diy solar

diy solar

I need a new inverter

I just finished testing my RV A/C and it starts/surges at 25.25A AC, runs at 11.7A.

25.25A x 120V = 3030W
Conversion loss 15% = 3565W
3565W / 12.8V = 278A

Runs at 11.7A x 120 = 1404W
1404W / .85 = 1652W
1652W / 12.8 = 129A

Still thinking the 2000W GoPower would "easily start your AC" and run it for maybe 6 hours?
I don’t know what a gopower is… I specifically said the sigineer inverter. I have their 1500W inverter charger, and it starts everything I have thrown at it so far, it is a LF transformer based inverter and it is a beast. I just went on their site, and they don’t have a 2000W model, just a 1500 and a 3000… and the 3000 is out of stock…

OP, if your old 1500W handled the AC easily, then the sigineer 1500W inverter/charger should as well.

Last edited:
I was able to start and run an RV AC unit that pulled ~1100W continuous with a Samlex PST-1500-12. I don't know the start-up surge but it was an old AC so likely obnoxious. I believe I paid less than $600 for the inverter; very happy with it's capability. Samlex makes 2000W and 3000W versions, if you want more headroom.

I have a smaller 300W Samlex inverter that runs my pool pump. The pump draws 290W continuously and the Samlex handles it fine. I do run an external cooling fan on it thought. They are on the higher end of the price spectrum which is ok as long as it does the job.

I have a smaller 300W Samlex inverter that runs my pool pump. The pump draws 290W continuously and the Samlex handles it fine. I do run an external cooling fan on it thought. They are on the higher end of the price spectrum which is ok as long as it does the job.
sorry but I feel the need to comment on this, samlex are on the upper end of high frequency inverters but they do not hold a candle against any of the upper tier low frequency inverters. for the record I have two samlex inverters in my camper, a PST300 and a 1000 watt unit that i think is a PST as well. for what he is doing a low frequency is the way to go for longevity and ability to start a heavy load.

for what he is doing a low frequency is the way to go for longevity and ability to start a heavy load.
FYI, I am the OPer and was just noting that I also have a smaller Samlex, but always considered them a bit pricey. But good info on the type of inverter that may be best.

Plus one on the sigineer low frequency series. They OEM for Aims, SunglowPower and others. I have run their 4K 24 volt in the Aims skin in a shop out back for 4 years. I ran their 6k 48 volt for three years as a UPS in the house

kinda wish I had stayed with it given all the problems I’ve had with MPP

look at this one

FYI, I am the OPer and was just noting that I also have a smaller Samlex, but always considered them a bit pricey. But good info on the type of inverter that may be best.
Oops! Sorry... I use both High frequency and low. I use the high frequency when I need clean and low to mid power say 0~1200 or so. I use a low frequency for anything above 1500 as they can handle the surge all day long. the Sigineer that some folks are recommending is a solid entry level offering from the Chinese. only issue is that if you have no one to work on it it could be an issue in the future. the upper tier LF offerings from the tier one makers all have impeccable service departments and the added bonus of instruction manuals that you can read and that don't need a degree in mandarin to decipher(not racist just their manuals suck left hind tit on 98% of what you buy from there).

Have you measured your surge and running amps with your A/C? Which A/C make/model do you have?
I'd REALLY like to buy one of the recommended 12V 1500W LF or 2000W HF inverters, especially if i can get a good fell whether its enough. I'd prefer not to need 3000W or have to go 24V if possible for this one use.

Where are your thoughts on this?

And, thanks/sorry for playing along in your thread. Hopefully I'm not detracting from your goals.

I have a sigineer 1200W I think, it might be a 1500. I can connect to various window units and confirm or deny it will start...
Have you measured your surge and running amps with your A/C? Which A/C make/model do you have?
I'd REALLY like to buy one of the recommended 12V 1500W LF or 2000W HF inverters, especially if i can get a good fell whether its enough. I'd prefer not to need 3000W or have to go 24V if possible for this one use.

Where are your thoughts on this?

And, thanks/sorry for playing along in your thread. Hopefully I'm not detracting from your goals.

Any opinions on this one? Seems decently priced, has the features I want. and has mostly good reviews.

take a look at this, its about half the price of a magnum yet the only thing I see stopping it from being perfect for you is that its about 1KW bigger than what you need. these guys make the AIMS inverters so they are not terribly bad (actually not bad at all considering the price.)

110-120 version:

120-2400 split phase version:

Any opinions on this one? Seems decently priced, has the features I want. and has mostly good reviews.

Well, I decided to just go ahead and get this one based on the price and ease of return if it did not work. I got it today and so far I am happy with it. It is pretty beefy (about the size of a large bread box) and weighs about 20lbs. The version I got has a wired remote that is fairly nice.

It started my AC without so much as a hiccup. The only possible issue is the fans came on and stayed on almost immediately when I turned it on, before I even connected a load. However, the box was baking in the sun for a bit, and it is 102 degrees in my shed. I'll check in the morning when it is cooler.

It came with a small wire (like 18 awg) with a tiny blade type connector on one end and a small alligator clip on the other end. I can't imagine using that for grounding. The manual says nothing about it except saying a ground cable is included. The two battery cables it came with are like 4 awg, but I already have my own 2/0 cables that were ready to go. It also came with some spare fuses.

I'll test it more over the coming weeks and report back if there are any issues. For now it seems like a pretty solid unit, and it filled all of my requirements.

If it came with a grounding wire, use it.
I have received some nasty shocks from unequal ground potential…

If it came with a grounding wire, use it.

Yes, I know all about grounding when needed. Just not sure if that is what this wire is actually for, where it would connect to the inverter, and if I would even trust it with just that tiny alligator clip. Wish the manual would have been better. The manual was written for a different model because the pictures don't match the actual unit. I have the V3 and I think the manual is for a V1.

wire.jpg

The one end has a strange tiny blade type connector with no corresponding place to attach it to the inverter (that I could find).
wire2.jpg

Yes, I know all about grounding when needed. Just not sure if that is what this wire is actually for, where it would connect to the inverter, and if I would even trust it with just that tiny alligator clip. Wish the manual would have been better. The manual was written for a different model because the pictures don't match the actual unit. I have the V3 and I think the manual is for a V1.

View attachment 65812
thats to hook the inverter to the nipples of your enemy.... not good for much else

View attachment 65812

The one end has a strange tiny blade type connector with no corresponding place to attach it to the inverter (that I could find).
View attachment 65815
The blade will fit into a lug, and you tighten the screw down.
It sucks they gave you one with a clip instead of an eye…

Back