diy solar

diy solar

I need a new inverter

Texas-Mark

Solar Addict
I am looking for a new inverter. In needs to be pure sine wave, 12v, and 2000W-3000W (3000 preferably). Note; It must be 12v for my application. I know all about the current draw I would be looking at. I am mainly going this big just so that it will reliably start my AC that draws about 750-900 watts once running.

I had a 1500W unit that worked well until I blew it up by accident by dropping a washer in it that let the magic smoke out. I picked up a cheap 1500W one from Amazon, that works ok, but it weighs about 1/4 what the old workhorse did, and won't start my AC (which my old one did). I don't mind paying a little more for a quality unit, provided it actually works.

Some of my other criteria, are battery terminal bolts that are actually sized for the amount of current the unit will be pulling. That cheap 1500W unit I got has very small screw posts, not bolts like my old one had. Also the cables should not block the fan (as a lot of them seem to). I don't need a lot of bells and whistles like remote switches or displays, but if it has it, that's fine. Just not a necessity. I also don't care how loud the fans are, as it will be in a shed. Keeping it cool, is more important than the noise it makes.

Has technology really come along that much or is all this new stuff just crap. I'm mainly talking about the size/weight. It seems that all of the inverters now are really light and seem way too small for the amount of power they are supposed to provide.

May I ask what the make and model of your old 1500W inverter is?

Sorry, I don't even remember. It was one I had for over 10 years. It was not any well known brand name, but it was fairly large, heavy, and built like a tank. It had three fans on the rear. I had it mounted on a wall with the ends up and down. I was working on something else above it and a washer fell in one of the vent slots like a coin going into a slot machine. Then poof, out came the smoke as my payout. I opened it up, and all sorts of components were fried. Yeah, it was a sad day. This was a couple of months ago.

Anyway, surely someone has a decent 12v PSW inverter they can recommend.

3kw on 12v really isnt reasonable in terms of amp draw and wireing

for 3kw Id recommend a mpp/growatt. I think 48v is better than 24v at this wattage (they offer both) but mpp also makes a 2kw at 24v

Sorry, I don't even remember. It was one I had for over 10 years. It was not any well known brand name, but it was fairly large, heavy, and built like a tank. It had three fans on the rear. I had it mounted on a wall with the ends up and down. I was working on something else above it and a washer fell in one of the vent slots like a coin going into a slot machine. Then poof, out came the smoke as my payout. I opened it up, and all sorts of components were fried. Yeah, it was a sad day. This was a couple of months ago.

Anyway, surely someone has a decent 12v PSW inverter they can recommend.
It sounds like the old 1500W was Big transformer based Low Frequency inverter that can easily handle real world surge current is seconds not in millisecond like the high frequency inverter that is very light in weight.
I am running 3000W 12V (Reliable Power, paid $275, I bought the 1500W first but had to return it since it cannot handle the fridge) high frequency right now due to my 25cu ft fridge has high surge current, but once it is on it is only using about 200W to run, my other loads are computer, TV, and fan & Lights, so about 600W total, it has been running almost a year now. I am saving money for Victron 3000VA/2400W inverter (it uses large TOROID transformer and weight a lot more than my HF Inverter), it is a little over $1000.

https://gpelectric.com/products/2000-watt-industrial-pure-sine-wave-inverter/
I actually have the older version. Also have this newer "industrial" version at 1000 watts and it also works beautifully.

https://invertersrus.com/product/gopower-gpisw200012/. $640. shop around.

This has no charger, no transfer switch, and no solar input. Just an inverter. I prefer separate components.
Thanks! I am just looking for the replacement inverter that will start my 25cu ft fridge when my cheap ReliablePower craps out.

3kw on 12v really isnt reasonable in terms of amp draw and wireing

for 3kw Id recommend a mpp/growatt. I think 48v is better than 24v at this wattage (they offer both) but mpp also makes a 2kw at 24v

I already said it needed to stay 12v. And that I would not be drawing 3kw, I just wanted to be able to handle the surge of the AC starting.

i would suggest any of the magnum 2kw Low Frequency units the MS2012 and the MS2012B. either will start your AC with ease and are pretty robust. I used one for over 10 years in my camper and used it to power my AC as well as 1000 watt microwave. their MSRP is about 1800 or so but you can often find them for 1200-1400 USD. You can find them used on ebay for about 800 or so, but if you get a used one, get a good electronics shop to change the heat sensors on the board (Magnum only sells the complete board and its expensive.) the individual thermocouples are pennies on the dollar and a good shop can swap them cheaply.

You can also install a soft/easy start on your AC and then you wont' need to oversize the inverter.
And 3kW on 12v is fine (with sufficient wiring of course). I don't understand why so many people say otherwise -- all the RV manufacturers do it and I had it on my previous rig and it was fine. If you're on lithium, make sure your BMS can handle it, too.

@Texas-Mark , I'm in the same situation. I need an inverter that will work with my trailer's air conditioner and I want something reliable. I already have Victron components so it makes sense to me to go with a Victron inverter/charger. I already have a LiFePO4 charger but I won't cry one bit to see it removed. I use a lot of power tools when working on my trailer. My existing 1000 watt MSW inverter will run the sabre saw and vacuum, but not the router.

The Victron Multiplus 12/3000 is what I'm aiming for. A buddy of mine has a Victron Quattro on the way that I'll help install. That will give me a better idea of what's involved with installing and configuring a Victron inverter/charger.

I have one of these. 3KW. As an inverter, it's OK. As a PV charger, not really. Noisy.
As a generator AC charger... it's finicky, but can be made to work. Needs a 2KW - at least - inverter generator.
I've run power tools with it - for short periods - no problem.
I paid some $400 (€380) for it.

This is the wave I get from it with light load (the oscilloscope is mine). I haven't got around to check heavy load yet.

oscil.png

My GoPower 2000 watt 12v sine wave inverter starts my 13.5 BTU A/C as good or better than utility power.
I am exactly here too. I am ready to push the buy button. Did anybody else order one and get a chance to see how well it works with a 13.5K BTU A/C? I have a 10y/o Coleman Mach HP (heat pump capable).

I am going to see if i can determine surge amps running from shore power. I only know my 1200W Giandel goes into OL when i try it and thats the biggest inverter i currently own.

My "spare" Xantrex Prowatt 2000 won't start my RV air either. I think it's rated 1600 continuous....

I have the sigineer 1200W unit, and it has fantastic surge starting power. My bet is their 2000W model would easily start your AC.

My bet is their 2000W model would easily start your AC.
I just finished testing my RV A/C and it starts/surges at 25.25A AC, runs at 11.7A.

25.25A x 120V = 3030W
Conversion loss 15% = 3565W
3565W / 12.8V = 278A

Runs at 11.7A x 120 = 1404W
1404W / .85 = 1652W
1652W / 12.8 = 129A

Still thinking the 2000W GoPower would "easily start your AC" and run it for maybe 6 hours?

Back