diy solar

diy solar

I need (want) more!

bjfields

I have 3 x 100 watt panels creating 54 volts at 4.2 amps into my epever 3210an cc. I'd like to get a Rich solar 200 watt panel (20.4v, 9.8a) to add in. For series, I would expect 74.4v. What happens with the current? My cc should handle that, right?

I have 3 x 100 watt panels creating 54 volts at 4.2 amps into my epever 3210an cc. I'd like to get a Rich solar 200 watt panel (20.4v, 9.8a) to add in. For series, I would expect 74.4v. What happens with the current? My cc should handle that, right?
As I understand it, if you mix different voltages and ampere ratings, you’ll only get as much amp output as the lowest rating supports. However, if you parallel 2x 100 watt, and connect that in series with the 1x 200 watt, you’ll lose very little. That still leaves you with an extra 100w panel. I’m not certain wiring your array like this is the greatest idea, though. I suggest just getting larger matching panels unless your available space or other constraints prohibit this.

Yeah, the original plan was to put up 1 more 100 watt panel. There's room for a 200 watt panel so I was just thinking...

You would end up making more (or maybe the same) power with 1 more 100watt panel than with the added 200 watt panel.

Here‘s an article with some math.

Not all 100 watt panes are the same. Some are 18 volts and 6 amps, others are 33 volts and 3 amps. Even an 18 volt and a 22 volt panel can Mae a difference.

I am not sure where you are located but you can get 2 x 250w panels for $100. There are similar
deals on craigslist.

Maybe its easier and cheaper to just put 2 big cheap panels on instead of a bunch of little ones.

Back