diy solar

diy solar

Identify cells on 48V 100ah rack battery

Kalinkoland

Hi guys,

I have purchased some rack batteries. They claimed that it is with LiFePO4 cells. However I have looked closely into the test report and found that they used some odd looking pouch cell. 3.2v 50ah (see attached photo)

I have seen that it is possible to get LiFePO4 cells in pouches, but I have my concerns. After A LOT of arguing with the company they finally released their data sheet for the cells.

The datasheet says Lithium Polymer (see attached file) but however the specs is not like a Lithium Polymer but exactly like a LiFePO4 cell. The company claim that these are in fact LiFePO4 pouches. I just dont believe them anymore.

It is quite a big order from this company and I have paid 30% up front. I am willing to loose these money in order not to pay 70% of some batteries that is unsellable in the EU.

I have also attached the test report.

Hope someone can help, as I will not sell a battery pack that is with lithium polymer cells. I am only selling LiFePO4 cells.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 51 2V 100Ah-UN38 3.pdf
    766.6 KB · Views: 7
  • SEPFe11212268P--51Ah电芯规格书(165Wh)--181010.pdf
    660.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Pouchcells.png
    Pouchcells.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I agree, the specifications definitely look like LiFePO4's. The total pack voltage comes out to 3.2 volts per cell (51.2 / 16 cells). I know there's somebody who's going to jump on this for not being technical, but I've seen lithium iron phosphate cells advertised as Li-po's. I think technically all lithium cells fall under the Li-Po category, but not all li-po's are LiFePO4's.

It's like all squirrels are mammals but not all mammals are squirrels. Mammals are Li-Po, and squirrels are LiFePO4. The company that you bought the battery from is telling you that it's made with mammals.

I've definitely seen LiFePO4's in pouch format before, just not often. You could always double check to confirm, just fully charge the cells then measure voltage of a single cell, 3.5-3.7v is going to be LiFePO4, 4-4.3v is most likely the more flammable Li-Po.

Back