diy solar

diy solar

I need help with charge controller setting for LTO

Tmadsen

I have an off grid cabin that uses solar power and I am upgrading to LTO batteries. LTO is a best choice for my cabin. I am seeking some advice on what settings to use on my charge controller as i am very new to LTO and i have not yet been able to feel confident about my settings. I have not yet upgraded and installed the LTO cells but here is what i plan to do.... 24v system. my inverter will operate at 18-32 volts. installing 72 yinlong 40ah cells in 12s6p configuration. I have a Daly LTO 12s 200a 4th gen. BMS (2.65v power balancing). I currently have a 600watt array (with ability to add more). My charge controller is a Renogy commander 60a .

my charge controller has a user select setting available (since it does not have predefined LTO settings) and these are the adjustable parameters....

high voltage disconnect
charging limit voltage
over voltage reconnect
equalization voltage
boost voltage
float voltage
boost return voltage
low voltage reconnect
under voltage recover
under voltage warning
low voltage disconnect
discharge limit voltage

the above parameters can be set at 9v-17v ( x 2 for my 24 volt system)

equalization duration ( 0-180 minutes)
boost duration (10-180 minutes)

i am looking for advice on what to use and maybe some reasoning why. I do not need to have use of 100% battery capacity, I would prefer to have access to less capacity in exchange for better care and condition of the batteries.

thank you in advance

I have an off grid cabin that uses solar power and I am upgrading to LTO batteries. LTO is a best choice for my cabin. I am seeking some advice on what settings to use on my charge controller as i am very new to LTO and i have not yet been able to feel confident about my settings. I have not yet upgraded and installed the LTO cells but here is what i plan to do.... 24v system. my inverter will operate at 18-32 volts. installing 72 yinlong 40ah cells in 12s6p configuration. I have a Daly LTO 12s 200a 4th gen. BMS (2.65v power balancing). I currently have a 600watt array (with ability to add more). My charge controller is a Renogy commander 60a .

my charge controller has a user select setting available (since it does not have predefined LTO settings) and these are the adjustable parameters....

high voltage disconnect
charging limit voltage
over voltage reconnect
equalization voltage
boost voltage
float voltage
boost return voltage
low voltage reconnect
under voltage recover
under voltage warning
low voltage disconnect
discharge limit voltage

the above parameters can be set at 9v-17v ( x 2 for my 24 volt system)

equalization duration ( 0-180 minutes)
boost duration (10-180 minutes)

i am looking for advice on what to use and maybe some reasoning why. I do not need to have use of 100% battery capacity, I would prefer to have access to less capacity in exchange for better care and condition of the batteries.

thank you in advance
Hi,I have been living with a 48 volt lto bank that I built ,for the last 12 months.(First post)
I bought the 40ahr Yinlong cells from a bloke here in Australia that had imported a large batch ,I believe from OSN Power.

To give you some basic outline,I have 6kw of panels,2 x 60 amp controllers and 12kwh bank-22s6p in configuration.

I don't run a bms,just a jk 5amp active balancer,set to cut in at 2.4 volts.

The settings I have been running are : bulk: 57.6 v (2.61v per cell)
Float: 56.4 v (2.56 v per cell)

Originally,the settings were higher,as recommended to me but the first half a dozen cycles,(when I was only useing 3 kw of panels), I noticed the cells were running away a little at the top of the charge so backed it off to the current settings.

My absorb time is 5 mins,no equalize.
I keep the settings fairly simple.
You'll have to adapt things to suit your individual controller.

My system has run perfectly with no issues.

I would point you to a good post on this same thread topic where a guy advocates not going over 2.5 volts per cell for a long life, I'm learning as I go so can't say which is the right one though,I never come close to using my capacity so will probably drop it down for an extra margin of longevity.

I can say though,that after living the last 10 years with a 12 volt,agm system and propane fridge- that these things are great.
I would have been happy with lithium phosphate but like what I had read about durability and not needing to use a bms,though I plan to put in some form of relay cutout on the panen in feed in the case of pack over voltage,in lieu of a bms.

Hope this helps. Would recommend reading that other post here.
Regards - Andy.

Hi,I have been living with a 48 volt lto bank that I built ,for the last 12 months.(First post)
I bought the 40ahr Yinlong cells from a bloke here in Australia that had imported a large batch ,I believe from OSN Power.

To give you some basic outline,I have 6kw of panels,2 x 60 amp controllers and 12kwh bank-22s6p in configuration.

I don't run a bms,just a jk 5amp active balancer,set to cut in at 2.4 volts.

The settings I have been running are : bulk: 57.6 v (2.61v per cell)
Float: 56.4 v (2.56 v per cell)

Originally,the settings were higher,as recommended to me but the first half a dozen cycles,(when I was only useing 3 kw of panels), I noticed the cells were running away a little at the top of the charge so backed it off to the current settings.

My absorb time is 5 mins,no equalize.
I keep the settings fairly simple.
You'll have to adapt things to suit your individual controller.

My system has run perfectly with no issues.

I would point you to a good post on this same thread topic where a guy advocates not going over 2.5 volts per cell for a long life, I'm learning as I go so can't say which is the right one though,I never come close to using my capacity so will probably drop it down for an extra margin of longevity.

I can say though,that after living the last 10 years with a 12 volt,agm system and propane fridge- that these things are great.
I would have been happy with lithium phosphate but like what I had read about durability and not needing to use a bms,though I plan to put in some form of relay cutout on the panen in feed in the case of pack over voltage,in lieu of a bms.

Hope this helps. Would recommend reading that other post here.
Regards - Andy.
Andy, thank you for the info.

My 12V(15V) LTO setup using epever MPPT running without BMS as following:

Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage 16.2v
Charging Limit Voltage 15.6v
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage 15.6v
Boost Charging Voltage 15.42v (absorption)
Float Charging Voltage 15.42v
Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage 13.2v
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage 12.8v
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage 12.2v
Under Voltage Warning Voltage 11.8v
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage 11.4v
Discharging Limit Voltage 10.8v
Equalize Duration 0
Boost Duration 120 min

My 12V(15V) LTO setup using epever MPPT running without BMS as following:

Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage 16.2v
Charging Limit Voltage 15.6v
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage 15.6v
Boost Charging Voltage 15.42v (absorption)
Float Charging Voltage 15.42v
Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage 13.2v
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage 12.8v
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage 12.2v
Under Voltage Warning Voltage 11.8v
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage 11.4v
Discharging Limit Voltage 10.8v
Equalize Duration 0
Boost Duration 120 min
wow thank you for sharing, how long have you been using these setting ? any problems ? how many cells are you using ?

Back