries connected in parallel overnight. In the morning you can disconnect the four batteries from each other and they are now ready to be connected in series. The whole point of these steps is to get all four batteries at the exact same SOC (state of charge) before connecting them in series.

You can make a 48V battery from the 4 SOK 12V 100Ah batteries. But you need to do it correctly. Start by getting a LiFePO4 friendly (not LiPo) 12V battery charger. Charge each of the four batteries, one at a time, to full. Then wire up the four batteries in parallel (this will still be 12V). Then connect the charger to the set of batteries. Put the positive charger cable on the positive terminal of the first battery and put the negative charger cable on the negative terminal of the last battery. Do not connect the both charger cables to the same battery. Fully charge the whole battery bank together. When the charger is done, disconnect the charger but leave the batteries connected in parallel overnight. In the morning you can disconnect the four batteries from each other and they are now ready to be connected in series. The whole point of these steps is to get all four batteries at the exact same SOC (state of charge) before connecting them in series.
Thank you. This is really helpful. Is this called balancing? I've been doing a bunch of research today and with the panels I have, (315w/33vmp/9.5amp six total) and the 4 SOK batteries, I probably am better off only using one of the Growatts instead of linking them as the amount of panels isn't enough to provide the minimum voltage they each want. 120-250v. I have six that I can wire in 3series 2parrallel for a Vmp of just 129v/20amp if I was getting the full 33v out of them. Seems I should either get more panels now or just use 4 of them in series for 164vmp/9.5amp on one. Is my logic sound or am I missing something in this? Thanks again.

Thank you! So I think the Growatt's controller is an 80amp max. Does that seem right? I'm trying to find out where I saw that. The manual that comes with it doesn't seem to have that bit of info. I think Will mentions it. Total open circuit voltage max for panels is 250V. These panels have a Voc of 41v and a Vmp of 33. 9.5amps. So If I wire them 3 in series to each, then I'm sending them 120Voc at 9.5 amps, is that correct? I'm trying to learn more on panels right now online. Reading the stuff in the beginners section.
Here is the sticker on my Growatt 24v lvm 3000 if this helps. 80 amp max

Attachments

• 800F8DE4-A349-437B-9C1C-DA39C4558B38.jpeg
    800F8DE4-A349-437B-9C1C-DA39C4558B38.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 4
Back