diy solar

diy solar

Idiot proof inverter backfeed ?

I am setting up a solar backup system to backfeed my home during power outages or emergencies. Of course I have to have the main breaker turned off to prevent backfeed to the grid, but is there a switch/relay I could install between my electric panel and my inverter to prevent accidental backfeed voltage damaging my inverter? My system is attached to a subpanel out in my barn. I want to make it idiot proof for the wife and teenage kids to be able to turn on if I am not home. With not being located at the main panel, a typical transfer bar system won’t work. I have seen magnetic relay systems in the past. What is the name of the switch that I need to install between the inverter and my subpanel? Of course there is the breaker in the subpanel connected to the inverter that would need to be switched on/off but I want to have additional safety features to not damage the inverter in case somebody does not follow the directions properly.
Thanks
First time posting answer .
Solar off grid builder, and backup power.
Your thinking is off just a little. My answer . Leave maine panel alone. Do not try to switch 200amp sevice. [ ats ] instead pull from main panel 50a double pull breaker . To 6000w or larger. inverter with pass through. from inverter, Feed sub panel with a 25a double maine breaker 25a L1 25a L2 . Put all lights, frige, plugs of house. Keeping all large , high wattage items on maine. Barn same thing. In doing so everything is powered by mains through pass-through of inverter. If power goes out mains off. Internal 50a ats will switch to inverter and power all the things on sub panel. NO MANUAL SWITCHING. But please do reasize you are not trying to power whole house power. That requires 100a , or 200a services and a shit ton of power storage. (Batterys) its call back up. In this way your stake stay frozen, your coffee perks. Your favorite tv show plays.
It is a fairly simple straightforward install

Your favorite tv show plays.
It is a fairly simple straightforward install
So my favorite tv show is off the air for 30 years. Are you saying an ATS will give me vintage FM television reception? I would have thought those radio waves were long since gone!

Are people overcomplicating this or have i misunderstood?

My inverter has a choice for grid or battery priority. Grid pass thru to house when available and auto switch to battery when there's a cut.

Commonplace here

Are people overcomplicating this or have i misunderstood?
Perhaps misunderstood
My inverter AIO / hybrid has a choice for grid or battery priority. Grid pass thru to house when available and auto switch to battery when there's a cut
There are different situations where different approaches are appropriate.

Listed UL1741 AIO’s can make this switchover. In some systems an independent ATS is required for safety purposes, or convenience, or more than one potential source, etc.

Not everyone has the same setup or requirements; it’s not always straightforward- especially if a vehicular system.

I think you have to run another set of cables between the barn and the house, then this becomes very easy and standard to solve. Size of the cable is going to depend how much power you want to move and how spendy you are feeling.

This is something you might consider.
You only need the CT monitoring the main power. somethining to think about. I'd be interested if other manufactures offer something similar.

Back