diy solar

diy solar

I think we overemphasize the importance of low temp cutoff in a BMS

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
Before you object, hear me out.

Low temp protection is certainly important with LiFePO4. Charging below 0* C is not smart. Charging at moderately high C-rates anywhere close to 0* C is not smart. LFP battteries are not cheap, its worth protecting this investment. And in many situations it makes perfect sense to stress low temp protection.

That said, I feel there are two issues with how we generally think about/talk about low temp cutoff.

First, we rarely acknowledge context and if we do usually only in passing. I would argue that low temp cutoff is a secondary function for a BMS and one that is not relevant for many people. Obviously there is no problem erring on the side of caution, and I personally want my BMS to be capable of low temp protection, but it should be acknowledged that low temp protection is only necessary in certain contexts. When we don't acknowledge this (even if we implicitly understand it) we potentially cause newbies to spend more than they need to for features that won't benefit them and/or rule out reasonable choices because it doesn't have a feature they might not need anyways. If our batteries live inside with us, in a climate controlled space, or in a temperate or warm climate, low temp protection is non-essential. But this is not my main point/thought.

Second, and this is my main point, we assume that it should be the BMS that protects against low temperature. I would encourage you to question that assumption. Ask yourself, where does it make the most sense to manage charging.

A common question in the beginner forum is something along the lines of "why do i need a BMS and a SCC?" or "can't my BMS handle charging / can't my SCC/inverter handle HVD/LVD?)" And my usual answer is something along the lines of a BMS and an SCC have overlapping roles and capabilities, but they serve different purposes and have different specialities/roles. The fundamental and unique role and specialization of a BMS is cell level management and protection. The fundamental role of an SCC is safely and efficiently managing charging / supplying power from the PV array. The BMS has the advantage of cell level awareness but isn't well suited to control charging beyond a very basic level, whereas the SCC lacks cell level awareness but has much more sophisticated/granular capabilities for controlling charging.

So the question is, where should the low temperature disconnect reside?
In a multi-charge-source system the answer might still be the BMS, or "the BMS and..", but in a single charge source system, I would argue that it is more sensible to locate low temp cutoff protection at the device that controls charging (the SCC). The SCC is better equipped to make more meaningful use of temperature data. At a minimum, it could do what a BMS' low temp cutoff does--disconnect when temperature hits a certain threshold--but ideally it could adjust charge rate based on temperature. As discussed above there is no hard limit or magic number for temperature/c-rate, we talk about 0*C because its a nice round number, but realistically its a gradient. Charging at a super high C-rate at 5* C is worse than charging at a trickle at -2* C. Ideally there would be no binary 'low temp cutoff', charge rate would be scaled back as temps dropped. A BMS doesn't have that level of control over charging, but an SCC might (it occured to me midway through writing this that I don't know for sure that an SCC is actually capable of this, but I think that it is possible).

What are your thoughts? Am I missing something? rambling? missing something and rambling? rambling but onto something? ;)

Last edited:
I agree charge controllers should be using temperature compensation for lithium batteries.

Good chargers ... whether Solar or AC powered .... have used temperature compensation for lead batteries for a long time. It makes sense they would also do this for lithium .... but they don't. In some cases they even use the connector for the temp probe for another purpose when lithium is selected.

Someone needs to start designing better Lithium chargers .... the RV converters are even more of a joke.

I agree charge controllers should be using temperature compensation for lithium batteries.

Good chargers ... whether Solar or AC powered .... have used temperature compensation for lead batteries for a long time. It makes sense they would also do this for lithium .... but they don't.

Do you have any clarity on whether Victron chargers do or do not, when combined with the smart battery sense (temperature sensor)?

I can see from the App that there is a user configurable low temp cutoff, and a user configurable 'temperature compensation measured in mV per degree celsius' but there is no explanation of what this does or if its applicable to lifepo4

Yeah im just starting in the BMS world, but i would put the low temperature disconnect in the lowest priority of my list (Thanks to my climate), for me its more important:

• Being able to active balance the cells with more than a few miliamps.
  • A decent case, preferably with a good heatsink. Good cables apropiate to the amps that they are supose to run.
  • A decent APP!, some of them are terrible.
  • Good documentation!

Just imagine a good price BMS with wifi conectivity and a Web server GUI, that offers data recording, everything in a nice simple interface with good English.... also an API so you can connect to your other systems to send data logging or even alarms to your email / smartphone its something is not right...

Well, maybe someday!

Last edited:
Do you have any clarity on whether Victron chargers do or do not, when combined with the smart battery sense (temperature sensor)?

I can see from the App that there is a user configurable low temp cutoff, and a user configurable 'temperature compensation measured in mV per degree celsius' but there is no explanation of what this does or if its applicable to lifepo4

Will mentions on his site that this is the cheapest way to do it. To buy a Victron MPPT with the temp sensor:

I haven't seen him test this method out nor am I sure how old this recommendation is (as perhaps he hasn't updated his site in a while).

Will mentions on his site that this is the cheapest way to do it. To buy a Victron MPPT with the temp sensor:

I haven't seen him test this method out nor am I sure how old this recommendation is (as perhaps he hasn't updated his site in a while).

He does say the Victron controller has low temp disconnect .... but that is the same as the BMS has.

I think what @Dzl is suggesting is that low temp charging is possible if it is done intelligently.

He does say the Victron controller has low temp disconnect .... but that is the same as the BMS has.

I think what @Dzl is suggesting is that low temp charging is possible if it is done intelligently.

Correct. Or more broadly, that 0*C is just a number. You can safely charge below it (at low enough C-rates) and you can cause harm charging above it (at higher C-rates). So ideally instead of a binary low temp shutoff, a charger could throttle current as temperatures drop beginning well above 0*C and possibly continuing below 0*C. It seems to me that the charge controller is the most logical place to accomplish this, and that it might be possible with current Victron hardware.

@Dzl, check out the info in the VictronConnect manual. Both subjects are covered.

Thanks this is a great resource, I didn't realize there was a manual specific to the VictronConnect App. Much appreciated.

Back