diy solar

diy solar

I want to power my 1 HP well pump that is U.S. 240v split phase from a small solar system.

I'm guessing that no-one here has ever pulled a well-pump hundreds of feet out of the ground. Statements like "just replace it with a soft-start pump" is sort of like leaning over the shoulder of a guy trying to tune his car, and telling him "why don't you just remove the engine and replace it with a new one".

It's absurd to me about how much guessing and speculation is going on here. Before I started installing a single watt of solar at my cabin, I had already determined exactly what my running and startup power needs were. To run my 1hp pump, I installed 4500W of panels, which can power the pump from about 8:30 in the morning till 4:30 in the afternoon. I'm using a Schneider split-phase 120/240V inverter. There's no way I'd ever attempt using a voltage converter on a smaller base system. Do it right, or don't do it at all! It's just too much work pulling a pump out of the ground!

Indeed, I've pulled and installed three deep well pumps from 200' plus, two were mine, one was a friends. Yes it's a chore.

Right now I use my gasoline generator to make the 240AC to run my five year old deep well pump and I loathe the noise and polluting fumes and expense of doing that.

My plan is to acquire a 240AC inverter that makes at least 4000 watts to operate my existing well pump. The inverter will of course be wired into my main breaker panel just as if it was grid power. I will also have a manual transfer switch so I can switch over and run the generator when my solar batteries are low, which would also charge batteries and run the well pump of course.

I have no plans to bring the grid to me and the only reason why I am not doing the above described now is that I have to save up money to purchase the 240 inverter and expand my PV array and battery bank to support the larger inverter and amperage demand.

Keep on truckin.

OG

I have a 240v well and I occasional have extended power outages. I want to hook up a US 120/240 split phase inverter capable of handling a starting surge of 37 amps (9000ish watts) The budget is $2000 ish for the inverter. My preference is 24vdc but can also do 48vdc. Reliability and Support is my goal.

I have a 240v well and I occasional have extended power outages. I want to hook up a US 120/240 split phase inverter capable of handling a starting surge of 37 amps (9000ish watts) The budget is $2000 ish for the inverter. My preference is 24vdc but can also do 48vdc. Reliability and Support is my goal.
Get the XW+6848. It WILL get the job done. An Outback Radian 8048 will also work. A 2000$ish inverter is not likely to accomplish that. I've seen reports of other guys installing a 4000W inverter that barely starts their pump, with lights dimming, and the inverter itself making groaning noises as it tries to take up the load. With my XW+, the hum of the inverter changing slightly is the only way I know the pump's running.

Get the XW+6848. It WILL get the job done. An Outback Radian 8048 will also work. A 2000$ish inverter is not likely to accomplish that. I've seen reports of other guys installing a 4000W inverter that barely starts their pump, with lights dimming, and the inverter itself making groaning noises as it tries to take up the load. With my XW+, the hum of the inverter changing slightly is the only way I know the pump's running.
The Outback has a great reputation. Dont think I can swing the price what with batteries and what-nots. I was really hoping the GS4048 would work but specs say it is just a tad under what I need for the surge

The Outback has a great reputation. Dont think I can swing the price what with batteries and what-nots. I was really hoping the GS4048 would work but specs say it is just a tad under what I need for the surge
The growatt low frequency inverter will produce 3x their rated power look at them on eBay via signature solar seller and he is quick to answer questions and they are very reasonably prices. Yes they are chines and not that efficient but no low frequency inverters are. A 12,000 watt unit that surges to 36,000 watt would start most pumps or you can get smaller units and you can even stack smaller units etc. There are many other choices. I dont have one.

A general reply: I have pulled as large as 3hp well pump from 200 ft. Yes its a big chore but not that bad with a tripod and a chain hoist or boat winch. I also had a pump removed before that by well company for $300 that was just to pull the pipe and pump out of the well nothing else no diagnosis etc. You may have to search to find a company willing to do this at any price but mine did. I think largely because I replaced the downpipes with one piece Polyethylene pipe which they didn't deal with. This makes it very easy to remove DIY next time . Good cable or rope on motor just tie to car and drive away pulling the pump up. The pipe has no connections except at each end to leak . much lighter and the pump was about 20 lbs. Wis i had put a valve at bottom with rope to release the water from the pipe and the whole thing would have weighed about 70 lbs ( pipe pump and wire) i could have pulled it by hand easy for 2 people in the future.
So here is what I did.
Supplies Grundfus 10 SQ 180 3/4 hp soft start 3 inch pump
already had wiring and well
Polyethylene pipe 1 1/4 inch from menards 300 feet
Stainless fitting for ends of PE pipe
Tape
wire splice waterproof kit
If you need to make tripod and buy chain hoist from say harbor freight or boat winch and pulley or snatchblock about $150 and a half day work.
Supplier Menards local and Aquascience. Tip make sure you tie a stainless steel cable or rope that doesn't deteriorate to pump before reinstalling.
Total cost about $1150 SAVED MORE THAN THAT IN INVERTER AND BATTERIES EXTRA COST
Time spent about 4 hours
Now I can change anything on it out in less than 2 hours including the pump
NO START UP SURGE AT ALL

I HIGHLY recommend the Hyperengineering Surestart devices also. They can reduce large induction moron startup surge ( like HVAC and Well motors) by 70% or more . It reduced my geothermal unit startup by 75% !!!

Back