diy solar

diy solar

I need help for my 23KWh ford focus electric battery bank 60V system

Faby_AZ

I was planning to build 48v 4.8KWh off grid solar system and I already bought everything for it then suddenly I got 23KWh ford focus electric batteries for free so I decided to build both, the 48v to understand lifepo4 batteries with all technologies related to it and the car batteries to do something real on it like provide light and heat for my small greenhouse in the garden or provide power to mini split.
The total number of batteries are 23, twenty of them are four cells batteries and three of them are two cells batteries so technically each full size battery is 1.069 KWh, all batteries were in good shape and the reason for replace them was liquid cooler leak, I believe the car was 2016 or 2015 because the cables that connecting the batteries were made in 2014. from the car catalogue the kind off batteries are Lithium ion-LMO (lithium ion manganese oxide) which one kind of lithium polymer battery, they were made by LG Chem. The data sheet shows the nominal voltage for cell is 3.7v maximum and minimum are 4.2V and 3V. of course I don't want to charged and discharged them to that level.
In all the videos I found in YouTube they put three 16.6v and one 8.3v in series and create 48v system, in that way 11 four cells battery will go to waste, so I decided to make the system 60v and use 16 full size batteries and keep four full size( four cells) and the three half size as spare in case some of the batteries fail.
I decided to buy swipower 60v 3200W (working range is 50V-75V) inverter for them but I will only do that if my charge controller can charge up to 64v.
My questions are
1. Can Epever 6415 charge them to 64v
2. can I use BMS for this set and be able to set the voltage to 16v instead of 16.8v and also set lower voltage if not its ok because they are very balanced.
3. which is the best way to put them in parallel 1. four sets of four batteries in series the connect the ends in parallel or 2. four sets of four parallel batteries and connect them in series.
4. the batteries were compressed very well and when I took the first six full size and one half size I noticed they expanded as you can see in the picture because in the original design the container box is not one piece. Anyway I decided to not take the rest individually but keep them compressed as you can see in the pictures one set is six series batteries, another three and half and the last five and half. will the loosen ones cause issues to me with different capacity behave or not and of course I will compress them a bit but I cannot make them like they were
5. What is the best range of voltage to use since I have more capacity than I need, the top I am thinking of 16v ( 4v per cell), but the low point I really don't know, if I don't set it it will be 3.15v that inverter will shut down.

I appreciate any advice

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ford.PNG
    ford.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 21
I'm thinking of utilizing a focus battery pack for solar too.
Would it be possible for you to share a few more pictures of your pack?
I'm interested in how each module is built and the connection between each cell

Back