diy solar

diy solar

I need an inverter like this!

WilliamC

Does anybody make one? Low frequency inverter. Rated at 6000w continuous. 24vdc or 48vdc input. 120/240 VAC split phase output. Pass through AC with transfer switch. And bonus feature no charging function. Or one that can be dialed back to zero.

Nope. You just flip the switch to select 120VAC single phase or 240VAC split phase. :)

Nope. You just flip the switch to select 120VAC single phase or 240VAC split phase.
The switch I saw referred to 120 or 230. I assume the 230 was European single phase not North American 240 split phase. It might be worth checking my assumption.
NOTE on page 22 Fig 16 it does show 240 split phase.

Last edited:
Sorry... it's 120V/240V split phase only. My neighbor has this exact unit. There are some inconsistencies with the manual.

I assume it is grid tied so if you don't need all the power of the Outback Radian the Outback Skybox was design from the ground up to be grid interactive and it is an all in one box so the cost is a lot less than the components needed for the Radian. Lots of good choices out there at various price points.

Yes. Not long. Sigineer has a good reputation. It's believed they're the manufacturer for AIMS.

Both very pricey options. Was hoping to stay at or under $1500.
If willing to accept a less substantial model with a 4000W limit, there's Schneiders Conext SW4024.
That's what I have in my workshop, and it has proven to power up all my power tools without complaint. You got to remember though that good solar isn't cheap, and cheap solar isn't good. You get what you pay for.

If willing to accept a less substantial model with a 4000W limit, there's Schneiders Conext SW4024.
That's what I have in my workshop, and it has proven to power up all my power tools without complaint. You got to remember though that good solar isn't cheap, and cheap solar isn't good. You get what you pay for.
Well the Price on this one is certainly good. The specs on the SW4024-120/240 would almost meet my loads. Continuous loads no problem. Starting load is another matter. My well pump draws 8 amps or 1920 Watts continuous. But startup is a whopping 37.31 Amps or 8954 Watts. (measured with my clamp meter MAX setting and only for less than a second). The spec sheet of the SW4024-120/240 shows a max 7000 watts for 5 seconds. Everything else looks great except that darn well pump.

Schneider XW+6848? Outback Radian GS8048?
Taking a secong look at the Outback Radian but now at the GS4048A. Price is a little higher. The specs on the GS4048A again would almost meet my loads. Continuous loads no problem. Starting load is not quite . My well pump draws 8 amps or 1920 Watts continuous. But startup is a whopping 37.31 Amps or 8954 Watts. (measured with my clamp meter MAX setting and only for less than a second). The spec sheet of the GS4048A shows a max 8500 va for 100ms. Everything else looks great except that darn well pump.

Is there a trade off between a new soft start well pump and the increment for an oversized inverter? I dont recall if you have grid?

Is there a trade off between a new soft start well pump and the increment for an oversized inverter? I dont recall if you have grid?
Do you have any experience actually pulling a pump? It is nothing to look forward to. If you have to hire a crane to come out to pull your pump, you'll likely spend far more replacing the pump then designing the inverter to power what you already have. I think you're cheapest option would be to simply get an inverter with specs that can power the load. That's what I did for my pump, and I have to say I am very happy with the results. You can get a XW 6848 for about 3100$ now. The crane might cost 5000$. I think the cheapest option that will give excellent results is the upgraded solar system that will power what you already have.

Do you have any experience actually pulling a pump?
Yes, helped a friend change out his pump. In some parts of our valley the water table is 20 feet. Obviously the depth of the well would be where the OP would start to before he began the analysis. I also asked if he had a grid connection because there are storage alternatives if he just needs the inverter for backup.

Back