diy solar

diy solar

I think I've been scammed!!

You got what you got and be glad for that. Set them up as portables for a total of 800 watts.
If I'd paid for 800w I would be happy. The case in point problem is that I paid for 1000w.

Which is exacerbated by the fact that I can only use the set amount I paid for on my mobile roof......the extra is generally useless to me

If I'd paid for 800w I would be happy. The case in point problem is that I paid for 1000w.

Which is exacerbated by the fact that I can only use the set amount I paid for on my mobile roof......the extra is generally useless to me
They are the future replacements of your current panels, when they break down in 20 years.

Seems odd to expect 50% more power on the same footprint. Technology is improving but not that fast.

Just be glad you got something. Many just get a fake tracking number.

You can do a test with a multimeter (if it can handle the amperage) by hooking the meter up to test DC current. There are several videos on the net that show exactly how this is done. Just be aware that this will not give you a valid test for wattage.

The big issue as people have pointed out is the lack of ratings label. Not knowing the volts and amps makes it hard to decide how to connect panels. As to the size of panels for a certain wattage. Depending on the cell efficiencies and whether mono or poly the size can be quite different.

I bought a couple of new panels this year that were consierbly smaller than my old ones but had the same watt rating (voltage and amperage ratings however were not the same).

Last edited:
You can do a test with a multimeter (if it can handle the amperage) by hooking the meter up to test DC current. There are several videos on the net that show exactly how this is done. Just be aware that this will not give you a valid test for wattage.

The big issue as people have pointed out is the lack of ratings label. Not knowing the volts and amps makes it hard to decide how to connect panels. As to the size of panels for a certain wattage. Depending on the cell efficiencies and whether mono or poly the size can be quite different.

I bought a couple of new panels this year that were consierbly smaller than my old ones but had the same watt rating (voltage and amperage ratings however were not the same).
Thanks, that's good info.

It's very cloudy and wet here today, but over the coming days ill plug one of my old know 100w panels into my charge controller and check wattage and then plug one of the new ones in and see if there is a difference in wattage

Well, i did a side by side wattage test with one of these panels and one of the old 100w panels. Sure enough these supposed 150w panels are not only 100w panels they actually perform worse than my existing 100w panels!! FML..... Moral of the story is never purchase from Store No. 4405048 (Solar-Panel Store) on Aliexpress!!

It will be best to have full sun, and a cool panel connected to a controller charging a low state of charge battery, so you can measure actual output.
Just measuring voltage, and short circuit amps will only tell you approximations… but it can be compared to the 100W numbers,,,
Not directly related but I am impressed with your Credentials. I will listen closely to your input. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge.

In terms of testing a short circuit amp load, should I just connect the positive and negative of the panel together and then just use my clamp meter to read the dc amps?
Yes, it is that simple. For Volts, disconnect the panel's wires and probe the separate outputs.

For comarison, do the same with one of the existing panels under the same conditions.

Wish me luck in the Aliexpress dispute!!:confused:

When there is a Aliexpress dispute about specs, it's really tough for the buyer. The skeevy vendors know the tricks. Many times, Aliexpress batteries are a lower grade and less capacity than advertised. Lately, I saw a test of super capacitors, and they only had about 2/3 the nominal capacity printed on the capacitor.

Well, i did a side by side wattage test with one of these panels and one of the old 100w panels. Sure enough these supposed 150w panels are not only 100w panels they actually perform worse than my existing 100w panels!! FML..... Moral of the story is never purchase from Store No. 4405048 (Solar-Panel Store) on Aliexpress!!
There are several panel merchants on Alie that claim rather amazing watt figures (I mentioned this concerning flexible panels in another Thread) but are vague about actual specs. At the very least if you do not see a ratings label you should avoid ordering. I also have found that merchants that are only a string of numbers ( Store no. 1234567890) or letters that do not make an acutual name are almost always scams.

Thanks for posting your results so that others can learn by it.

"I've been scammed" and "Aliexpress" in the same sentence, who would have thought it?

Honestly the first HUGE clue should have been that they're the same size as your 150's. Efficiency of solar panels varies over a very tiny range. Cheap panels are around 18 percent, the best panels are about 22 percent. There's absolutely no way they're going to get 50 percent more output from the same area, it's simply not possible with current technology.

When there is a Aliexpress dispute about specs, it's really tough for the buyer. The skeevy vendors know the tricks. Many times, Aliexpress batteries are a lower grade and less capacity than advertised. Lately, I saw a test of super capacitors, and they only had about 2/3 the nominal capacity printed on the capacitor.
If the vendor is removing the label from them, would that not help in a dispute? Unless the pictures or description showed them with no labels.

Just an update - Aliexpress sort of ruled in my favour.

They offered 2 solutions.

1. keep the panels and the seller has to give me €150
2. Send the panels back for a full €546 refund but the seller also has to pay the return shipping (about €186 from Ireland to China)

I went with option 2, don't think the seller is too happy, they haven't sent me a return address yet!!

A good result in the end, i think Aliexpress ruled in my favour as I'm what's called a 'platinum member' .....which just means i buy too much crap on Aliexpress!!

I imagine the seller will simply refund your money and skip having them sent back. I would bet they would prefer choice #1 if you had gone for it.

Good that you are getting a resolution. It does help to be a good customer of sites like Aliexpress when a problem arises. That is why I always report when I receive something from shipping that I ordered and give feedback as appropriate. I also try avoiding making complaints unless there is a serious issue.

. ..or request 'total watts' as purchased and split/cover shipping of two more panels to meet 600w.. .

Who knows, you could get two true 150w panels : )

I imagine the seller will simply refund your money and skip having them sent back. I would bet they would prefer choice #1 if you had gone for it.

Good that you are getting a resolution. It does help to be a good customer of sites like Aliexpress when a problem arises. That is why I always report when I receive something from shipping that I ordered and give feedback as appropriate. I also try avoiding making complaints unless there is a serious issue.
Yep, they messaged me this morning asking me to change to option 1!

I politely told them to 'F' off and send me a return address!

Their scam has obviously backfired and they are not very happy....I'm enjoying it somewhat!

. ..or request 'total watts' as purchased and split/cover shipping of two more panels to meet 600w.. .

Who knows, you could get two true 150w panels : )
Space is the issue unfortunately. Everything has to fit on the roof of my campervan.

Back