diy solar

diy solar

I think I've been scammed!!

sammy29626

Hi all,

Unfortunately I think I've been scammed on AliExpress.

I currently have 4x100 solar panels on my van.

I recently have seen that I can fit 4x150w solar panels in the same footprint.

So I purchased 4x150w solar panels from AliExpress.

The panels have arrived but they are identical to my 4x100w panels.

They are the same 4x9 cell array and exactly the same size!!

Have I just been scammed of €550??

Please help!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220730_002231.jpg
    IMG_20220730_002231.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 11
Hi all,

Please help!
Thanks
Is there a label on the back of the panel with specifications?
Volts amps etc?
If so, can you post a photo of it here?

Same sized panels = same output. The differnce betwwen a 18% efficiency panel and a 22% efficiency panel is not that huge. So yes it is a scam. Many offbrand sellers in the US through places like EBay. The worst I saw was a 30 watt panel labeled as a 300 watt panel.

Measuring watts per square inch, output should be fairly close, not a 30% difference.

I can only recommend using these new panels as a portable setup. You’d be pleasantly surprised at the additional power it gives you.

Hi all,

Please help!
Thanks
Is €550 a good price for four 150W panels?

Could the look the same as the 100w panels but actually be 150w panels .....or am I clutching at straws???

You could connect the panels and measure output and record the panel temps to verify actual output.
I'll try that tomorrow in cloudy Ireland!

Is there anyway I can do it with just a meter? Or will I have to connect it all to my charge controller and a load?

Damn....I guess I'm screwed....will try to get money back from the credit card company....FML.
Since the other company probably won't respond, at least you would get to keep the panels probably.

edit.. unless payment went through Alibaba.. if so, I guess they would probaby respond to the claim. It would be interesting to see them defend against the false merchandise claim though.

Suspiciously there is very little on the back!
Do you know how to use a multimeter (if you have one)?
Set it to amps and measure the short circuit current, so the during the most sunny part of the day while aiming the panel directly to the sun (smallest possible shadow on the ground). Make sure your fingers are not shading the panel.
Compare that reading with one of the 100 watt panels on your RV and compare the readings.
Maybe post your readings and a photo of the label of your 100 watt panel?

Do you know how to use a multimeter (if you have one)?
Set it to amps and measure the short circuit current, so the during the most sunny part of the day while aiming the panel directly to the sun (smallest possible shadow on the ground). Make sure your fingers are not shading the panel.
Compare that reading with one of the 100 watt panels on your RV and compare the readings.
Maybe post your readings and a photo of the label of your 100 watt panel?
Thanks, yes I'm reasonably competent with a multimeter and have a few. I'll try to do a side by side.......the chances of any sun on this ridiculous island a slim tho!!

I'll try that tomorrow in cloudy Ireland!

Is there anyway I can do it with just a meter? Or will I have to connect it all to my charge controller and a load?
It will be best to have full sun, and a cool panel connected to a controller charging a low state of charge battery, so you can measure actual output.
Just measuring voltage, and short circuit amps will only tell you approximations… but it can be compared to the 100W numbers,,,

In terms of testing a short circuit amp load, should I just connect the positive and negative of the panel together and then just use my clamp meter to read the dc amps?

In terms of testing a short circuit amp load, should I just connect the positive and negative of the panel together and then just use my clamp meter to read the dc amps?
Yep, use your meter to make the short circuit. you have to use the 10 amp cable input and don't forget to put it back to the normal "red" input afterwards otherwise the next time you would like to measure voltage you will trip a breaker (hopefully :) )
This is just an indication, but if you could do the same with a "known" panel within 30 seconds you could see if the new panels are more/same/less
Like others suggested, best thing would be to hook 1 panel to a mppt charge controller and see how many watts you get from it (and again compare that with your known 100 watt panel).
I think it will be roughly the same, and could be a chinese marketing scam job ;-)

Yep
This is just an indication, but if you could do the same with a "known" panel within 30 seconds you could see if the new panels are more/same/less
Like others suggested, best thing would be to hook 1 panel to a mppt charge controller and see how many watts you get from it (and again compare that with your known 100 watt panel).
I think it will be roughly the same, and could be a chinese marketing scam job ;-)
I'm 90% sure I've been scammed.

But my plan tomorrow is to have 1 of the new panels beside one of the known good 100w panels, I'll short them both out and use my clamp meter to test amps on both fairly rapidly, if their very similar....I guess I'm 100% scammed!!

Back